Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2011, 09:23 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I assume you are in an RV park. I've found over the years that if you ask another Rv owner in the park a question they are always more than kind and try to help.

So you may want to ask someone in your park for some tips. We were all beginners at one time or another so just keep at it. You'll get the hang of it sooner or later.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Usually the switch mounted on the water heater (or in the cabinet) is to disable/enable the heater running on electric. It will still run on LPG as long as that switch is turned on.

In my coach, the water heater switches (LPG and Electric) are side by side in the kitchen. The switch on my water heater is ON to enable the electric heating circuitry. We leave both on when on 50A shore power. This helps the hot water recovery time. If we are on 30A we use LPG only. We only use the water pump when we are boondocking or have no power.

I picked up a plastic tool that connects to a water hose. It has a small opening at the end to give a forceful spray. It is flexible so it works nice the flush the water heater. After I drain the tank, I use this and it always knocks out some calcium clinging to the sides of the tank. When done I install a new anode. I do this once per year.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #17

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
You're doing fine--my water heater does not have an anode, and so far in 7 years, no buildup in the heater. Sounds like you really understand maintainance well.
As to the electric operation of the water heater--I have yet to see one that did not have an on/off switch somewhere, and some of them have 2: one in the control panel, and one at the rear of the heater itself. Question--you have hot water when plugged into 30amp without flipping any switches? If so, strange to me. How about the 110volt circuit breaker panel--does it have a breaker labeled water heater?
Joe
Not so much understanding maintenance well, I just stumbled across info online and then studied up on the flushing technique for my type of water heater. The Heater has a black on/off switch which one finds by opening the outside hatch/door. The monitor panel has a switch but that has always been off. The one on the heater was in the 'on' position. I didn't originally set up the RV, so thus I was clueless to the workings of one. Just lately since the job of maintenance has fallen to me, am I learning bit by bit. Yes I checked the circuit breaker panel and turned that off also prior to the flushing.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #18

Smile RV Park/tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I assume you are in an RV park. I've found over the years that if you ask another Rv owner in the park a question they are always more than kind and try to help.

So you may want to ask someone in your park for some tips. We were all beginners at one time or another so just keep at it. You'll get the hang of it sooner or later.
Noppers, (tho I was originally, and there my black tank blew! and then in a rain storm a tree branch fell and took out my awning). I live on a horse ranch and have for 2 1/2 years now. Had to have RV guy come out and set up a 30 amp connection run off one of the wells on the property.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:59 PM   #19

Smile Magic Wand

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
Usually the switch mounted on the water heater (or in the cabinet) is to disable/enable the heater running on electric. It will still run on LPG as long as that switch is turned on.

In my coach, the water heater switches (LPG and Electric) are side by side in the kitchen. The switch on my water heater is ON to enable the electric heating circuitry. We leave both on when on 50A shore power. This helps the hot water recovery time. If we are on 30A we use LPG only. We only use the water pump when we are boondocking or have no power.

I picked up a plastic tool that connects to a water hose. It has a small opening at the end to give a forceful spray. It is flexible so it works nice the flush the water heater. After I drain the tank, I use this and it always knocks out some calcium clinging to the sides of the tank. When done I install a new anode. I do this once per year.
Yes, I purchased one of those prior to doing the flush, it certainly makes the job of getting inside the tank and getting the sediment out. I plan to also do this once a year.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #20

Well, to work on electricity, the switch in the heater compartment should always be on, and then the monitor panel switch should work.
Does the water heater work?
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:19 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hmmmm with all the things you've been through you will become the adviser on here as opposed to the questioner.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:20 AM   #22

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Well, to work on electricity, the switch in the heater compartment should always be on, and then the monitor panel switch should work.
Does the water heater work?
Joe
yes it works.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:25 AM   #23

When I had my 5er, it had AC and propane for hot water. I dry camp and always left the AC switch on so every time I ran my genny to recharge the batteries, it would heat the water.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:31 AM   #24
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
It seems you have the water heater problems figured out but water pump may still need some help.
The pump switch can be in three locations I have four because of a bath & 1/2 coach floor plan.
The pump will have a controller that will decide where ever you are in coach to operate the pump for water in those locations when using water from fresh water tank.
If you can't find the controller do not worry I haven't found mine in 8 years so you will not be alone.
As long as the pump works in all locations its not broken, switch locations for pump will be in bathrooms, kitchen or control panel for tank levels and at the water compartment closet.
If you need some help for other items in your 5th check out the Quick Tips link although mostly motor home stuff some of items will relate to your RV.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:04 AM   #25

yes it works.

Well, if it works, and you have the 2 switches located, then all is good...

Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water