RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2019, 06:15 AM   #99

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
Still, 500 watts for 15 minutes every 7 hours seems like a hugely excessive amount of defrost.
Well, took another look at the spec and it is defrost every 6 to 96 hours of compressor time. I ran the test in relatively high humidity so the cycle ran every 7 hours or so. 500 watt heater and max defrost cycle is 26 minutes so the cut out thermistor on the evaporator shortened it some in my unit under those conditions.

Seems to be functioning normally and to spec.

Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2019, 02:06 PM   #100

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
I am not familiar with the Solitude but does it automatically switch between the shore and inverter power? Mine has a transfer switch that changes to inverter when I unplug from shore power and vice versa. I assume he has checked to be sure it is working when not on shore power.

We have traveled all day long without any issues with our Samsung fridge. We have 2 6 volt batteries that do the work. It draws very little power, especially it you don't open it up much. We don't boondock so no comments there. I have been down the Norcold road and never again.
Jim,
I'm not familiar with a transfer switch that automatically switches from inverter to shore power for the residential refrigerator or that PI installed them in EXCEL trailers. As you can see in the photo below, my 2013 GKE has a 110 VAC plug for use when on shore power and an inverter for when not on shore power.

When on shore power, I plug into the 110 VAC. When on batteries, I plug into the inverter and turn on inverter. Fortunately, I have not failed to switch the fridge power source when switching from shore power to inverter or back to shore power.

I'm just guessing, but maybe you are plugged into the inverter all the time. When on shore power, the converter charges the batteries and the inverter provides 110 VAC from the batteries. When not on shore power, the inverter still provides 110 VAC from the batteries. This would seem like there is some switching going on but you are actually on the inverter all the time.

If this is not the case and you have some kind of switch, please enlighten me. I am so paranoid that I will forget to switch power source and not realize it until the frozen foods are defrosted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fridge power.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	280.1 KB
ID:	256779

CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:44 PM   #101

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLnJANIS View Post
...If this is not the case and you have some kind of switch, please enlighten me. I am so paranoid that I will forget to switch power source and not realize it until the frozen foods are defrosted.

Attachment 256779
You need an automatic transfer switch. You can get a Xantrex 15 amp switch, a male 15 amp plug and a female 15 amp receptacle. Wire the plug and receptacle to the two free ends of the switch, plug everything in, leave the inverter on and it will just switch automatically. Your inverter will idle when shore power is present and your reefer will always be powered. No more worrying about if you switched it...ever.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	15 amp plug.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	256789   Click image for larger version

Name:	15 amp receptacle.jpg
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	256790  

Name:	inline-transfew.jpg
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	256791  
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:53 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski37 View Post
I have a 2019 KZ Durango Gold 380FLF with 18 cu ft Norcold refer. Is it generally possible to get the old unit out of 30” door? I so wish I had opted for a resi unit. We do next to 0 time w/o at least electric hookup and 90% at full hook up sites. I hate worrying about being off level for an hour in Walmart parking lot, worrying about fire, dealing with melty ice cream. I see the unit at Amazon is $5K and would have used that money for something else. Regards Ron

When we replaced our OEM Norcold the RV custom shop removed a window and then used a forklift and platform to take the Norcold out and put the Residential in.

They said that is the normative industry practice for reefer swap-outs.

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5K
Gray01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:00 PM   #103

Quote:
Jim,
I'm not familiar with a transfer switch that automatically switches from inverter to shore power

Our inverter has an integrated transfer switch and A/C pass-through so that when shore power is available it automatically prioritizes that, and then switches to inverted power when shore power is removed.

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5K
Gray01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:56 AM   #104

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Jim,
I'm not familiar with a transfer switch that automatically switches from inverter to shore power for the residential refrigerator.

If this is not the case and you have some kind of switch, please enlighten me. I am so paranoid that I will forget to switch power source and not realize it until the frozen foods are defrosted.
Thanks everyone, it never crossed my mind that an inverter transfer switch existed. Looks like another project.

I was planning to get a bigger inverter anyway so I could run 110 VAC to the kitchen so I could make a cup of coffee or burn some toast when not on shore power or the generator.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:40 AM   #105

If that's the case, you can shop for an inverter with the transfer switch built in.

PS: I make coffee with a 1000 watt inverter. My portable Kerig draws 800 watts.
We don't carry a roster but you can check the watts of it. Less then 1000 and it will work.

Here is another add on ATS. Its hard wired and gets rid of the plugs.
Quote:
Thanks everyone, it never crossed my mind that an inverter transfer switch existed. Looks like another project.

I was planning to get a bigger inverter anyway so I could run 110 VAC to the kitchen so I could make a cup of coffee or burn some toast when not on shore power or the generator.

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-08-14-07-39-42.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	256833
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:28 AM   #106

If you are shopping for an inverter already, get one that has an internal a/c switch and is large enough to power the fridg and a coffee maker. Wire it to the fridg and a receptacle in the kitchen.

Tags
fridge