Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2015, 02:11 PM   #1

Water Heater

I recently purchased a 2011 Landmark Grand Canyon. The problem I have is my water heater is running on the electric side and I would like to run it on the propane side. I have tried turning off the electric switch and listen for the gas side to light but nothing happens. Is the a hidden switch or something I'm missing, to get the gas side of the heater to switch on.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2015, 04:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Bear View Post
I recently purchased a 2011 Landmark Grand Canyon. The problem I have is my water heater is running on the electric side and I would like to run it on the propane side. I have tried turning off the electric switch and listen for the gas side to light but nothing happens. Is the a hidden switch or something I'm missing, to get the gas side of the heater to switch on.
Normally their will be a switch to select the source.
Fastest answer might be from the place / person you bought it?
My RV has 2 switches, one for AC, one for LPG.

ronnie_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 04:05 PM   #3

Evergreen Owners Club
Some water heaters have a switch on the water heater itself that you have to flip to enable it to run on LP.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:25 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
Some water heaters have a switch on the water heater itself that you have to flip to enable it to run on LP.

Only Suburban water heaters have a switch on the outside and it is for the electric side. No water heater that is commonly used in RVs have an outside switch for LP.

With that said, there is usually a 12vdc switch and DSI fault indicator led mounted on the panel with your other switches that controls the LP side.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 09-27-2015, 08:49 PM   #5

Evergreen Owners Club
Okay then.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:26 PM   #6

Stone Bear,
Made a mistake when I first got my '05 Suites in '07--could not get the WH to ignite on propane...if plugged in to shore power and the WH is on electricity, the water will never get cool enough for the gas part to ignite. This may/may not be your problem, but you could try turning off the elec switch to the WH and wait for several hours--then it should ignite. Or, turn off the elec and run water til the hot is gone to cold, then turn it on gas. If it doesn't ignite then, yes, you have a problem.
Hope this is the simple answer.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggs68 View Post
Only Suburban water heaters have a switch on the outside and it is for the electric side. No water heater that is commonly used in RVs have an outside switch for LP.

With that said, there is usually a 12vdc switch and DSI fault indicator led mounted on the panel with your other switches that controls the LP side.

TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Our Atwood has a switch to enable the gas and another switch to enable propane. Both switches are located on the panel with the tank gauges and generator start.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:35 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Our Atwood has a switch to enable the gas and another switch to enable propane. Both switches are located on the panel with the tank gauges and generator start.

Yes, that is the normal case in most RVs (Motorhome, trailer). However, some RV manufactures have saved a little money by not putting the switch for electric inside as Suburban has started placing a service switch on the water heater itself. Sort of a nuisance going outside to turn on your electric water heater.

The point of my previous post is that at least with the two commonly used water heaters (Atwood and Suburban), neither has put the LP switch on the water heater itself.

TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 11-20-2015, 07:32 AM   #9

DSI Fault indicator

Quote:

TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Our LP gas would not ignite this morning and the DSI fault indicator is lit. What does that mean? Can't find anything in the book. Thank you!
Old 11-20-2015, 04:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieBoyd View Post
Our LP gas would not ignite this morning and the DSI fault indicator is lit. What does that mean? Can't find anything in the book. Thank you!
1. Turn off the gas, wait a minute, they retry.
2. I once had the same problem. Took my air compressor fitted with a high pressure nozzle. Blew high pressure air into the flame area. Worked fine after that.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:04 PM   #11

Quote:

TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
think that's not correct, my Atwood heater has a switch right next to the propane switch
Old 12-31-2015, 07:30 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alame View Post
think that's not correct, my Atwood heater has a switch right next to the propane switch

Yes, the newer model Atwood's have two 12vdc switches inside your RV to control the Gas and Electric. Older model had one 12vdc switch for Gas and a 120vac light switch for the electric side.

TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 01-03-2016, 08:02 PM   #13

I have a 2006 Landmark . My switch 1'x1/2' black plastic is hidden behind the gas supply line. I have never seen an RV water heater without one .Take another good look at it

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater