Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2015, 11:08 PM   #1

Want to add a second entrance door

Hello, all. My wife and I are looking at buying a DRV Suites 43' Manhattan in the near future. This coach has a small room in the back end that contains bunk beds and a second bathroom. My wife and I are both cyclists and we'd like to take out the bunks and use the space to store our bicycles and related equipment. The perfect scenario would be to add an additional entrance into this area to avoid dirtying up the living room with sweat, mud, wear and tear, etc. I can order a new trailer with this door in it from the factory, but I'd just as soon find a good used one at a much-reduced price, then pay to have another door put in. Has anyone ever done anything like this, or would it be too hard (read that as expensive) to be structurally sound? If you think it could happen, where would you have something like this done? Thanks for any help or advice you can give me on this.
tampabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2015, 02:16 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would consult with a RV Collision Repair Facility to see if it can be done and remain structurally sound. I expect beefing up the frame and welding will be required. The modification may not be cost feasible.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:16 PM   #3

Does the back bathroom not have an outside door?

Never mind, I just looked at the floor plan (nice coach). I bet you could replace that back window with a door.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:20 PM   #4

For a list of RV new and salvage parts dealers, see http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?action=Parts

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:47 AM   #5

DRV will put one in for you, just consult with them. Have seen several of the 43s with the rear door. DRV is pretty good about working with customers on these type options.
Might take some time to find one used, as the longer ones are just getting popular.
Also, if you find one without the door, check with Paul Cross, CrossRV.com as to putting a door in it. He is an expert on DRVs and used to work at the factory.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
DRV will put one in for you, just consult with them. Have seen several of the 43s with the rear door. DRV is pretty good about working with customers on these type options.
Might take some time to find one used, as the longer ones are just getting popular.
Also, if you find one without the door, check with Paul Cross, CrossRV.com as to putting a door in it. He is an expert on DRVs and used to work at the factory.
Joe
Funny you would suggest Paul. I actually got in touch with him a couple of days ago and he wants more info (width of opening, etc.), but said he could probably put one in. I've read many good things about him and the service he provides. I have found several used units for sale out there, but you are correct in that there's not a lot of them. Hopefully, when I'm ready to buy in just less than a year, I'll find a cream puff at a good price.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:46 AM   #7

From what I have seen in used pricing, they come down in value on the used market more so than the 38-40s, so you just might find a good deal. I would keep watching at
RVTrader.com for what is listed--you may have to be ready to pounce if the right one comes up.

http://nationalmultilist.com/listing...ting_id=179348

Here is an old listing, probably not available now. But it had a handicap ramp for a wheelchair in the rear section. I had seen this in person in Alaska when it was brand new, had a lot invested in custom work.

Joe
Old 04-24-2015, 06:52 AM   #8

I to am searching for the same coach, but haven't found many used models out there. We are looking for the Manhattan primarily due to having younger kids and not wanting a door in their room for safety.

May I ask how to arrive at a decent used price on a Manhattan? Do you use the NADA value and subtract a certain percent? On new units it seems like the general consensus is targeting 20-30% off of MSRP. Just trying to get my facts straight.
BPM80CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:52 PM   #9

From the two RV comparison guides I bought last year, they both say the average markup on a new RV is about 35%. That means you can probably get one for 32 to 33% off of the sticker price. I'm assuming that same mindset from any dealer would apply to a used one, and I'd start with taking 35% right off of the advertised price. If you're looking for a high demand unit, and I think we both are, then I'd expect them to not chop as much off. When I'm ready to buy, I'll be able to go look at any unit anywhere in the country, so I'll have some flexibility if dealers want to play hardball. Individual sellers are a whole 'nother story.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:45 PM   #10

Thanks for the response. In a similar boat, not restricted to location, but was curious on used prices as i have hardly seen used Manhattans for sale.

Are you entertaining the idea of buying new?

From your profile image looks like you've spent some time in Colorado on Independence Pass. I live if Denver, native actually.
BPM80CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:35 AM   #11

My wife and I went to a local dealer last Monday to look at some used DRV coaches. While we were there, I decided to humor myself and price a new one with a salesman. He's the one that actually told me that a second door could be added at the factory. I knew DRV did some customization, but not something like that. A new Manhattan would be 125 to 130k. I think I can find one next year for somewhere in the 80's, then see about having a back door installed. And yes, my profile pic is from the Ride the Rockies bicycle tour I did a few years ago. You live in a beautiful state.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabiker View Post
And yes, my profile pic is from the Ride the Rockies bicycle tour I did a few years ago. You live in a beautiful state.
Congrats on the Ride the Rockies! That is a tough one - and yes, we DO live in a beautiful state!

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:15 PM   #13

A door could be added, but you'd want the same door that you currently have. You'd probably have to purchase it thru a DRV dealership's parts. It may take a professional to shore up the bottom of the doorway at the floor.

It sounds as if you really needed to buy a toyhauler trailer when you bought your unit.

If you have any questions about DRV's, I suggest you contact RVsForLess.net in Knoxville. The owner is Butch, and he's DRV's largest single location dealership. He's always got DRV trade in's in stock, too. Butch is a great guy, and he specializes in fifth wheel trailers only.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:21 PM   #14

Actually, he hasn't bought anything yet--just thinking ahead if he gets the DRV he is thinking about...
Joe

Tags
door