Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2016, 01:45 PM   #1

Warranty work

Mr and the wife are looking at mid bunk 5vers and are a little ways out so not in a hurry. Been reading more about getting warranty work done and am leaning more towards a company that allows outside repair company's, or better yet me to repair it. So what I am looking for is which companies would allow this with the least amount of hassle? FYI we are looking at jayco and sandpiper on the top of our list.

Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 01:52 PM   #2

You can buy parts from any manufacturer. Some will make you order through the parts department of a dealer (like keystone) and others will sell directly to you, so I think you are covered either way.

I have had to order from the parts department at the dealer a few times. Pretty painless, and they ship it directly to me and often just done over the phone.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:51 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmech View Post
So what I am looking for is which companies would allow this with the least amount of hassle? FYI we are looking at jayco and sandpiper on the top of our list.
This IS an issue. Here's the Keystone example when our LED lights (all) failed one by one, under warranty while traveling:
1) Called Keystone - "you need to call a dealer, here are their numbers"
2) Called 3 dealers - "did you buy it here?" No, we won't look at it or we can look at it in 90 days. You have to bring it to us or we can't warranty claim the lights.
3) Called purchasing dealer, 1200 miles away. Bring it back.. Not really an option. OK, send us the failed lights, we'll exchange.

So we shipped the dealer failed lights, they used those for a warranty claim, Keystone wouldn't ship direct, shipped to dealer, dealer shipped to us. Took 3 weeks. That's 3 weeks without any interior lighting. I offered to pay for the lights up front - but Keystone will ONLY ship to a dealer.

Keystone is an example of a company that won't take your word for it, relies completely on the dealers, and even the dealer has to jump through hoops.

Not all are like that. I believe Jayco will operate direct (they've sold me parts in the past). Grand Design has a GREAT reputation of shipping parts right to the consumer AND/OR allowing non-dealer warrantied repair work.

I don't know if Jayco will authorize non-dealer repairs, unless you're in a bind..
Old 05-25-2016, 09:45 PM   #4

I have a jayco dealer near me, just not one that sells what I want. Thus the warranty questions. And if I go to the second choice, which is a sandpiper, I'm wondering how they are at the same. I can do just about any repair outside of major frame or structural repairs.

Anywho thanks for the responses.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:58 AM   #5

Evergreen allows outside warranty work. It may depend on the sub-brand. Our Lifestyle has one of the best warranties and we can get work done anywhere.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:48 PM   #6

Haven't looked at them in a while. I'll have to take another look
Old 05-28-2016, 08:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
This IS an issue. Here's the Keystone example when our LED lights (all) failed one by one, under warranty while traveling:
1) Called Keystone - "you need to call a dealer, here are their numbers"
2) Called 3 dealers - "did you buy it here?" No, we won't look at it or we can look at it in 90 days. You have to bring it to us or we can't warranty claim the lights.
3) Called purchasing dealer, 1200 miles away. Bring it back.. Not really an option. OK, send us the failed lights, we'll exchange.

So we shipped the dealer failed lights, they used those for a warranty claim, Keystone wouldn't ship direct, shipped to dealer, dealer shipped to us. Took 3 weeks. That's 3 weeks without any interior lighting. I offered to pay for the lights up front - but Keystone will ONLY ship to a dealer.

Keystone is an example of a company that won't take your word for it, relies completely on the dealers, and even the dealer has to jump through hoops.

Not all are like that. I believe Jayco will operate direct (they've sold me parts in the past). Grand Design has a GREAT reputation of shipping parts right to the consumer AND/OR allowing non-dealer warrantied repair work.

I don't know if Jayco will authorize non-dealer repairs, unless you're in a bind..
That is simply not true. Keystone has shipped directly to me 3 times now. Yes the dealer arranged it. All I had to do was provide part numbers over the phone to the dealer, then a box shows up at my door a few days later. Sorry you are still having such a hard time. Sounds like your dealer maybe the problem, not Keystone. We keep having this conversation don't we?
Old 06-04-2016, 02:54 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ditto on Keystone (Thor Industries). Will only talk with an authorized dealer, will only ship to an authorized dealer, will only honor work done by an authorized dealer. Takes 2 to 6 weeks to get into an authorized dealer. When you get in they diagnose the problem, identify needed parts and call Keystone for authorization to do the work. Once authorized, the dealer will order the parts. Typical lead time for parts delivery is 1 to 2 weeks, the dealer will then fit you back into their repair schedule. We have had to wait as long as 6 weeks for parts to come from Keystone. There is no way to speed this process up, we have been through it 3 times in our first year of ownership. Worse the major issue we have had is with a slide and 3 dealers have worked on it and none has ever been able to successfully fix it. Now it is an issue again and off warranty, Keystone says take it to an authorized dealer and have them submit the claim and Keystone will look at it on a case by case basis.
My advice is never ever buy anything from Thor Industries (check SEC settlements for fraud), especially Keystone products Montana and Airstream.
Sjh
Old 06-04-2016, 03:18 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
That is simply not true. Keystone has shipped directly to me 3 times now. Yes the dealer arranged it. All I had to do was provide part numbers over the phone to the dealer, then a box shows up at my door a few days later. Sorry you are still having such a hard time. Sounds like your dealer maybe the problem, not Keystone. We keep having this conversation don't we?
Keystone will not sell parts direct, lets be clear on that. Sounds like your dealer got Keystone to ship to you after you bought from the dealer. I'm glad you're having better luck.

When we lost all our lighting, I called Keystone - they gave me the standard verbiage of referring to their warranty terms and that I needed to see a dealer. My work was warranty. Lots of comments on the internet that I'm not unique in this experience.

Were you paying for these parts? I wonder if that's the difference.

I don't dispute that it worked for you, but I can tell you that Keystone wouldn't do a darn thing about it for me without going through a dealer. And the dealers wouldn't take it inside of 90 days if I didn't buy it there. One flat refused to take it at all.

Yes, my dealer could do better - maybe that's a difference. It's bad enough that it's about to get litigious on my end with Keystone.

I have an issue that my dealer has tried to repair 3 times. I called Keystone this week, asking if I had any "other" options than taking it back, they simply referred me to the service manager at the place that has made 3 repair attempts. No other options available. They said they'd continue to "warranty" the issue, but basically I was stuck with that dealer.

I'd say that Grand Design is the best I know about in terms of allowing non-dealer repairs based on consumer feedback.

I've seen Jayco allow it in certain circumstances (such as a consumer stuck at a camp-site).
Old 06-05-2016, 07:38 PM   #10

Thank you for all your input. I have taken it all to heart and will be using all the info I collect in making our decision. This forum is of great help.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:16 AM   #11

Simple solution for NON warranty parts required for most 5er brands: just go to www.etrailer.com and you will find most parts needed. I am not connected any way with them other than placing recent orders and getting excellent service.
Catfish
Old 11-04-2016, 05:28 PM   #12

Park model

Keystones was willing to ship to me direct if replacement item ,which dealer had in stock and not an exact copy, did not meet our expectations. We live 200 miles from our dealer. We ended up going with replacement.
gnirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:13 PM   #13

Don't know how many of these there are but I'd expect any RV manufacturer that sells only direct should let you get work done most places. Augusta RV currently works this way. Since they don't have a dealer network they can't exactly expect you to bring your RV back to Indiana for service.

We recently had brake problems while traveling in Canada. Had 2 places work on them and paid for an on-call tech to fabricate custom brake lines. Augusta reimbursed for all charges including the on-call charge no questions asked.
Old 11-05-2016, 03:07 PM   #14

I have never taken my Redwood back to a dealer. I have a mobile tech that contacts crossroads and they send the part. They have sent me direct new motors for my swintech slides and I sent the bad ones back. They have been very good to deal with. They are also owned by Thor. You need to remember that the manufactor under the Thor umbrella are really stand alone companies and one does not necessarily do what the other does.