Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2015, 05:35 PM   #1

Washer and Dryer or not?

One of the options I'm considering ordering on my Redwood is a stackable washer and dryer…a 1600.00 option according to the local dealer. Thats a lot of laundry. Trying to decide if the convenience is worth that over the long run… Any insight would be welcome This is going to be my new home for years and I have the money…just seems very expensive.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2015, 06:05 PM   #2

I used to spend at least $25 a week doing laundry, dealing with filthy laundries where people put who knows what in the machines. That is about $1300 spent for laundry in a year. So it does not take long to recoup the money spent on the washer/dryer set. We are full timers, have stackables, and would not be without them. We can do laundry when we want to, usually first thing in the morning or in the evening when we are sitting around in our pj's. We only do laundry a couple of times a week and we do not have to carry huge amounts of clothing. Some would rather have the space for storage. Keep in mind that the dryer is 120 v and will take longer than a residential unit. In the end, you have to decide what is best for you. They are very popular accessories though.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:15 PM   #3

Thanks for the input…that just sold me on the washer and dryer. The convenience and from what you pointed out as cost in a year made this a no brainer. Seems expensive compared to a residential washer and dryer for a house but the points you make … plus the time spent hauling it to and from a laundry adds up. Im still in price negotiations on the unit…may see If I can get a bit of a break from the dealer...
Old 06-22-2015, 06:16 PM   #4

My opinion is on our coach we wouldn't own an RV without one. Our Splendide washer/dryer extra capacity VENTED broke a hinge and I had to order a part and get it shipped to a future campground. In the meantime while we were camping we had to use laundromats and/or campground washers. Never again if I can help it! Dirty, poorly drying dryers, incorrect change available, and once someone before us had dyed something blue, and all of our clothing turned out light blue!

So I vote for having the washer/dryer, but that is just us. I would only be satisfied with a VENTED model.

BTW, PPL's RV Parts Superstore has one for about $1000, plus installation.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:23 PM   #5

I just did a load of laundry today. Heck, when in a new town it is nice not needing to know where the laundromat is.

You can not do a huge load but you can do 3 pair of shorts and 3 short sleeve shirts and socks easy. Only one sheet (top) and one pillow case then the other sheet (bottom) and a pillow case. With stackable you can get on a roll and and dry a load as you wash a new load.

On my rig I can not use the dryer, fireplace and Microwave at the same time. There are toggle switches to keep me from overloading the 50 amp breaker.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:24 PM   #6

Washer and Dryer or not?

We spend about $15 per month in good laundries. They are on the magical "web".
What 2 people are wearing is an RV washer load. That must be the "convenience part". We do 3 to 4 weeks worth in one big machine!
For several years we have been searching for the laundry and machines that have grease and animal hair, and take more than an hour to wash/dry (we want to shop longer). No luck so far.
There are folks that love and don't mind doing laundry every day, and have the patience to get them fixed. The rest of us are too busy sight seeing and such. Adventures are mostly time away from camp, seeing new and nifty things that Disney could not replicate.
Happy trails.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:29 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I never really thought I would need one until I had one. The convenience that it brings when I'm on a trip and I don't have to bring extra clothes since I now have the flexibility of doing a load in the RV. I also like being able to wash the sheets, pillow cases, blankets, dish rags, towels, while using the campground's water and electricity. As a result, I don't have to lug everything out of the RV to do them at home and they are all nice and fresh prior to departing for home. Love it!
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:30 PM   #8
HHg

Wouldn't do without ours......

Hhg
Old 06-22-2015, 06:43 PM   #9

Washer and Dryer or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomakat View Post
I never really thought I would need one until I had one. The convenience that it brings when I'm on a trip and I don't have to bring extra clothes since I now have the flexibility of doing a load in the RV. I also like being able to wash the sheets, pillow cases, blankets, dish rags, towels, while using the campground's water and electricity. As a result, I don't have to lug everything out of the RV to do them at home and they are all nice and fresh prior to departing for home. Love it!

Ahhh. We are fulltime. We carry a wardrobe of clothing. We do monthly park stints and pay for electricity. There is no charge for water. But hours of dryer use does click the E-meter pretty hard.
We did laundry at home when we were weekenders/vacationers.
Happy trails

Old 06-22-2015, 07:11 PM   #10

I was skeptical. Really skeptical but the coach we bought came with a stacked unit. I too thought like CampDaven and expected that a pair of socks would overload it but I was pleasantly surprised at how much they do hold. I lugged laundry to worn out laundry mats and was robbed by machines that were smaller than the tubs in the RV models. Questionable washers that had no telling what washed in them & dryers that took 3 cycles to get clothes close to being dry. I'm so glad I have the option to do our laundry in our washer & dryer now.

We use them for dirty clothes hampers when they aren't washers & dryers.
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:21 PM   #11

Washer and Dryer or not?

As small as an RV machine tub is not available in a laundry. A pair of socks? Where da heck was dat?
The internet can be your friend.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:22 PM   #12

Our Splendide was waiting for parts and it was time to do laundry. It was a Sunday afternoon my wife and I went to a laundromat only to find it was closed by the Health Department! We asked and got directions to the next closest one....you know the directions you get from someone who knows the town well.... the right and go to the first light then sort of bear left till the second street on the left then..... Well I found the laundromat but the change machine was "out of order" and all we had was enough to wash but not dry. I programed the trusty Garmin to the nearest Walmart to get change, took note of the laundromat's name and off I went to get change. On my way back I programmed in the name of the laundromat and was shocked to see there were 5 of them! The first one was definitely on the wrong side of the tracks, if you know what I mean so off I went to the second one...Wrong again! Third one and my wife called and said "Where the heck are you?" The forth one looked promising, but no mad wife was found inside! Fifth one was the charmed one. However she was not in the mood to spend the time to dry the clothing, all she wanted to do was go back to the coach and as a parting shot she said :Think you can find you way back to the coach in time for tomorrow morning breakfast?"
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:32 PM   #13

Yelp is an amazing tool for those waiting for parts.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:41 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
We have a splendid washer/dryer combo and my wife actually likes it. When we have full hook ups she'll do a load of laundry a couple times of day until caught up.

She likes it so much she's mentioned putting one in the MB of the new house we are getting ready to build.

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

« Gonna go FT | RV's »