Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #1

Want to add storage under 5ers

I just wanted to know if anyone has added storage space under their 5er? I just lifted my camper so it will ride level and thought that there is alot of wasted space under there. My idea is to make a metal frame no lower than the axles and to come forward about 6 ft. I could then add a battery box or maybe use it to store chairs etc. Any thoughts ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #2

What about getting truck toolboxes! Might be easier

Old 06-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #3

Truck boxes are good for tools but I was planiing on carrying things that are bulky(Portable waste tank, small generator, paddles and PFDs ) for example. I know all this could be carried in the camper and in the box but I just thought it was useful space and since this camper now sits so high compared to before that I thought this idea would lower the center of gravity and smooth out the undercarriage. I was planning to taper the front of the box.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
On my rig, I had occasion to have to access the underbelly to get at a tank valve. If you do fabricate something, make sure you don't block access to anything that may require attention at some point in the future.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #5

I have thought about doing that myself. It's on my "bucket list".
Old 06-29-2012, 07:40 AM   #6

It's good to know that I am not the only one who sees usable space. Now I will get to work on it and will repost with pictures.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Think about your pin weight, etc. before doing your placement...

maybe you want it BEHIND the towables axles instead of in front if the pin weight will be too much for your TV...

maybe the strain on your rv's frame will be too much .... be very careful... or be light on the loading
Old 06-29-2012, 08:23 AM   #8

I'm not planning on loading it with heavy articles other than an extra battery or two. Mostly bulky things like folding chairs, portable gas grill, solar panel, etc. Not sure how someone can measure the pin weight yet. I may also add a second storage box behind the axles for balance.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:33 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
go to the cat scales... http://catscale.findlocation.com/
load up and pay the $9.50 to get all three axles weighed...

then go back and say reweigh with just the truck and pay $1.00 IIRC to get the truck weight...

the difference between the truck weight (front + rear) before and after is your pin weight...

make sure the weight on your rear axle is not over your RAWR
nor is the pin weight + truck alone weigh is over your trucks GVWR...

good luck !

(and there have been dips when I drug the bottom of my trailer :( )
Old 06-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #10

I too only plan to carry portable dump tank and other light weight articles.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #11

I plan to eventually do the same to store my ladder and portable waste tank!
Old 07-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #12

Ground clearance

Hi

We are pulling a 39 ft 5th wheel. I does look like a lot of room under there. But we have already drug the trailer frame behind the axels getting out of a parking lot just off the Interstate in Atlanta. Also I have been stuck in 2 travel parks and both times I noted that when I jacked the truck and trailer up to get the wheels on plywood that there wasn’t hardly any room between the frame and the ground. Remember when you do fall thru some improperly prepared grave or asphalt that the trailer goes down to the axels. Also remember that the axels are in a different location when loaded than when unloaded.

Look at where your waste out let is. Probably just forward of the axels, which is the least likely place to get damaged in case, you “high center” your trailer.

The best thing I have seen is large diameter PVC DWV pipe with screw in caps fastened to the frame crossways just in front of the axels and just behind the axels similar to your waste outlet. I have seen some long ways parallel to the frame and in between the flanges.

3665RE

Tags
storage