Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2017, 09:43 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Vanleigh Vilano

I looked at a vilano 5th wheel at lazy days and I like everything except the touch pad controls everything, no other control, even the black and gray dump valve is push button controlled.
Now do you really want you black water valve controlled by electricity?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2017, 10:00 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My rig has electric controls for the black, grey, fresh water fill and drain. No problems in the 2 1/2 years I've owned it. No idea about it before though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:09 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
so before you travel you just push the close button on black water, unhook and off you go.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:20 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
No, never leave the black tank valve open except to dump the tank.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:46 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I think the point was "what if it fails". The answer is, and I've only read it in my manual, that there is a manual overide.
KenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:55 PM   #6

My fifth wheel came standard with electric dump valves. The gray water works all the time. The black tank valve works half the time requiring a crawl under the trailer (at the dump station) and manually opening it with 1/8" hex key the other half. My attitude is that if you have the wherewithal to haul one of those large 5ers around you most likely have the ability to pull a drain valve handle. Having all your electric functions on a remote control sounds like a recipe to have non functioning stuff. My heater/air condition is remote control and is a pain. I would prefer dedicated switches or manual operation for everything.

If this is an option I wouldn't check the box. If standard it might be a deal killer for me. Showing my age here.
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:36 AM   #7

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilD View Post
My fifth wheel came standard with electric dump valves. The gray water works all the time. The black tank valve works half the time requiring a crawl under the trailer (at the dump station) and manually opening it with 1/8" hex key the other half. My attitude is that if you have the wherewithal to haul one of those large 5ers around you most likely have the ability to pull a drain valve handle. Having all your electric functions on a remote control sounds like a recipe to have non functioning stuff. My heater/air condition is remote control and is a pain. I would prefer dedicated switches or manual operation for everything.

If this is an option I wouldn't check the box. If standard it might be a deal killer for me. Showing my age here.
Well said! The visual image of having to crawl under a rig at the dump station is downright revolting.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:38 AM   #8

Your just seeing the same features in a 5er that have been in high end class A’s for a while. It’s not new but yes as all things electronic it will fail at some point.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:18 AM   #9

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Electric wastewater valves have also been available on a number of 5vers for several years. Until the manufacturers of electric valves come up with a conveniently located override, I'll stick with manual valves. When I can no longer pull a valve handle, it'll be time to find something other than RVing to do for fun.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:09 AM   #10

Ahh, but what about when the cable-pull valve fails also? No manual override available for that...just went thru this problem and disassembled the valve and replace seals. If it fails again, time to give the electric a try.
Neither one is fail-safe, never-fail or anything like that.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:55 PM   #11

We dry camp and have never been on sewer hook ups but I can see electronic valve being useful if we did.

Even if the electronic control/valve is made by the same manufacture it wouldn't surprise me is the units in trailers are a different quality/durability.

When I changed out the valves on ours I could have gone electronic or pull cable but the dump valves is one place I wanted things simple stupid.

I'll switch to electronic valves once remote control hoses are available.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:55 AM   #12

New to the Vilano group but old time 5th wheel explorer. I have a question regarding solar panel installation on the roof of the Vilano. I installed a ZAMP 100 watt panel on my previous Cedar Creek 34RLS and had great success with it keeping my 2-6volt Trojans up and charged.
Now we have a 2017, Vilano, 375 FL and I don't want an outdoor, free standing panel. I like to install one on the roof (again). Has anyone, as yet, installed a roof panel on the 375 FL with any success? The wire routing appears rather complicated. There is room in the hollow nose of the unit to run a cable but to get the wire back to the battery/storage compartment presents a problem. I'm open to suggestions.
J
John45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:11 PM   #13

Not familiar with your unit, but lots of 5ver owners run solar wires down the refrig vent or next to a soil stack/vent pipe. Cold right now up on the Modoc Plateau, eh?

Good luck!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:21 PM   #14

As for electric dump valves, my MH has 'em and they work great, until they don't, then you get to learn all about 'em!

But enough of me, you gotta have this:

https://www.garnetinstruments.com/pr...o-evac-system/

As for solar info, head over to the 'Going Green' forum at irv2
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote