Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2016, 09:33 PM   #1

Water Pump Chatter

We purchased our 5er about 6 weeks ago and have been full-timing for about 2 weeks. At first the water pump functioned as expected but for the last couple weeks I have noticed that it isn't shutting off as it should. It will run until it reaches pressure then stops, or at times it will intermittently chatter. Among the chatter it may run for a fraction of a second and then chatter a second or so before finally shutting off. I thought for sure it was a poor 12v connection causing the chatter but was unable to find a connection problem or alter the way it is currently performing. Sometimes it performs well but most of the time it doesn't provide a smooth shut-off but will chatter for a second or two before quitting. It's as if it is getting intermittent power but that does not seem to be the case.

Any thoughts? Bad motor?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2016, 08:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live 2 Camp View Post
We purchased our 5er about 6 weeks ago and have been full-timing for about 2 weeks. At first the water pump functioned as expected but for the last couple weeks I have noticed that it isn't shutting off as it should. It will run until it reaches pressure then stops, or at times it will intermittently chatter. Among the chatter it may run for a fraction of a second and then chatter a second or so before finally shutting off. I thought for sure it was a poor 12v connection causing the chatter but was unable to find a connection problem or alter the way it is currently performing. Sometimes it performs well but most of the time it doesn't provide a smooth shut-off but will chatter for a second or two before quitting. It's as if it is getting intermittent power but that does not seem to be the case.
Any thoughts? Bad motor?
Live 2 Camp
A small water leak, a dripping faucet, or an internal leak in the pump itself, will cause the pump to chatter intermittently as you describe.
Mel
'96 Safari

Old 06-08-2016, 09:22 AM   #3

I would have to ask if there is air in the system? Our new 5r takes a Long Time to get good pressure with the pump switching from city water to tank water... It sounds terrible.. But when (I figure) the air is out of the pump system, it works fine .... ???
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:27 AM   #4

Mounting it to a rubber pad then mounting that to the floor or wall will help. I used a hunk off an exercise mat that I found.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:32 AM   #5

interesting as our pump will sound different just before it shuts off...not sure if it's the same "chatter". However the pump operates as it should based on pressure. I have not been concerned about it as if there were a leak, the pressure would drop and the pump would cut in.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:52 AM   #6

When it pumps suddenly for no reason, over and over there is a leak. Alot of times its the check valve that keeps the water from pushing out the city water supply. Sometimes it's the pump itself.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:15 PM   #7

It doesn't run without demand from a faucet and it'll sit all day and night without running so I know it's not bleeding down. If the pressure cutout is located in the pump I'm starting to believe the problem is in the pump itself.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:07 PM   #8

Now I'm getting intermittant chatter during pump operation. It may run, chatter off and on and run. I think it's either in the wiring or in the pump.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live 2 Camp View Post
Now I'm getting intermittant chatter during pump operation. It may run, chatter off and on and run. I think it's either in the wiring or in the pump.
Live 2 Camp
Most likely the pressure switch on the end of the pump housing is going bad.
Replacement are available.

Example:

SHURFLO 94-801-05 PRESSURE SWITCH

Google "XXX number XXX pump parts", (using the make and model number of your pump).

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-09-2016, 02:09 PM   #10

Try this. Turn off the water heater.

Shut down the pump, drain the water heater, turn on the pump and let it fill again.

Or, simply run the tank empty with the hot faucet.

Sometimes, after a few weeks, the air cushion designed into the water heater disappears.

I had your problem every 2 weeks or so. Figured it out when it ran empty a few times. I re-filled and it was ok for a while.

I eventually put a tee in the line after the pump and added a 2 gallon accumulator tank. The accumulator has a diaghram that never fills with water.

A bonus is the pump don't run every time you flush.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:21 PM   #11

I had considered the accumulator even before the pump issue started and may end up adding it after I fix this problem. We don't have full hookups so we mainly use the shower house for showers but the Mrs will use the 5er shower about every 4 days to enjoy her own privacy. So I would guess the water heater stays off most of the time. I will try the water heater drain suggestion and if that doesn't work I will google replacement parts for the pump.

Thanks everyone.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:02 AM   #12

I have that same shatter. Very interested in all the solutions. It was extra bad at the start of one trip. I checked things and noticed the city water valve was not turned 100% off. Then just had the normal chatter.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:24 AM   #13

After giving it considerable thought, I believe this all started after I hooked to city water. I only hooked to water to fill my tank but because of the line waiting and not being able to quickly locate the valves to fill the tank, I turned the water off and filled it manually. Once we were at a our destination is when I noticed the odd behavior.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:07 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
When I installed an accumulator tank the water system quieted down. However, since you mentioned this started when you had hooked up to city water. I wonder if you got the air that may have been trapped in section of pipe between the city connection and where ever it tees into the rest of the system. This section may not have filled from the pump pressure. depends how everything is plumbed. A pocket of air would affect the point where the pump switches off. Have you made sure every facet has been bleed enough to have a good stream of water and no hissing or spitting of air/water mix? Just ideas.

rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump