RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2018, 12:24 PM   #1

Vanleigh Quality

I am looking hard at the Vilano and Beacon fifth wheel. Any experience with them?

cassiesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2018, 02:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiesam View Post
I am looking hard at the Vilano and Beacon fifth wheel. Any experience with them?
I wish they had a dealer in Canada, you are fortunate. I would definitely put the Vilano at the top of my list. The Beacon is just a little more dressed up but I imagine more $ . They are one of the few manufacturers that is more of a family run business and haven't gotten so big they have lost sight of their customers unlike many others . Good luck

balticblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:37 PM   #3

Are you close enough to take a factory tour. For some, the tour convinced to buy and for others to run away. The Beacon and the Vilano have the exact same floor plans although model names differ. The Beacon is approx. $20K-30K more by making upscale options standard (e.g. full body paint, 8K axles, individual tile floor, heavier skirt material around finder wells and around bottom, etc.). I'm working with dealers to pickup a Beacon. Some dealers are authorized to sell Vilanos but not Beacons. Do you have a dealer you are working with?
RoadEyePie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
Are you close enough to take a factory tour. For some, the tour convinced to buy and for others to run away. The Beacon and the Vilano have the exact same floor plans although model names differ. The Beacon is approx. $20K-30K more by making upscale options standard (e.g. full body paint, 8K axles, individual tile floor, heavier skirt material around finder wells and around bottom, etc.). I'm working with dealers to pickup a Beacon. Some dealers are authorized to sell Vilanos but not Beacons. Do you have a dealer you are working with?

Not yet, just started looking
cassiesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:46 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiesam View Post
I plan to upgrade in the next 3 years and I to am interested in the Vanliegh but not a lot to see where Im at. There is a Vilano 100+ miles away I may take a look at just for kicks
Old 11-05-2018, 06:28 PM   #6

The Vanleigh was on my short list but after viewing a few and the factory tour, I became the run away group. I've made some posts of my experiences so rather than beat a dead horse look up my profile and posts.

After that if you have questions feel free to ask.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:48 PM   #7

We have had our Vilano 365RL since June 2017. After towing nearly 9000 miles and spending over 115 nights in it, we are as happy with it as the day we got it.

Problems have been few and minor. When we do have a problem/question, a quick call to Vannleigh is all it takes. I have been given the cell phone number and email address of both the CEO and the customer service manager.

We are 3 weeks in to a 6 month trip from Pennsylvania to Naples, Florida via the Grand Canyon, Sedona and Tombstone with the remaining stops TBD and are enjoying every minute in our Vilano.
johnsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:28 PM   #8

I saw the National Sales Manager for Vanleigh grab the valence box over the window of the slide out in a Beacon at the Hershey show and jerk it with all of his 200+ lbs like he was trying to rip it off the wall and it did not budge a bit. He said they were mounted into steel backer plates in the walls. It made a positive impression on me, along with many other things about the Vanleigh products.
RoadEyePie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:28 PM   #9

I live in the same town as The Tiffins, and drive by Van and Leigh Tiffin's factory often in Burnsville, Mississippi often (going to Memphis.) They appear to be growing in a controlled manner and are not a huge, huge factory--at least yet.

It is obvious that they were looking for a different direction to go after Leigh's 4 years as the place kicker for the University of Alabama. Their Tiffin Industries motorhome company has something like 1000 employees, and it was obvious that a young man would never have the financial resources to own such an operation.

I've read so much about Vanleigh, and what makes them different is in their customer support and a moderate quality fifth wheel for a fair price. And it's nice to know that people of high integrity are the owners, and likely to be there for many years to go. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one of their fifth wheels.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:17 PM   #10

I think Vanleigh has done an excellent job of balancing cost with features.

Lots of value for the dollar. I like the idea Bob Tiffin is a co-owner which should help with financial security and his knowledge of the RV business given he has been in it since something like 1972. I'll bet Vanleigh is getting better material pricing because of Tiffin's buying power and better access to dealerships?

All that said, the customer service is reportedly the finest. I've been on the Vanleigh Facebook page for a month now. Read everything I could find on factory service after the sale. Can't find a bad comment yet. And they publish everyone's phone number who can help you which includes managements. I sent an email to the general mailbox. On a Sunday with questions. Two hours later I received a personal email from their National Sales Manager asking that I send my questions to him and he will answer all of them. Monday morning at 6:40 am, he sent another email to me saying he would love to answer my questions that day. Same guy arranged for a customer's repairs, having been contacted on a Thanksgiving holiday.

Service after sale may be as or more important than quality which is only as good as the person that put it together at the factory.

In March of 2016 I sat down with the General Manager at the Kansas RV Center after they became a Vanleigh dealership. He said he considers it the replacement for the Hitchhicker that had recently been discontinued after Peterson stopped building them for the Kansas RV Center.

We are getting a Vilano 320GK after the first of the year. Looked at and evaluated a lot of trailers before this decision as I'm sure everyone does.
mds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:26 PM   #11

2019 375FL Quality

We are mostly pleased with our 2019 375FL. We have a couple issues that should have been caught but I am DIY so will fix them.

1. Leaky plumbing under the bathroom sinks. Easy fix by adding more pipe tape on the tail piece. My bad for not seeing this at the dealer.

2. Rear wall not sealed to my liking. There is visible light from the inside of the coach to the outside. Lots of other people report something similar with their Vilanos. This is remedied with some spray foam and an hour of my time. Not sure if this is a design flaw or if VL missed some caulking.

3. Some of the wood pieces look to be handled a little rough. Meaning there are a few dings here and there in the wood that in my opinion shouldnt have left the factory that way. But this is my opinion. Its pretty nit picky. But at the price point it would be nice if it wasnt like this.

4. This one is annoying, the 50 amp cord reel was installed incorrectly which caused the cord to bind up when retracting. This was a 20 minute fix however come on. Do it right the first time guys!

We opted to get the 8K Axles. I am glad we did. We also got the 3rd air conditioner and the sun shades. One of the sun shades needed some re adjusting but I took care of that. It was installed crooked.

VL is VERY responsive. They have real people answering the phones and those people participate on the FB group. I know that some folks have had a rough go with their units so there are some complaints in there. Its a bummer for sure.

Overall the coach is really nice looking and comfortable. We are pleased with it and I know that we will be taken care of by the factory service center if anything happens.

Side note-
Whatever you do dont trust your dealer. Look over everything yourself. They will LIE to you in an effort to get you out the door. La Mesa RV in Davis damaged my truck, said they would pay to get me to move off the lot and then basically said kiss my a** later when I sent the repair bill. I will never EVER use them or recommend them again.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:23 PM   #12

Good move adding the 8k axles jimbonnet. One thing that turned me off on the Vilano a long time ago, and to some degree now, is the cargo capacity is a little light for fulltiming with 7k axles. We are getting the 320GK which I think is the only one with over 3k in cargo capacity using the 7k axles.

So if I was getting one of their longer trailers, I'd add the extra axle weight also. What it an expensive option?

Mark
mds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:25 AM   #13

I am leaning towards a 34RLB (Beacon) preferably a used one. Between the 8k axles which bumps CCC towards 5000lbs, dual pane windows and sidewall protection of a full paint. It seems to be making more sense to me than to option up a Vilano, just my thoughts. I'm curious if the Vilano frame is made to support the added CCC if you upgrade the axles or are they manufactured to 7k specs.
5er2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:48 AM   #14

It was a little over $3000 to add the 8K axles but you also get H rated goodyear tires and 17.5" wheels included in the price. I think it was fair for peace of mind. My carrying capacity is over 3,000 pounds now and the GVWR is 18.5k.

My first change is pin box. Which, BTW, I believe they will do for you at the factory to an air ride box. We are hoping for a smoother ride for us and the rig. We literally got beat up yesterday in the slow lane coming home from our weekend trip. The road conditions are terrible around here.

-jim

Tags
quality