Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #1

washers/dryers

I'd like to know whether or not washers/dryers cause any problems with excess moisture in the units.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We have a stacked washer and dryer in our coach with the dryer vented to the outdoors. I have not detected any excess moisture in the coach at all.

Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #3

We have combo unit. It does not have an exterior vent, it vents through the drain hose. We have not had any moisture problems.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #4

I have the Whirlpool side by side (but can be stacked). It has an external vent so we have no moisture inside, The only drawback is that the dryers are 110V so the drying takes longer than a house 220v dryer.
Palpatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
No issue here. We have the combo unit with external vent.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjerram View Post
I'd like to know whether or not washers/dryers cause any problems with excess moisture in the units.
Not if installation instructions are followed correctly. Usually where moisture does come from is a leaking dryer vent hose.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
This will be the 1st W/D in our unit.
I do not see a dryer exhaust port in the W/D area.
We are shopping for WD on line right now and as I read previous posts, the exhaust from dryer is expelled through the drain? How would that work if you had a stacked unit since there is only one drain port? There is another tube next to the drain tube and it has a cap on it. The cap reads that it is a vent tube. Do you take off that cap and hook up the dryer? That tube is very close to the same size as the drain tube.
I don't think our salesman knew what it was for. I asked him about a exhaust port and he said it did not have one. Hunch tells me that is what it is for.
I think we both expected larger exhaust port like a residential dryer but after reading previous posts about all in one units with venting through the drain tube, something tells me that RV ports might be smaller in size.
And there are no instruction books with this unit.
Thanks! Jim
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #8

The all in one units don't generate nearly the amount of heat--hence the loooong dryer cycle. Re-adjust your mind set and you will get a smaller vent tube with the all in one. You are all set. No drilling the wall.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #9

I installed a combo unit in my Dutch Star last month. Right next to the drain pipe was a Square plate labeled "Dryer vent" underneath was a 4" circle cut in the paneling. 4" hole saw & dryer vented thru wall. With combo unit throw load in, take a walk thru the woods/on the beach, say hi to the neighbors,cup of coffee. fold yesterdays clothes, repeat tomorrow.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTWERKE View Post
I installed a combo unit in my Dutch Star last month. Right next to the drain pipe was a Square plate labeled "Dryer vent" underneath was a 4" circle cut in the paneling. 4" hole saw & dryer vented thru wall. With combo unit throw load in, take a walk thru the woods/on the beach, say hi to the neighbors,cup of coffee. fold yesterdays clothes, repeat tomorrow.
This tube, next to water drain has a solid cap marked VENT on our unit is maybe a 2 1/2" diam. I think a residential vent is 4" so that is why it is questionable. I do not know who the previous owners were so I can not ask them.
When I looked at the Splendide on line and looked at the back of the unit it appears the exhaust port is larger.
I am going to go and check out W/D at Camping World and perhaps see what size ports they have and ask some questions there.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #11

We just replaced our Majestic vented unit. The timer on the majestic had gone bad. We replaced with a Splendide 7100XC and it works very good. Comparing the two units we like this new one better and it works more efficiently. Combo units are not like residential W/D, but if you do small loads they work very good! As for moisture, I was concerned by this as well. In the month we have owned the Splendide I have found no moisture problems what so ever.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #12

My wife & I just started full timing, I did my homework before we moved in and we purchased a may tag series 2000 W/D. The dryer is gas & I converted it to propane. I installed it today & we have been successfully using it now (4 loads of laundry & counting). I had to run the propane line, used CSST, then changed the regulator to a high volume one & made a hole in toyhauler section for venting. It worked out great! Took some work but I'm certain it will pay off in the long run. :-)
Old 04-17-2013, 04:24 AM   #13

we have a portable w/d in our 5th wheel no problems. I love it . We purchased ours at Menards .. Washer was 197.00 and dryer was 242.00 does great job not vented to outside . it will actually heat it when cold. Set looks small but will surprise you
Old 04-17-2013, 06:24 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
camplover, what is the brand name of your w/d? I will ck it out at Menards.