Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2014, 11:35 PM   #1

Water pump question

So I am a newbie here, I've posted a few things here and there. I was getting my trailer out of hibernation and getting it prepped for the season. started cleaning out my fresh water tank and filled it uo with chlorinated water, turned on the pump and the pump was more quiet than usual. Opened the faucet and no pressure. Checked the voltage and it's running at 11.44.

Opened the line in front of the pump from the tank and water is free flowing, on the line out of the pump it was bone dry. I even tried running the pump real quick without the line out attached, still nothing.

What next? Pull out the green paper for a new one? Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2014, 11:44 PM   #2

There are rebuild kits for the internal valves available , and complete valve housings if yours is cracked. 1/3 the price of the entire pump assembly.
Do you have a clear plastic housing , about 2" in diameter on the inlet side of your pump? These debris screen housings quite often crack and allow the pump to draw air. About $8 last time I had to get one.
Did you winterize the RV yourself?

Old 05-20-2014, 11:46 PM   #3

Voltage is a bit low, but if you can hear the pump it should be running. Is there a silt screen between the fresh water tank and the pump, it could be filled with sand. Is there a hole in the suction line? It can take a couple of minutes to fill the hot water tank and pressurize the rest of the system, it helps to have a hot and cold water tab open to release the air.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
There are rebuild kits for the internal valves available , and complete valve housings if yours is cracked. 1/3 the price of the entire pump assembly.
Do you have a clear plastic housing , about 2" in diameter on the inlet side of your pump? These debris screen housings quite often crack and allow the pump to draw air. About $8 last time I had to get one.
Did you winterize the RV yourself?
I have about a four inch line of tubing from the tank to the pump, I don't see a debris filter, although it is probably worth it.

I will look into rebuild kits.

I winterized it by blowing out the lines. I don't like the antifreeze in my tank and lines if I can avoid it.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
Voltage is a bit low, but if you can hear the pump it should be running. Is there a silt screen between the fresh water tank and the pump, it could be filled with sand. Is there a hole in the suction line? It can take a couple of minutes to fill the hot water tank and pressurize the rest of the system, it helps to have a hot and cold water tab open to release the air.
I had water in the pump,but not coming out of the pump. I ran it for about 2 minutes without air sputtering out of the faucet, also I shut the valve for the hot water tank, still nothing.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewl View Post
I had water in the pump,but not coming out of the pump. I ran it for about 2 minutes without air sputtering out of the faucet, also I shut the valve for the hot water tank, still nothing.
In this case it is more likely that I am wrong and Skip is right.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewl View Post

I winterized it by blowing out the lines. I don't like the antifreeze in my tank and lines if I can avoid it.
Blowing the lines will not clear all the water from the pump , particularly if you blow in the city water hook up. I'm sure you'll find a cracked valve housing; these pumps come apart in 2 mins. and you can check.
If your only going to blow the lines , put quick disconnects on the wiring , and next year, remove & store the pump in the house.

And never ask why I know so much about frozen pumps.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:30 AM   #8

I took the pump apart and could see nothing wrong. Had my father look at it, he couldnt see anything wrong with it either. Of course this is the first time looking at the inside of a pump for either of us.

Anyways, I just decided to replace and be done. Can't really complain, that was the original pump, for lasting 14 years is good.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:24 AM   #9

I just replaced the valve body and mine is working good again. It's only 12 years old, though...20 bux as opposed to 100 bux.

Tim

Timay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump