Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2006, 01:39 AM   #1

I have had my Mobil Scout for a year now and have ask the dealer several times why I use so much propane (about 40# in 8 days) I only run the heater at night and @ 65 deg. I keep my water heater and frig on electricity. I traded in a Forest River last year same size and only 30# bottles and didn't use half the gas this one does. Can anyone give me a answer?
David Pressley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2006, 01:39 AM   #2

I have had my Mobil Scout for a year now and have ask the dealer several times why I use so much propane (about 40# in 8 days) I only run the heater at night and @ 65 deg. I keep my water heater and frig on electricity. I traded in a Forest River last year same size and only 30# bottles and didn't use half the gas this one does. Can anyone give me a answer?
Old 01-08-2006, 05:56 AM   #3

That is not that bad I have had 3 units all about the same.8 nights in a colder temp You can't get any better I would think.Bushman Eh
Old 01-09-2006, 03:23 PM   #4

I live full time in my 30.5 ft Prowler 5th wheel.

I live in Carson City, Nevada where the average temperatures since November has been 23 at night and 45 during daytime.

We have strong winds most days. Some gusts are 100 mph coming down off sierra Nevada Mountains. Local RVers refer to those gusts as "Pucker Winds".

I keep the thermostat set at 68 all day and night.
I cook with the gas stove every morning.
I run the water heater on propane only.

My average daily propane use is less than two gallons per 24 hr day.

However .... my monthly cost has over doubled this winter... from $1.25 per gallon last winter to $2.94 this winter..

The reason I included this information is because I think there must be something wrong with your heating system .. either that or you live in North Pole...

I suggest having it checked out by a licensed RV repairman.

Best of luck,
John
John Harrelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:40 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Compare the BTU rating of the furnaces, the larger it is the more gas it will use. You might also have a leak - check your lines using the soapy water test - not the lighter test There could also be differences in the amount of insualtion between the two rigs as well.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:16 PM   #6

Thank you very much for the replies.When I get back home I will check the BTU's and see if I have a bigger heater than the old one.They say the Mobil Scout has got very good insulation 7x7x11. I am also a full timer and wouldn't have it any other way. Right now I'm working in mexico hoping it will be warmer when I get home.