Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2016, 08:59 PM   #1

Water pressure regulator

Newbie question here, why are we suppose to use a regulator on the water supply? My 2014 Avalanche has pex tubing and I'm pretty sure its rated higher than the regulator. If its cause of the connectors they use it seems to be an easy fix with replacing them with something better.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2016, 09:27 PM   #2

Some campgrounds have high water pressure. It's not unusual to see a sign in the office warning of water pressures to 110psi. Most Rv's I've seen say to limit water pressure to <60psi.
You are driving a rolling earthquake down the road. It shakes things loose, like plumbing fittings, electrical connections,cabinets and doors, etc. I think that's one reason RV mfgrs. state to limit water pressure.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:24 AM   #3

Its one of those 'why not' kind of deals. Yes pex plumbing is easy to replace but I imagine blowing out a pipe that has that kind of water pressure running through it will ruin an rv in short order.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:33 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just imagine leaving the RV in the am to go sightseeing and coming back in late afternoon to a flood. Then it's just not a matter of replacing some plumbing. ALWAYS use a pressure regulator.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 03:58 AM   #5

j88

It can be as simple as thishttp://www.homedepot.com/p/Camco-Brass-Water-Pressure-Regulator-40055/205518953?cm_mmc=shopping-_-bingpa-_-26-_-205518953&ci_src=328768002&ci_sku=205518953&gclid= COi96Mr8nsoCFYEmMgodiHcGHA&gclsrc=ds
though I would check behind your city water hook up as on my coach the factory put one in.

2007,30RSO
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:30 AM   #6
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by j88hynes View Post
Newbie question here, why are we suppose to use a regulator on the water supply? My 2014 Avalanche has pex tubing and I'm pretty sure its rated higher than the regulator. If its cause of the connectors they use it seems to be an easy fix with replacing them with something better.
I have seen water pressure as high as 120psi. Although plumbing and fixtures are usually tested at higher pressure, they are generally designed to operate at 40-60psi. Prolonged exposure to high pressure can cause pipe, fittings, and fixtures to fail. Sometimes the failure manifests itself as a leak and other times the failure is catastrophic. We once had a water filter housing blow in the middle of the night in the stick house we used to own.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:10 PM   #7

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Just imagine leaving the RV in the am to go sightseeing and coming back in late afternoon to a flood. Then it's just not a matter of replacing some plumbing. ALWAYS use a pressure regulator.
Not only use a regulator, but when you leave the rig for any length of time, turn of the water heater, then turn off the water at the campground spigot. I was lucky. The leak in our rig occurred behind the storage bay and only resulted in soaked belly insulation. Another time, our neighbor, who wasn't at home, his toilet valve failed and nobody noticed it until water was coming out all around the outer seams of their rig. Not so lucky.

It's now part of our routine to cut off the water whenever we leave the rig for any length of time.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:56 AM   #8

Have a QUALITY Watts regulator on hand to use if pressures are over 75psi. Carry a small pressure gauge you can screw on the hose bib.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:18 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Dimes View Post
Not only use a regulator, but when you leave the rig for any length of time, turn of the water heater, then turn off the water at the campground spigot. I was lucky. The leak in our rig occurred behind the storage bay and only resulted in soaked belly insulation. Another time, our neighbor, who wasn't at home, his toilet valve failed and nobody noticed it until water was coming out all around the outer seams of their rig. Not so lucky.

It's now part of our routine to cut off the water whenever we leave the rig for any length of time.
Our AquaHot instructions say to have either the water pump on or the water on when the AquaHot is in use so we'd have to shut it down too. Not going to leave the cats with no heat for a day.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:27 PM   #10

I have a Watts regulator with pressure gauges I installed on the incoming side and outgoing side. Saw 120 PSI at one KOA on our trip out to Colorado this spring. The regulator tamed the pressure without issue. Also have a large filter on the output side to improve taste and filter out solids in the water.
Helipilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:51 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
I have used this fixture with the regulator set to 60 psi for years. It allows me to get unregulated pressure out one side for washing the coach or rinsing the sewer hose. I have a quick disconnect on the Camco filter output, the plastic tends to cross thread easily, the garden hose quick disconnect eliminates that, I figure I can thread it correctly once.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1452750514.409303.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	116497

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:53 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Here is a better picture of the regulator. It is available at Camping World.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1452750778.524345.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	116498

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:08 AM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our '02 DSDP didn't have a built in regulator so I bought a Watts unit and gauge. One campground that we frequent has 120 psi and they warn you at the desk when checking in. Naturally they also sell the cheap Camco ones!
Luckily the rig we have now has one built in. Going to be a big garage sale this next year with all the stuff we no longer need due to it being built in or don't have the space in the rig! Yep, longer rig and less space!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:28 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a Pex plastic connector break that fed our half bath toilet even though I have a 60lb regulator on the coach. Sure was glad we have two toilets because that one was out of commission a couple days until I got some shark connectors.

You say an easy fix is buy a better connector...OK show me one. They all say they are better. And then crawl around trying to replace all the connectors...I think not.

I've been in campgrounds...San Antonio comes to mind, where they posted a sign warning of over 100 lb water pressure.

So if you keep your pressure down my thought is that will help matters but certainly not prevent all failures.

Tags
water, water pressure