Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2015, 07:24 PM   #1

Wall construction

So wondering what anyone's opinion on the type of wall construction used in today's rv's. ....pinch rolled vs. vacuum for a high humidity place like southeast texas.....popcorn :what:

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2015, 09:38 PM   #2

Interesting question...when I think of my rig I think the frame as the weak spot, then worry about the roof, then the axles. I really do not worry about the walls....until now. Thanks...lol.

Anytime I see the cross section of a wall I think it as the best part of today's build process.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:10 PM   #3

Properly glued high density foam is my preference like Blue Dow. Not a fan of 3.25" wall with fiberglass type insulation. My experience is it drops down and compacts.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:22 PM   #4
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
Properly glued high density foam is my preference like Blue Dow. Not a fan of 3.25" wall with fiberglass type insulation. My experience is it drops down and compacts.
Fiberglass insulation is best for things that don't shake & move around like trailers & motorhomes.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:58 AM   #5

I was at an rv dealer yesterday and went through several different brands both new and used. One of the used ones was vacuum bonded and had a very strong moldy smell and the salesman said it was mold in the walls from the higher humidity here in Southeast Texas. We were told that it was because of the vacuum bonding process allows for humidity to seep into the walls causing the mold. The unit was a 2013 big horn by heartland.

It just didn't sound right to me so I was just trying to get some opinions.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:41 AM   #6

Moldy smell could be rot somewhere. Check around slide outs at floor edges. Common spot for rot. Press up from bottom while outside. If soft, rot. Also front and rear cap area since roof joins at these points.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 04-21-2015, 11:44 PM   #7

Don't see how a vacubonded wall could absorb more moisture than hung or pinch rolled wall????? I'd say that rig has an issue.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:52 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Fiberglass insulation is best for things that don't shake & move around like trailers & motorhomes.
Never a problem in our hung wall Newmar Dutch Star after almost 13 years of ownership. When done right it's not a problem.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:15 AM   #9

I think that this particular unit has a specific problem but it is not caused by vacuum bonded construction. There was no sign of delamination anywhere to be found. If there was mold in the walls as the salesman claimed then that means moisture had gotten in there and if moisture was in the walls then there should have been signs of delamination....JMO...
Old 04-24-2015, 06:53 PM   #10
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Never a problem in our hung wall Newmar Dutch Star after almost 13 years of ownership. When done right it's not a problem.
Agreed if it is installed properly and the backing is glued in place, but if styrofoam board or similar type insulation is used there is no chance of it compressing or collapsing.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:29 PM   #11

Our Teton is 2003. Solid and no problems in walls or any area. Sad this company is no more.