Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #1

Warranty: Full-Timing

We are a full-timing family looking into a toy-hauler.

We have been told that certain manufacturers will void their warranties if you are full-timing. Have you experienced this? Do you have recommendations on units? We are looking at the Heartland and have been told that the Heartland is designed with full-timers in mind.
bpendley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #2

Heartland has a couple of their rigs warrantied FT use - Landmark and I believe Bighorn. The Cyclone is not technically, but after speaking to Heartland directly they told me they would never turn down a warranty claim for a Cyclone if the owners were FTing. I suggest looking at the construction of which ever TH you are interested and look beyond the fit an finish. If you are going to FT, you need a unit that will last. You can ask me what I recommend or you can simply look at my profile and see what kind of TH I have ! Good luck!
Old 07-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Never heard of mfrs voiding warranties for full-timing, but I guess it's possible. The usual "void" for a warranty is not following manufacturer-recommended maintenance.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt
Never heard of mfrs voiding warranties for full-timing, but I guess it's possible. The usual "void" for a warranty is not following manufacturer-recommended maintenance.
Happened to us with our previous 2010 fifth wheel.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAMTJ

Happened to us with our previous 2010 fifth wheel.
Ouch..l stand corrected then. Sorry to hear that.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Unless it is clearly stated in the paperwork, I can see how they can legally get away with denying the claim. Our rig states specifically it is not for full time use, so I suppose they could get away with it, but I don't see a chart in the manual that states how many days constitute full time. If you stay in a hotel for 1 week per year, technically you are not full time.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Actually, a very large number of units will not be covered if used for FTing. The warranty will usually same something to the effect of "warranty does not apply if used as a residential living unit" or some such thing. Now many times, they don't know how you are using it, so it doesn't become an issue.

But as someone else mentioned, it usually says a lot about how the rig is built. There is a significant difference in wear on a rig that gets used seven or eight weeks a year, or for that matter, 4 or 5 months a year back and forth to a snowbird destination, and the wear on a rig that is lived in 365-24/7, and dragged all over the country.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #8

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpendley View Post
We are a full-timing family looking into a toy-hauler.
We have been told that certain manufacturers will void their warranties if you are full-timing. Have you experienced this? Do you have recommendations on units?.
You might want to take a look at the New Horizons line of toy haulers. They are designed/built specifically for full timing and will tailer the rig to your needs. Here is a link to their web site:

Motomover | New Horizons RV | Luxury Full Time RV & Custom Fifth Wheels

we are full timers and very happy with their workmanship and post sales support.
greyt-parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:52 AM   #9

DRV now has a toy hauler
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote