Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #1

Water Odor Issue

I have an intermittent odor problem in the bathroom sink. It is a rotten egg odor that cancome from either the hot or cold tap. I have replaced the anode rod, cleaned out the p-trap, used a deodorizer and ran a vinegar & water solution through the whole system. I do not have the same problem with any other tap including the shower which is on the same grey tank as the bathroom. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

That's a strange one. I'm sure some of our experts will be along soon with ideas for you to try but it sure sounds like something in the water feed line to the bathroom sink has gotten something foul in it.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You should have one of these under your bathroom and kitchen sink. There purpose is to prevent air into the gray water tank(s) from escaping out via a one way rubber flap. If the rubber flap fails, and they will on occassion, then gray tank odors can escape. Shop Keeney Mfg. Co. Black Plumbing Vent at Lowes.com=

Even though you've run vinegar/water through the plumbing, I would still recommend doing the bleach treatment. Figure your total fresh water tank capacity + water heater and add 1/4oz of unscented generic bleach per 15gal to a gal of water. Pour mix into the tank, fill tank with fresh water, turn on pump and run cold and hot faucetts until slight odor of bleach is detected, making sure the wh is also filled. Let sit overnight, drain tank, and wh, then refill with fresh water again. If bleach odor is still detected, do the vinegar/water agin or put 1/2-1 cup of baking soda in 1 gal of warm water and pour in fresh water tank.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
I agree with JC2, Sanitize your fresh water system with the clorex mix. Bacteria in the fresh water system will give off a sulfer smell. Be sure to include the water heater.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
I don't see how bad water would only show in the one sink. The shower would be the most prone to smelly water. I vote to check the drain vent under the sink.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That is normally hot water issue. My recommendaiton is a full sanatization of the water system INCLUDING the hot water tank.

NOTE: Batteries give off a similar smell on occasion.

Note 2: Some campgrounds.. You migh tjust find that smell at the tap.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

NOTE: Batteries give off a similar smell on occasion.
That was my first thought. I'd check your batteries.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
From past experiance I would check your batteries. I went through this earlier this year. I could really smell it more when the MH was plugged in to shore power. And I swore it was coming from the gray water also. Try plugging it in and wait about an hour, then open the compartment where the batteries are and take a whiff. Mine turned out to be one of the chassis batteries. It had a dead cell and was boiling over each time the MH was on shore power. A second way to quick check the batteries is once you smell the ordor feel your batteries and if one is warmer then the others, that would be the stinker. Let us know how it turns out.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #9

Water Odor Issue

Thanks for all your suggestions. I did replace the battery after the start of the problem but I will check if there is a problem with the new ones. Once I get the bleach solution run through I will let you know hoe it turns out. Thanks again.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #10

I replaced the vent cap sncethe seal didn'tlook too good and I did the bleach flush. This seems to have solved the problem. Doing this wll become part of my regular maintneance schedule. Thanks again.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #11

Rotten egg or sulfur smell in water.

We had this problem for a good while and tried most of the recommendations above to avail. We knew that the bad smell was coming from the water lines. Last week, while at a CG in Nashville, I bought a hot water tank "clean-out spray wand" from Camping World and this HW tank clean-out solved the problem! I turned off the power to the hot water heater, waited about 15 minutes to let the HW cool down, disconnected the camper's water inlet hose, and drained the HW tank. Then I attached the clean-out wand to the camper's water hose and squirted water in all possible directions inside the HW tank and a black residue came out - a lot of it came out. After no more appeared, I flushed the tank with clean water by re-attaching the camper's water hose, turned the water back on and let water flow though the HW tank for about a minute until no more residue appeared...! Finally, I turned the water off, re-inserted the drain plug, turned the water back on, bled air out of the water lines and turned the HW heater power back on. For the rest of our stay, no more bad smells...!
Old 07-18-2012, 11:19 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron4jon View Post
We had this problem for a good while and tried most of the recommendations above to avail. We knew that the bad smell was coming from the water lines. Last week, while at a CG in Nashville, I bought a hot water tank "clean-out spray wand" from Camping World and this HW tank clean-out solved the problem! I turned off the power to the hot water heater, waited about 15 minutes to let the HW cool down, disconnected the camper's water inlet hose, and drained the HW tank. Then I attached the clean-out wand to the camper's water hose and squirted water in all possible directions inside the HW tank and a black residue came out - a lot of it came out. After no more appeared, I flushed the tank with clean water by re-attaching the camper's water hose, turned the water back on and let water flow though the HW tank for about a minute until no more residue appeared...! Finally, I turned the water off, re-inserted the drain plug, turned the water back on, bled air out of the water lines and turned the HW heater power back on. For the rest of our stay, no more bad smells...!
The spray wand got rid of the loose crud build-up in the tank. To really clean it, you might try filling it with white vinegar, then flushing it. Here's a video link to a 'How to'
HOW TO: Flush a Suburban RV Water Heater - YouTube

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:51 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Those little wands are great. I thing we're really supposed to use that twice per year but it seems to be something that always falls to the bottom of my to do list.

We're glad you found us.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron4jon View Post

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water