Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-10-2013, 08:52 PM   #15
I have seen some portable water softeners in a RV park that would work. Just like a home unit, you could isolate the main drinking water faucet and only feed that with water that is not softened.

KOTR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #16

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We like our softener and there is no salt taste. I just regenerated it today. Our RV had a large inline filter in a compartment. We tossed it and use the softener in its place. Recently I bought some brass quick disconnects because unscrewing the hose is a pain. I actually bought 3 of the disconnects so I can leave the pieces connected to the softener when I take it out and use the other one to connect to an outside faucet. The softener is insline with the fresh holding tank so we alway have soft water.

If you do a search on this forum you will find hours of reading,.

Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:27 AM   #17
This is exactly what I would say.
We have been full-timing for 8-years and would not be without a softner.
As far a drinking, we just take our gallon jugs and buy water out of machines for coffee and drinking.
The only thing I would add. I plummed my softner into the trailer so don't have to lift it in and out everytime we move and it will not freeze inside.
We have had no issues with any plumbing since we boght our 5th wheel new in 2007. I believe in water softners.
dodgenoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:03 AM   #18

Bought our softener in early 2007. I has been working well. All fixtures in our 2004 and other water systems have given no problems. We live in our MH about 5 months a year. Never run any water into holding tanks or city water inlet unless it is softened.
No salt taste, Drinking water is double filtered.
2004 Endura 6340D
2012 Chevy Captiva toad
ronjhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:48 AM   #19
I've recently been gifted a Rinse Pure water conditioner, but haven't used it due to lack experience with it. No instructions. How do you recharge it? It came with a small bottle of tablets, but no instructions. Anybody know about this unit? Thanks.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #20
Excel Owners Club
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
Michael, The double filtration with Britta gets rid of the soft water taste?
It does. Its a cheap solution-the water tastes very good and we always have cold drinking water.
2014 F350 Dually Lariat 4x4
Sir Reginald the Cat who lets Big Mike and Jean travel with him.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #21
We like soft water and the unit is just not a problem to store or maintain.
The softener is mounted in the bay just forward of the wet bay. It is mounted with two 4in Velcro straps. The hoses remain attached all the time except for recharging. When disconnecting from city water I simply pull most of he hose into the softener compartment. The pressure reg and Y valve remain on the end inside the wet bay but off the bottom..
Hope picture is attached, having problems attaching using iPad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0372.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	36747  

Paul, Kathy, and Tux a 4 month Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote