Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Water tank fill question?

So, we have our new 5ver. Actually a toyhauler, but this is more of a general 5th question so I posted it here. It has the docking station with cable hookups, water inlet, and BT flush. The water inlet hose connection has a valve next to it with 4 positions. Tank fill, run off tank, run off city supply, and winterize. Coming from a TT, I thought this is a great setup! Last night I got to thinking though. Say I'm on an extended trip at a state park or campground with no water hookups. I fill my tank on the way in of course. But, what if I run out. On my TT I would take my two 6 gallon jugs to the water spout and fill my trailer through the large tank fill opening. But, with only the hose connection on the 5th, how can I do this? Is there a special way to connect a short hose to your 6 gallon jug or something? I realize with a 100 gallon fresh tank, this won't come up often, but then again, I want to be ready to add water when needed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #2

You should have a standard water fill on the outside of your trailer-pour the water in there!It may be behind a locked opening.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
You should have a standard water fill on the outside of your trailer-pour the water in there!It may be behind a locked opening.
Thanks, but no, my rv doesn't have a gravity fill opening. I certainly wouldn't have posted this question if it did.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
taken,

I'd just use your hose and a faucet- much easier than fooling around with jugs and a funnel. You can also use your external water filter as the tank refills. I had a gravity water fill on my last rig and it was a royal pain!
Old 03-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #5

Did anybody actually read your post?
I don't have an answer because I have the same situation, no gravity feed. I don't know if it's our camping style or what, but in 10 years with the coach we have never had an occasion to need the gravity feed.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd4kaq View Post
Did anybody actually read your post?
I don't have an answer because I have the same situation, no gravity feed. I don't know if it's our camping style or what, but in 10 years with the coach we have never had an occasion to need the gravity feed.
It seems no one was really understanding what I was asking right? I do have a 100 gallon tank and imagine it will be a very rare occasion if ever that I need to refill. Just curious how to do it if the need arose. People on rv.net that also lacked a gravity fill opening had some interesting suggestions. Some used a portable 12v pump with one hose in the 6 gal water can and the other connecting to the hose thread inlet. Someone else bought a fitting for his can that converted the spout to a hose fitting.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Do you have a hose, for sucking the pink stuff into the system? If so, you could possibly add a diverter valve from it and run that to the fresh tank fill line.. Instead of sucking pink stuff into the system, you would be sucking clean water into the fresh tank...

Clear as mud??

EDIT: I think I just talked myself into doing this mod on my rig!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Someone mentioned that on rv.net. Sure seems like the easiest and most "onboard" way to do it. Just don't have the energy just yet to start tearing into it. It would be cool though, wouldn't it!
Old 03-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
Someone mentioned that on rv.net. Sure seems like the easiest and most "onboard" way to do it. Just don't have the energy just yet to start tearing into it. It would be cool though, wouldn't it!
My pump and fresh tank fill/vent lines are right next to each other. The entire job would probably take me maybe 20 minutes.. I would run the output of the pump, into the existing fresh tank vent line. I would probably have to take the cap off the gravity fill port, to keep from pressurizing my fresh tank. I already have several PEX diverter valves, from other campers. and they fit that vinyl tubing perfectly!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
See, I don't have a gravity fill cap so I fear I may pressurize if I use the vent line.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
The easiest way is purchase a 12 volt water pump from harbor freight or some other
retailer add a couple of short hoses and problem taken care of.
Pump is around 35.00

Art
1999 Tradewinds Cat 300
Old 03-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Taken
Farm Fleet or Tractor Supply has a plastic tank with a 12 volt pump attached that is used on an ATV for spraying weeds. it shouldn't have chemicals in it clean and refresh tank and you have a 20 gal or 35 gal size portable tank and pump that can be used on an ATV or back of a pickup.
Hope this might help.
lyledavid
Old 03-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Excellent ideas guys. Will research. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
See, I don't have a gravity fill cap so I fear I may pressurize if I use the vent line.
Your system has to be vented somewhere, or the fill from the city water would pressurize the tank... I don't have that option...

The other ideas are great, but I believe you could do mine for around $5

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
tank, water