Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2009, 10:59 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
want to cushion B&W Companion ride

Bought a new 16k B&W companion hitch and am pulling my new Eagle ridge 37'er. The ride on my Chevy (08 3/4 ton diesel w/6.5 bed) is rougher than I would like.

Does anyone make an air ride or some other type of conversion to softer the pull. I'm very happ with the total setup but would like to softer the trip for more hours on the road.

Thanks

Tom

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2009, 06:14 AM   #2

You might try one of the pinboxes with the air ride built in.

Trailair's airpin, airborne, among others...

Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:36 PM   #3

Hi,

I own a B&W Gooseneck. I towed for some time on a fifth wheel to gooseneck conversion that served me well. I found out that when I went to pick up my new trailer, the manufacturer would void the warranty on my camper's frame if I used this set up.

I think "No problem, I just buy the companion fifth wheel hitch"

Well, when I went to speak with m B&W representative, she told me there was a problem with cracking the welds on short bed frames. I don't know if your truck would be affected by this. I use an 08 dodge diesel short bed. Just wanted to pass that along.

BTW, she did not try to sell me anything else, she simply is a good woman who wanted to make sure I was informed.

Not sure if that bears on your set up or not, and I'm passing it along as just a RUMOR unless someone can get some actual data from B&W about it.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:28 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
B&W hitch and frame cracking

Thanks for the replys. I talked to B&W about the frame cracking problem ans he confirms that its not the truck that might experience cracking but the 5th wheel converted to gooseneck. Heartland and Forrest River confirm that the gooseneck conversion on a trailer built for a 5th wheel puts extreem stress on the trailer frame and since cracking can occur the warrantee can be voided.

Check with B&W again and with the trailer manufacturer and I hope that they confirm my understanding.

It looks like MORERYDE or Trailair would be my best choice for cushoning. It is not severe but anoying on our rough Missouri roads.

Best of luck and let me know what you find out.

Tom
Old 04-28-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
North Central Texas Area Leader

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I have had my B&W Companion 5ver Hitch for 5 years in a short bed Dodge 3500 and absolutely stand by it. Smooth ride and tows like it is not back there.

I did re-install the shocks on my trailer as keystone had mounted them where they were non-functional and actually broke. This smoothed out the ride a great deal after I moved the shock mounts to a new location where the trailer shocks could actually work.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:31 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcps View Post
Thanks for the replies. I talked to B&W about the frame cracking problem and he confirms that its not the truck that might experience cracking but the 5th wheel converted to gooseneck. Heartland and Forest River confirm that the gooseneck conversion on a trailer built for a 5th wheel puts extreme stress on the trailer frame and since cracking can occur the warrantee can be voided.
This is nothing new. Try a search (see toolbar above) on "gooseneck adapter" and be prepared for lots of reading.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:59 PM   #7

Jayco is the company that recommended against the gooseneck adapter.

As far as the frame of the truck, the lady was quite adamant about it being the companion fifth wheel that broke the trucks. HOWEVER, upon calling B&W, they seem to know nothing about this, and speak only to the gooseneck adapter being a bad idea. So, I am not sure what the old lady was talking about.

Speaking of which, how is your cab clearance with the companion fifth wheel and the short bed? Since there seem to be no ACTUAL problems, I may just buy one now instead of ripping out my gooseneck.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:09 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRVer View Post
Speaking of which, how is your cab clearance with the companion fifth wheel and the short bed?
I'll jump in for Don and answer your question - his truck has made contact with his 5th wheel's front cap on both rear cab pillars.

You'll be hard pressed to find any 5th wheel manufacturer that endorses the use of a gooseneck adapter. A 5th wheel trailer is designed differently than a gooseneck trailer because of the radically different loading imposed on the frame.

Rusty
Old 04-29-2009, 08:22 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Shot bed

Fortunately my new Heartland Eagle Ridge has the corners angled so I don't have as bad a problem. My one problem did occur because not enough clearance between the trailed and the top rail of the bed because of the crazy height Chevy and the rest are making the trucks and bed sides now days. I bent the rear of the bed rail when backing on very uneven ground. Fortunately, new bed rail covers hide the small dent. Couln't push out dent because the paint cracked.

My companion hitch was adjusted all the way up so I'll just have to be extremly cautious from now on.

Good luck, were heading out for a week where there no phones or internet in the wilds of Missouri state parks.

Let us know what you decide.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:41 AM   #10

Just from the sound of all the potential difficulties, I'm going to go with the Reese slider offered by my dealer. Like I said, I only used that gooseneck adapter on a very old (and light) trailer.

After totaling my Eagle Super Lite, I just don't have the stomach to break my truck, too.

ITCPS-
Long time ago, my old camper made contact with the rails once when it hit a curb on a U-Turn. Popped up the one side and SMACK. Same, small dent that will be covered by bedliner and new bed rails. I couldn't do it with the old camper, but when I took delivery of my Super Lite, I had them move the axles all the way up, which left me with no clearance issues. I agree the height and bedsides on the newer trucks is a bit ridiculous.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:03 PM   #11
North Central Texas Area Leader

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
I'll jump in for Don and answer your question - his truck has made contact with his 5th wheel's front cap on both rear cab pillars.

Rusty
Yep I found out early on that I could turn about 85 degrees but not 90. Small matching dents on the truck cab on each side now. Thank goodness no damage to the Trailer Cap. I am just real careful now and do not turn 90 degrees. While the prudent choice probably would have been a slider hitch, I still like my B&W hitch enough to keep it. I'll get around to fixin the dents one of these days along with the hole in the fender ( but that's another story )

IMHO there is no way the B&W Hitch could cause a problem for the truck frame in either the gooseneck or 5th wheel application. I think that lady was seriously misinformed.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:11 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I'm with Don on this one. B&W had the first 5th wheel hitch approved for the 3rd Generation Dodge hydroformed truck frames back when the 2003 Dodge heavy duty trucks were introduced, and I haven't seen any reports of frame cracking associated with the B&W design.

Our B&W turnoverball gooseneck with the companion 5th wheel hitch is still going strong in our 2002 2nd Generation Dodge since the fall of 2001.

Rusty
Old 04-29-2009, 02:30 PM   #13

Misinformation it is now deemed

Tags
heartland