Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Using Honda 2000 to charge batteries on a 50amp system

OK, suppose you have a 5th wheel with a 50 amp system and want to charge the batteries. Can you use an adapter from 50 to 30 and then plug that into the Honda 2000 with the 30 amp plug to use just for charging, maybe while plugged in run some lights or tv or such other low current items? My thinking is this would allow the large inverter/charger to get the batteries up in good shape in a short time rather than just using the charger output of the Honda which is only a few amps. This is considering that the overall draw on the Honda is under the max rating of the generator. What say you, has anyone done this and how has it worked?
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Should be fine. I would just make sure that your AC is not turned on before firing up the generator.
troyrice76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyrice76 View Post
Should be fine. I would just make sure that your AC is not turned on before firing up the generator.
X2 on that.

I'd also not use the microwave.
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #4

Yes, the DC charging outlet on the Honda will be next to useless for a large battery or battery bank (if you want to achieve full charge within this century.) A 50-ish amp charger will draw 10 amps or more of AC at full output so it may use up just about all the eu2000's got, but there should be a few amps left over for other light loads. Given the high-quality power output of the inverter-based generators like the eu2000 your RV charger/converter should work great.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #5

I've installed a modern power converter in our older '88 Winnie, since we boondock a lot - and wanted the 40 amp battery charging capability of the new converter - works great with our Honda 2000i - charges batteries LOTS faster than the OEM converter 10 amp charge rate that came with the rig, and power to spare for other light demand coach needs while charging...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #6

No problem do it all the time uses less gas than the onan 4 k
85antique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:47 AM   #7

parallel

Hi

I have a pair of 2000i’s and the paralleling unit. They have no problem running the charger, 1 AC and lights. I operate the refrigerator and hot water heater on gas.

I haven’t used them since installing the LED lights.

3665RE
Old 05-24-2012, 03:26 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
How/where do you store the fuel while traveling?
CapnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:13 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tom, you will get a faster battery charge if you run a 120 VAC battery charger on the Honda and let it charge your battery.

For our trailer I have a pair of EU2000i in parallel. They easily run one A/C and a microwave if needed. If I don't need the A/C, we can run one and save fuel. I ahve a 6 gallon extended run tank for the units. We ahve pwoered field day from these (actually one) for a fe years. Never missed a lick.

Besure and drain the carb when you shut down, unless you will be running them about every 4 to 6 weeks.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnMorgan
How/where do you store the fuel while traveling?
I guess I should add, "if you are in a motor home.". Seems like storing gas in the basement would be dangerous.
CapnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Appreciate all the answers, now I just have to look up the current draw on the inverter/charger to make sure the Honda will handle it.

Ken, I think the 100 amp three stage charger will charge the bats (4 of them) better than a small car charger and I won't have to carry so much stuff around either. At least that is my thinking.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #12

Fuel

Hi

When we travel I carry 10 gallons of Diesel, 5 gallons of recreational fuel (no alcohol) and 2 gallons of 100LL avgas in the bed of the truck.

We don’t dry camp often and most of the time we use the 2000i’s when we arrive at an event that has run out of RV spaces.

I use the 100LL avgas to clean the 2000i’s fuel system after use so they store well.

I carry the diesel only when traveling in areas that I may have problems getting Diesel like the desert in the western part of the US.

I always have both 2000i’s dry of fuel in the front compartment where the generator would be mounted.

3665RE
Old 05-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I too, run my 50a rig on a EU2000 Honda generator. It will run everything but the AC. If I fill the fuel tank up @ 10:00 pm (+-2gallons, I think), it will run until about 5am without a hiccup. I only have 1 battery (12v) on my 5er, and the Honda keeps it charged up in the single-digit desert nights we often camp in. I do run the 2 fridges on LPG, though, as running them on electric power makes the Honda spool up pretty high.

Kevin
kevkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tom, I was assuming you had the old style charger.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries