Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Yes, it's vented right next to the hose fill connection.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Why not just go to a RV store and buy a fresh water fill spout, hose and a fitting for the tank. Then install it to your 100 gallon fresh water tank. I think I have seen them at Camping World too.

There are a couple of different styles to choose from.

Valterra - Flush Mount Telescopic Water Fill - Polar White - R920 - Faucets & Inlets - Camping World

Gravity Water Dish, Polar White - GRAVITY WATER DISH,PW

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 03-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
I suppose that works too, but I was looking for the easy way out as I probably won't ever use it. But thanks, that's another route I could take!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #18

Aux Water re-supply

We carry an extra 48 gallons of water in a tank that fits in the same space as the tool box on top of the aux diesel tank (pic). I then mount a 'spare' 12 rv pump on the side of the bed with an on/off swith, and can either refill the on-board tank or just connect the supply hose to the city connector. Makes life a bit easier if you stay a couple more days, and you can easily pick up more water when out with the truck for other reasons, and not have to man- handle any water tanks.

Name:   Aux Water Tank 005 (Small).jpg
Views: 445
Size:  9.4 KB
PDGx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #19

I had the same problem when using my 5 gallon water jugs and I ended up just buying a cheapy 12 volt RV water pump and have the inny hose going in the water jug and outy hose hooked up to pressure fill. Add some wire and alligator clips to go to the battery and away you go.

Kevin
Old 03-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Is the 'Winterize' position on that valve for sucking antifreeze into the system through a short hose? If so, put the short hose into your portable water tank and suck the water into the system, as if it were antifreeze.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Camping world has a portable pump kit. Go to their sight and in the search block put
55153 It's on sale for 69.95 now.
good luck
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
Good find! Thanks.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #23

We have a new setup with our travel trailer, and I find that the water from our "white fresh water hose has that vinyl taste. I even had that taste when I filled the fresh water tank. I know this has nothing to do with your problem of filling the water tank on your fifth wheel, but I was still wondering about the taste of the water you are getting with the hose connection. Oh, by the way I even bought a water filter that goes between the pressure control and the trailer. It still has that vinyl taste. Does any one have a solution for that?
Old 03-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #24

Learn something every day-I have never heard of a RV that did not have a gravity feed water tank filler.I have to wonder just how many brands do not have this anymore.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:45 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire Wrat View Post
We have a new setup with our travel trailer, and I find that the water from our "white fresh water hose has that vinyl taste. I even had that taste when I filled the fresh water tank. I know this has nothing to do with your problem of filling the water tank on your fifth wheel, but I was still wondering about the taste of the water you are getting with the hose connection. Oh, by the way I even bought a water filter that goes between the pressure control and the trailer. It still has that vinyl taste. Does any one have a solution for that?
Are you SURE that your hose is approved for drinking water purposes? Does it sit in the sun a lot?

I will only use the white hoses from Camping World. I have one but seldom use it only when I have very long distances to get my water. Actually, I never drink or cook with the water that comes into the coach. We always use the Glacier Machines or the Culligan Machines found at Drug Stores and Wal-Mart's and fill up our 3 gallon jugs that sit on top of our water dispenser in the coach. And we buy bottled water too.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 03-28-2012, 06:32 AM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
Learn something every day-I have never heard of a RV that did not have a gravity feed water tank filler.I have to wonder just how many brands do not have this anymore.

I hadn't either until we picked ours up from the dealer.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
Mine's a 2002 model, and has no gravity feed water fill.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #28

I would also consider purchasing a cheap "water theif" fitting. I used it when I went camping at state parks. Just as a backup when you come across those faucets that don't have threads on the bottom of the faucet. One end fits over the faucet end and the other end attaches to your water hose. I did notice that the fitting wasn't very tight and would spray out water, so I now carry a hose clamp to make the connection tight. Lastly as others stated I would look at a small pump that would suck out the water from you water jugs. You should not have to worry about pressure as there has to be a vent somewhere on your RV even though you may not see it. If your not sure, just open up a faucet inside the RV or the shower faucet on the outside of the rig.

And if you end up using that much water you may want to replace your sewer discharge cap with the one that also has a garden hose connection. Some places/people frawn on using this feature to discharge the grey water out of the RV, but I do it all the time when dry camping. I just use a grey hose for this so I don't mix it up with the fresh water hose.

ridahog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water