Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2019, 08:19 AM   #1

Water leak question

Hello! My husband and I are new RVers and were wondering if any of you have had problems with water leaks during rain.

We purchased a new RV in July 2018 and have been having problems with the ceiling, moulding, and walls dripping water every time we are camping during a heavy rain. We don’t have any of these issues when it is not raining heavy, but it saturates the walls when it does.

Is this normal for a new RV and have any of you ever experienced something similiar? I would really appreciate any feedback.
Carisabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2019, 08:41 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not normal at all.

I would have it looked at asap....water inside the RV is bad. You have leaking seam or sealed vent on the roof. Let the dealer handle it.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:28 AM   #3

Water leaks are bad. Get that thing inspected right away. It sounds like the roof is not properly sealed st the walls.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:38 AM   #4

New RV.....water dripping form ceiling/saturating walls..........that is very destructive and petri dish for mold/mildew

Return that RV ASAP to Dealer and have a 'pressure test done' to identify source of leak(s).

Damage already done will need to be fully addressed....do NOT let them 'smoke screen' you that leak fixed so all is good.
Ceiling/roof insulation...walls/insulation--delamination ----MOLD

Water is a KILLER for a RV

Second thought..........get a FACTORY Representative involved ASAP.
You make the contact.do not rely on Dealer

YOU need to be your own advocate.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:46 AM   #5

June of '18--you are already half-done with normal warranty. Get in touch with selling dealer AND manufacturer. Document EVERYTHING, conversations, write down names and dates/times. This is not going to be fun going forward...
What type/brand/model of RV do you have?
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:48 AM   #6

We actually have taken it in to the dealer twice for this same issue and involved manufacturer. They both tell us it is normal condensation. But we only have this happen when it rains and moisture detector reads 88 percent on walls.

We have also had leaking from light fixture in front bedroom, vents, Acs, and windows. They tell us this is normal for new RVs during the first year. We are also having electrical issues and are on our third fire place and second refrigerator at 7 months ownership of new RV.

I really appreciate all of your responses because we feel like the dealer and manafactuer are not being honest.

And dealer and manufacturing company recommended dehumidifier.

That is why wanted to ask experienced RVers if this was normal occurrence. Thank you so much for your replies. We really appreciate any advice you can offer us newbies��
Old 01-16-2019, 11:52 AM   #7

We have a Grand Design Reflection 28 BHS. I have been keeping a copy of warranty paperwork and dates/times. I need to start a paper trail I guess with emails. Thank you for your advice. This has been a nightmare. We have taken it in every month for repairs since purchased brand new in July.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:19 PM   #8

Smoke Screen from BOTH..............!!!!!

Condensation can be a real issue IN HOT HUMID Climates and con also occur IN COLD Climates when running furnace a LOT.

Condensation due to RAIN.....that's an innovative climate change explanation that is FULL of bovine excrement.

RED FLAGS:
We have also had leaking from light fixture in front bedroom, vents, Acs, and windows. They tell us this is normal for new RVs during the first year. We are also having electrical issues and are on our third fire place and second refrigerator at 7 months ownership of new RV.

Sorry but you need to cut your losses ASAP.
RV needs to be replaced/bought back---traded in for new unit.
You will NEVER have a good trailer nor will you ever enjoy it.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:42 PM   #9

Thank you! We have obtained an attorney. She sent an email today and now the GD wants to take it to factory and extend our warranty.

I agree with you though I think this camper is a lemon and there is no redeeming it.

Thank you so much for your feedback. It is nice to know I am not crazy for thinking these are serious issues.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:56 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok so I got a gently used 2017 Thor Windsport about 6 weeks ago. Been using it a lot and most everything has been pretty smooth. There have been a few small hiccups but so far everything has worked pretty well and I've been able to fix everything that's come up.

However, this morning I noticed that the underside of the cushion on my dining room bench was pretty wet. It's been raining the last few days pretty hard, so not entirely unexpected. My problem is that I can't really tell where the water was coming from or came from. The walls look ok, there's no drips on the ceiling, and the wood underneath the cushion looks fine, etc. The cushion was right below a window that was open when the weather was nice, but I'm pretty sure it was closed tight long before the rain started.

Any tips to figure out where the water might have been coming from? My best guess is the window was just not screwed down all the way and leaked a little bit for a long enough time to let a fair amount of water in.

I live in Vegas so not too worried about the rain long term, but want to get this figured out before it gets worse.

Coach is no longer under warranty for the house either so there's that.
CoachDitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:31 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In response to the OP.....depending how long its been leaking will determine extent of the damage inside the walls and ceiling.

This can be determined by using a moisture meter, marking the areas of high moisture, and removing the luan wall panels and ceiling in those areas and underneath on the floors. Water is very intrusive and migratory. This is mandatory.

Soaked wood and insulation can be replaced, but could be very time consuming and expensive for the builder.

I would not accept anything else but a through inspection and tear down with you inspecting after the tear down. Take pictures for your files.

If GD starts avoiding you or won't allow personal inspection, then that's why lawyers exist.

Good luck, keep us posted if you can.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:40 PM   #12

Thank you so much! I hope to have an update with good news soon, but I feel like this going to be a long battle.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:13 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Take pictures and contact manufacturer. Send them debatable do pictures and save a copy of everything.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:06 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDitka View Post
Ok so I got a gently used 2017 Thor Windsport about 6 weeks ago. Been using it a lot and most everything has been pretty smooth. There have been a few small hiccups but so far everything has worked pretty well and I've been able to fix everything that's come up.

However, this morning I noticed that the underside of the cushion on my dining room bench was pretty wet. It's been raining the last few days pretty hard, so not entirely unexpected. My problem is that I can't really tell where the water was coming from or came from. The walls look ok, there's no drips on the ceiling, and the wood underneath the cushion looks fine, etc. The cushion was right below a window that was open when the weather was nice, but I'm pretty sure it was closed tight long before the rain started.

Any tips to figure out where the water might have been coming from? My best guess is the window was just not screwed down all the way and leaked a little bit for a long enough time to let a fair amount of water in.

I live in Vegas so not too worried about the rain long term, but want to get this figured out before it gets worse.

Coach is no longer under warranty for the house either so there's that.
Please start your own thread don't take over someone else's as you will get very few responses and it confuses those speaking to the OP (original Poster)
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak