Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #29

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridahog View Post
I would also consider purchasing a cheap "water theif" fitting. I used it when I went camping at state parks. Just as a backup when you come across those faucets that don't have threads on the bottom of the faucet. One end fits over the faucet end and the other end attaches to your water hose. I did notice that the fitting wasn't very tight and would spray out water, so I now carry a hose clamp to make the connection tight. Lastly as others stated I would look at a small pump that would suck out the water from you water jugs. You should not have to worry about pressure as there has to be a vent somewhere on your RV even though you may not see it. If your not sure, just open up a faucet inside the RV or the shower faucet on the outside of the rig.

And if you end up using that much water you may want to replace your sewer discharge cap with the one that also has a garden hose connection. Some places/people frawn on using this feature to discharge the grey water out of the RV, but I do it all the time when dry camping. I just use a grey hose for this so I don't mix it up with the fresh water hose.
I didn't realize they made such an animal. I made my own out of a cut off piece of hose, a hose clamp, and a male hose end.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #30

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am interested in that "Winterize" position, what does it do?

On some RV's there is a setup that lets the on-board water pump suck pink stuff via a siphon tube... It can suck water out of a 5 gallon jerry just as easy.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #31

Forest River Owners Club
Yes, it sucks in antifreeze but bypasses the tank so no help in my situation.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #32

the way i read the post was that in u'r service bay u have a postion that said "tank fill" use that while connected to a water source ,, many new MH's and TTs now have the same setup ,, and i have been asked this question many many times
tnarvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
This is the same avenue I was thinking about. If there was a way to divert the pump discharge to the tank side of the trailer's selector valve you'd be set. Might be something as simple as cutting in a couple compression tee's (one on the pump discharge and one on the tank side suction line) and a valve in between the two tee's.

Start the pump up with the trailer selector valve set for "winterize" and open the new bypass valve. Just leave all the faucets in the trailer closed and the water would go into the tank.

Just thinking.......
Old 03-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #34

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnarvs View Post
the way i read the post was that in u'r service bay u have a postion that said "tank fill" use that while connected to a water source ,, many new MH's and TTs now have the same setup ,, and i have been asked this question many many times

Oh, boy, here we go again. Yes, I have a tank fill position. It allows me to connect a pressurized city water hose to fill my tank. It in no way helps me fill from jugs.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #35

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post

That's why I suggested putting an identical valve in your fresh tank fill line. When in "Bypass" position, it would allow the tank to be filled by the pump. In "Normal" position, it would be filled from the factory inlet.

Basically, you would be sucking water from an outside tank, instead of the on-board fresh tank. You would also be routing the pump's output into the on-board tank, instead of the camper's water system.

If I get a chance soon, I'll do the mod to my fifth wheel and take lots of pics. For the cost of a bypass valve and some tubing to reach the outside tank, you would have what you need.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #36

ok sorry ,, i musta miss read or not read all the way ,, i thought u just wanted to fill u'r fresh water tank ,, sorry ,,
Old 03-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #37

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_Driver View Post
That's why I suggested putting an identical valve in your fresh tank fill line. When in "Bypass" position, it would allow the tank to be filled by the pump. In "Normal" position, it would be filled from the factory inlet.

Basically, you would be sucking water from an outside tank, instead of the on-board fresh tank. You would also be routing the pump's output into the on-board tank, instead of the camper's water system.

If I get a chance soon, I'll do the mod to my fifth wheel and take lots of pics. For the cost of a bypass valve and some tubing to reach the outside tank, you would have what you need.
A picture says a thousand words my friend! Many pics... well... that would be just
Old 03-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #38

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
ok sorry ,, i musta miss read or not read all the way ,, i thought u just wanted to fill u'r fresh water tank ,, sorry ,,

No worries. It must be the way I wrote it as your not the first to misunderstand!
Old 03-28-2012, 10:30 PM   #39

well i should have read better ,, and agian sorry ,, i do try to sometimes help folks out ,, but i guess my reply to u'r original post will show others i don't know a damn thing ,, i am trying to get the feel for this place ,, so bare with me ,, i came from another forum that was not like this ,, there u had to deal with spammers more then rv questions ,, but i like it here ,, and i hope i can fit in ,, and help out ,, i own and run an rv reapair business ,, with 2 employees ,, we do onsight and at the shop stuff ,, but we go father then the others do ,, we will tackle the engine stuff ,, and chassis stuff ,, and we also do remodels ,, but agian sorry for not helping u out ,, i really do feel bad
Old 03-29-2012, 07:40 AM   #40

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
well i should have read better ,, and agian sorry ,, i do try to sometimes help folks out ,, but i guess my reply to u'r original post will show others i don't know a damn thing ,, i am trying to get the feel for this place ,, so bare with me ,, i came from another forum that was not like this ,, there u had to deal with spammers more then rv questions ,, but i like it here ,, and i hope i can fit in ,, and help out ,, i own and run an rv reapair business ,, with 2 employees ,, we do onsight and at the shop stuff ,, but we go father then the others do ,, we will tackle the engine stuff ,, and chassis stuff ,, and we also do remodels ,, but agian sorry for not helping u out ,, i really do feel bad
Really man, no worries! In the beginning when I first posted this, I actually went out and walked around the rig a few times to make sure I didn't miss the gravity fill. I would have felt pretty stupid if I had to post later in the day that, oops, I found it! Based on what you do for a living, I'm sure you will be a valuable part of the community here. I'm sure that in no time, the shoe will be on the other foot, and someone will be hiding under a chair on one of your posts!!!
Old 03-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #41

Do you have enough access space around the pump to cut in a diverter valve? It just seems like you can use your existing equipment to pump water using the pump's ability to draw in water that would normally be used to fill the plumbing with antifreeze and divert it to the suction line that feeds the pump from the tank.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #42

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Real simple: take your trailer to the nearest dump station, dump your holding tanks and fill up your water tank.

Tags
tank, water