Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2007, 04:28 AM   #1

Picked up new fvr 5 days ago. When running the sinks and shower the pump will pulse but when flushing toliet it runs steady as it should. I believe the pump is ok since it works ok with toliet but do not understand why it pulses when running the sinks and shower. This is first camper and would appreciate any help.
Jim
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2007, 04:28 AM   #2

Picked up new fvr 5 days ago. When running the sinks and shower the pump will pulse but when flushing toliet it runs steady as it should. I believe the pump is ok since it works ok with toliet but do not understand why it pulses when running the sinks and shower. This is first camper and would appreciate any help.
Jim
Old 11-22-2007, 04:55 AM   #3

You can install a surge tank that fills up and then will release the water. This type of tank really helps. They are available at most RV sales places. I built my own with some extra 2" PVC pipe and about $5 worth of fittings. Just pipe it into the line from the pump.
Jim

SPELL CHECK By IeSpell; Its free and it works.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 05:22 AM   #4

Tks for reply. Just noticed that when running two sinks at one time or shower and sink the pump will smooth out, not sure why.
Jim
Old 11-22-2007, 05:52 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
please show pics of tank

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 06:32 AM   #6

To help explain what happens when you turn on the tap:
The pump is controlled by a pressure sensative switch. When the pressure goes down the pump comes on till the pressure builds up again, then shuts off. When several taps or the toilet is flushed the water usage is more than the pumps capacity to build up pressure, so the pump runs all the time. When one tap is open the pump can keep up and shuts off when the pressure is back up. Then comes back on as the pressure goes down. Thus the pulsing is really normal.
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 04:46 AM   #7

two things I have found make the less noticable with out spending money! First make sure you have a small air pocket in the hot water tank. You can do this by not opening the blow off valve when you fill it , just open a sink hot side valve to purge the air. the next trick is to raise the pump presure setting , refer to the pump OEM book , all the sureflo pumps i have seen have a screw in the center of the pump head thats adjustable , most of the time they are set around 25 psi and pulse. Raiseing it to around 40 psi make a big differance.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:54 AM   #8

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Here are before and after pictures of the accumulator tank I installed on my 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS. I hope these prove to be helpful. I bought the tank at Home Depot and all the tubing/fittings/valve were purchased from an RV dealer.

Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:31 AM   #9

Not sure if you have the Shurflow pump but here's a Linkto their/my pump's operation manual. Can use the switch shut-offas a reference to see if your's is operating the same. Mine will likewise cycle with just one fauset on, but within limits.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:46 PM   #10

I'm confused because I see a line going into the accumulator tank, but nothing going out? How does this work?

Pat

Every Miles A Memory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:29 PM   #11

Agree with Fulltimer that the operation of the pump is normal.

The tank has only the one fitting. The tank, in most cases, has an internal bladder that has a preset charge, water one side - air on the other. The tank is mounted close to the pump and the bladder is compressed when the pump charges the water system after an outlet (fauset valve) has been turned off. This small amount of water is released when the fauset is initally opened and the pump will remain off until the pressure settings are reached at which point it cycles on to meet demand. The pump cycle is extended and runs smoother. The same set up is used on most residental systems that have wells for a water supply.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:53 AM   #12

Yes the purchased tanks have a bladder in them but they are not necessary. I actually used a 2" trap U with a 3/8" tap fitting (normally used for a drain) on the bottom. Glued about 12" of 2" PVC pipe with pipe caps on the upper end with a finished look of an extended U look to it. Mounted it next to the pump and it works just fine.
I will post some pics of it when I return home today. It was cheap and easy.
Jim

SPELL CHECK By IeSpell; Its free and it works.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:19 AM   #13

Can the accumulator tank be installed anywhere in the water line or does it have to be installed close to the pump?
Jerryg
Old 12-01-2007, 10:13 AM   #14

Here are several links to look at:Accumulator tanks and Installation. When installing tanks in Stick built systems, we always try to install as close to the pump, but they seem to indicate it doesn't matter.