Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #1

Water heater won't light

Hi,

We recently purchased a new 2012 model Puma 298-FQU. It has a Suburban water heater that runs on propane only (no electric element) and I can't seem to get it working... When we got the unit from the dealer, they didn't go through the water heater because they hadn't filled it with water.

So when we got it, I filled it with water... I made sure the valves to the hot water tank were all opened and the hot water tank filled up. I made sure the propane was on (my stove and fridge were working). I made sure the battery had charge because all of the lights/radio/water pump/etc worked. However, when I turn the hot water switch on (behind the kitchen sink), outside the ingiter doesn't click and the propane doesn't fire. The switch then stays lit with a red light that never goes off. There is also a small light inbetween the hot water switch and the water pump switch, this never turns on. I can shut it off and turn it back on again, but it always does the same process.

Here is a picture of what my model looks like (I don't have a picture of mine right now, I'm at work)

Any ideas what I can look at, or some things I may be able to test?

Thanks!
ormrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2013, 10:38 AM   #2

Sometimes it takes a long time for the propane to purge the air out of the line. Try lighting all the stove burners to help get gas flowing, maybe even turn the heater on. There may also be a reset button on the water heater, if someone tried to light the WH without water in it, it may have tripped the overtemp switch. Also, look for spiders or other critters that like to take up residence in the air inlets.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by road dogs View Post
Sometimes it takes a long time for the propane to purge the air out of the line. Try lighting all the stove burners to help get gas flowing, maybe even turn the heater on. There may also be a reset button on the water heater, if someone tried to light the WH without water in it, it may have tripped the overtemp switch. Also, look for spiders or other critters that like to take up residence in the air inlets.
We tried lighting the stove for quite a while before running the water heater, but that didn't help. There is a reset button on the water heater, but it can't be pressed in (it seems that it pops out if there is a problem).

I'm thinking there could be a power problem to the unit... I checked underneath the over where the fuse/breaker panel is, but didn't find any issues. Is there any way I can verify power to the outside panel without having to take anything apart? I'm just trying to make this work without having to take it to the dealer, but if it invovles too much, I'll haul it in.

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #4

If you don't hear the igniter or the gas valve, I'm guessing you don't have power to the gas control. Being a new rig, I would suggest taking it to the dealer or at very least call him to let him know its not working and what he wants to do about it. That would be my first call....
Old 07-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
If you don't hear the igniter or the gas valve, I'm guessing you don't have power to the gas control. Being a new rig, I would suggest taking it to the dealer or at very least call him to let him know its not working and what he wants to do about it. That would be my first call....
Yea, I've definitely already called the dealer, but they can't get me in until next Friday, so I just wanted to make sure it wasn't somethign simple I could fix myself and save some trouble of hauling it into the dealer.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #6

Long shot but, try resetting the CO'2 sensor near the floor. Turn it off, wait a bit then turn it on. Have wifey do it from inside while you listen for a click at or near the regulator on the propane tank. Failing that, a voltmeter at the valve on the heater will reveal the presence of voltage when the interior switch is in the on position.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #7

Hmm, I'll check for the CO2 sensor... Could you tell me at which points on the valve I should put the multimeter posts to verify power while the switch is on?
Old 07-18-2013, 11:24 PM   #8

It should be electric as well and the electric can be turned on from the front of the heater…that would get you by until you can sort out the issue. Mine did this after a few years and I had to change the little "green" electronic board to get it back to auto igniting again...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:20 AM   #9

water heater reset

I thought I smelled gas one day as I was leaving for work. I turned the propane off to be safe. When I got back home I tried to turn water heater back on and it would not light. I even tried heating the safety tip with a lighter. Going back inside I noticed the red light by the sink was on which I had never seen before. I flipped the switch off then back on... it was reset and the water heater has been working since with no more gas smell!
bildrrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:28 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The gas sensor, near the floor, normally near the kitchen, must be turned on. I don't know about the current stuff but mine will start to chirp when battery power is available. When it stops chirping the gas solenoid is open and gas is available.

If you don't have gas to the stove that is the problem. As stated earlier it takes awhile to purge.

Tags
heater, water