Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-24-2014, 12:35 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Centennial, CO
Posts: 405
Water pump won't prime

I have a 2002 shurflo pump in my 2002 Holiday Rambler 30RKD and it is hard to prime the pump after wintering or after draining and trying to get it to suck the anti-freeze into the system for winterizing. Most of the time I have to get the liquid above the pump in order to get it to prime - a real pain! Does anyone know if this pump needs new seals or impeller or just a new pump or am I doing it wrong?

Any thoughts would be helpful!

Thanks!

Tim
__________________

__________________
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2014, 12:40 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
fletch460's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Groves,TX
Posts: 370
Tim, I dont think it is a lift pump. Gravity from you fresh tank feeds it. That is why the liqued has to be above.
__________________

__________________
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:24 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: kansas city ks
Posts: 21
geta repair kit the valves have gone bad will not seal tight enough to prime and they are a lift pump your water tank is below they will lift about 3 ft
__________________
mikeh449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch460 View Post
Tim, I dont think it is a lift pump. Gravity from you fresh tank feeds it. That is why the liqued has to be above.
They will self prime. All fifth wheels and trailers (vast majority anyway) have a fresh tank below the pump, so it lifts.

OP, most of the time I can't get a pump to prime, it's because they are sucking air somewhere. I've never had a pump go bad to where the pump was the problem, but I'm sure it's possible. Something pre-pump is loose; hose clamp, strainer basket, or valve.
__________________
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
fletch460's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Groves,TX
Posts: 370
Learn something everry week. Glad to know. Mine is on side of tank and gravity flow.
__________________
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:57 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Centennial, CO
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
OP, most of the time I can't get a pump to prime, it's because they are sucking air somewhere. I've never had a pump go bad to where the pump was the problem, but I'm sure it's possible. Something pre-pump is loose; hose clamp, strainer basket, or valve.
I discovered the air sucking problem on my first winterize - then this year I made sure everything was nice and tight, still no prime. Some one suggested I open all the faucets and that will make it prime...it did! Once. I think I will try some new valves in the pump next. After the vinyl splitting in the kitchen, the water pump is a bump on the road...

Tim
__________________
2002 Holiday Rambler 30RKD
2000 F250 diesel extended cab short bed
2014 Demco Autoslide 18K
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:49 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: lancaster CA
Posts: 543
my original suction line down into the fresh water tank was sucking air. It was going to be a major job to find the problem. Drop the 100gal fresh tank and all of it's insulation, ect. I put a T fitting on the bottom drain and ran a new suction line. Problem solved. You might just fab a new suction line into a bucket below the pump and see if it primes.
__________________
2001 dodge 2500 auto, with billet Mojave Green torque converter with 2nd gear lockup mod, raptor 100 fuel transfer pump and gauges. RV275 injectors
94 Alpenlite 27sl with many mods. Master mechanic over 55 years
oldbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:08 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Champlin, MN
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeek View Post
You might just fab a new suction line into a bucket below the pump and see if it primes.
Great idea! That's perhaps the quickest way to troubleshoot this issue. I will have to remember this if I ever run into this problem

Jim
__________________
'05 NuWa 29.5 lktg HitchHiker II
'05 Chev 3500 4X4 Crew LB SRW Duramax/Alison
jamvir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:45 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
aauummm's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Altoona, Iowa
Posts: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timay View Post
I discovered the air sucking problem on my first winterize - then this year I made sure everything was nice and tight, still no prime. Some one suggested I open all the faucets and that will make it prime...it did! Once. I think I will try some new valves in the pump next. After the vinyl splitting in the kitchen, the water pump is a bump on the road...

Tim
I'm sitting here with the same two problems that you had. I am trying to winterize and the pump won't prime and the vinyl flooring split in the cold last winter. Haven't replaced the vinyl flooring yet, but I've investigated some new stuff to put down.

Right now I need to get the pump to prime or replace it. It will run but no suction. All water is drained out of the tank and lines. I've checked and double and triple checked everything, valves set correctly, cleaned screen, tightened all fittings, read manual again, did search on here, checked Shurflo website, etc. Absolutely no suction.

Mine is a real pain to even get to it, let alone to replace it. Did you end up replacing yours?
__________________
2010 Itasca Sunova 33C, mucho mods
2011 Honda CRV, 2004 Rubicon (mucho mods)
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:07 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Centennial, CO
Posts: 405
I replaced the valve body - it ran fine all summer and then this fall I had another hard time getting it to prime with the pink stuff. I have a short length of hose that I run from the hose connection to the bottle on the ground. If I fill the hose and hold it above the pump it will prime and suck just great, but if I lose the prime (ran the bottle empty running around to open a faucet) then it is a pain to get it to prime again. I think it is an air leak somewhere...and I think it has to be where the hose attaches to the wet bay. I will figure it out this spring when I de-winterize it.

On a brighter note, here is a before and after of the kitchen floor:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tore floor.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	78147   Click image for larger version

Name:	floor fixed.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	78148  

__________________
2002 Holiday Rambler 30RKD
2000 F250 diesel extended cab short bed
2014 Demco Autoslide 18K
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:59 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
aauummm's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Altoona, Iowa
Posts: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timay View Post
I replaced the valve body - it ran fine all summer and then this fall I had another hard time getting it to prime with the pink stuff. I have a short length of hose that I run from the hose connection to the bottle on the ground. If I fill the hose and hold it above the pump it will prime and suck just great, but if I lose the prime (ran the bottle empty running around to open a faucet) then it is a pain to get it to prime again. I think it is an air leak somewhere...and I think it has to be where the hose attaches to the wet bay. I will figure it out this spring when I de-winterize it.

On a brighter note, here is a before and after of the kitchen floor:
Very nice flooring job! What is that product? From the sound of my pump it appears that the pump motor is operating but the pump part is not. When I have it turned on, it sounds too smooth and quiet. A couple of days ago it got down to 23*F.

I had the furnace on but set to 45*F. The outside air temp must have gotten too low while the inside air temp was still at or above 45*F. Just picked up a new Shurflo 4008-101-E65 3GPM that is a direct replacement for the discontinued Shurflo 2088-422-175. Got it from a local RV dealer. Now to install it and winterize the thing. Lucky we've got some warm weather now.

I'll probably have to wait until spring to replace the flooring. Thanks for the reply!
__________________
2010 Itasca Sunova 33C, mucho mods
2011 Honda CRV, 2004 Rubicon (mucho mods)
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:22 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
aauummm's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Altoona, Iowa
Posts: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
Very nice flooring job! What is that product? From the sound of my pump it appears that the pump motor is operating but the pump part is not. When I have it turned on, it sounds too smooth and quiet. A couple of days ago it got down to 23*F.

I had the furnace on but set to 45*F. The outside air temp must have gotten too low while the inside air temp was still at or above 45*F. Just picked up a new Shurflo 4008-101-E65 3GPM that is a direct replacement for the discontinued Shurflo 2088-422-175. Got it from a local RV dealer. Now to install it and winterize the thing. Lucky we've got some warm weather now.

I'll probably have to wait until spring to replace the flooring. Thanks for the reply!
Update. I replaced the water pump and at the same time replaced the water line into and out of the pump. The existing water line was kinked on the pressure side of the pump. I also had to put the strainer in-line because the new pump is a bit larger than the old one.

First pic is before replacing and the second pic is with the new pump. It works great and has better flow than when the coach was new. The new pump is totally self-priming.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7974.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	78564   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7976.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	298.8 KB
ID:	78565  

__________________

__________________
2010 Itasca Sunova 33C, mucho mods
2011 Honda CRV, 2004 Rubicon (mucho mods)
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
water, water pump



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hot water tank cleaning Pilot135pd RV Systems & Appliances 7 01-20-2014 09:40 AM
Cat 3100 heui water pump? RufussSewell Caterpillar Engine Forum 4 01-14-2014 02:39 AM
Travel Supreme 5th Wheel Water Pump? dannijo iRV2.com General Discussion 1 09-07-2013 04:03 AM
Water pump location sunnyup Palazzo Motorhomes 6 09-04-2013 06:33 PM
water pump for the coach '09 Beaver Waterview202 Monaco Owner's Forum 8 08-10-2013 11:27 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.