Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2016, 12:42 PM   #1

waxing....there has to be a better way

Actually polishing but close to the same thing. I have 4-5 hours in it right now and have the front cap done and about 5' down 1 side done. I can see this taking me weeks to get done. First problem I have is getting the top section of the front cap. I can't reach it to get my porter cable up there and I don't really feel comfortable laying down hanging off the front to get to it. Not sure what I'm going to do there yet.
Any tips for speeding this process up? I'm hitting everything with a mild compound first to remove oxidation and what not then hand wiping it with detailing spray then putting my coat of polish on it. It looks like a new penny but we're getting rain about every other day (supposed to rain this afternoon) so time to work on it is going to be very limited. Hoping there's a way to speed it up.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2016, 12:52 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
Actually polishing but close to the same thing. I have 4-5 hours in it right now and have the front cap done and about 5' down 1 side done. I can see this taking me weeks to get done. First problem I have is getting the top section of the front cap. I can't reach it to get my porter cable up there and I don't really feel comfortable laying down hanging off the front to get to it. Not sure what I'm going to do there yet.
Any tips for speeding this process up? I'm hitting everything with a mild compound first to remove oxidation and what not then hand wiping it with detailing spray then putting my coat of polish on it. It looks like a new penny but we're getting rain about every other day (supposed to rain this afternoon) so time to work on it is going to be very limited. Hoping there's a way to speed it up.
There is really no easy way around this. You have a PC so it's better than doing it by hand but there is a lot of real estate on these coaches. To do it right, do it in sections and plan on several sessions. Once you polish, a regular waxing can be done in several hours.

BTW - I bought a 10' ladder just so I could safely do the top sections.

tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:19 PM   #3

I have plenty of ladder. That slope on the top of the front cap though is going to be tricky. The nose of mine is low profile which is great towing but not so great when it comes to getting back to where the cap meets the roof. I can get to it to clean with a brush but that's a lot different than reaching back there and using a buffer. I may duct tape the buffer to the pole haha.....I know it sounds ridiculous but that's about the best I can come up with right now
Old 05-20-2016, 01:36 PM   #4

Consider renting or building a scaffold or platform. I always prefer the stability of a sold platform to a ladder when possible. My recent house re-paint:

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:38 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sky hook? (-:
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:46 PM   #6

I do not have any masochistic desire to polish and wax my MH. I have a detailer come in who does yachts. (I live in an area where there are a lot of marinas). He comes in with a 5 man crew and it is done in one day. $10/ft. It is well worth it to me. He even does a better job then I would.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:59 AM   #7

Tie a good sturdy rope to your ankles, run the rope around the AC , lay down out on the nose, and lower yourself a few feet at a time, holding the rope in your teeth while you work. When you finish just pull yourself back up to the top !
The above is an excerpt from the Willie Coyote book of how to do just about anything. Sponsored by the Acme Co.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:09 AM   #8

Am waxing/polishing mine right now.......and I just use an extension ladder on the highest point of the from cap.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:17 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Go to Harbor Freight, they have this scaffolding http://t.harborfreight.com/heavy-dut...old-69055.html it has locking casters, is under $200, is stable and breaks down for storage. I use it all the time to wax the MH.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjr758 View Post
Tie a good sturdy rope to your ankles, run the rope around the AC , lay down out on the nose, and lower yourself a few feet at a time, holding the rope in your teeth while you work. When you finish just pull yourself back up to the top !
The above is an excerpt from the Willie Coyote book of how to do just about anything. Sponsored by the Acme Co.
this is why I have kids.....my wife has already warned me not to have our 12 year old hanging off the front of the camper waxing it. So that means I have to wait until she's not around and then buy his silence.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
Consider renting or building a scaffold or platform. I always prefer the stability of a sold platform to a ladder when possible. My recent house re-paint:

looks pretty sketchy to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
Am waxing/polishing mine right now.......and I just use an extension ladder on the highest point of the from cap.
I thought about leaning my extension ladder against the camper but worried I'll damage the front cap doing that. I could wrap a blanket around the ladder I guess and that should help.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:18 AM   #12

The last time I did our 5th wheel, I backed our truck under the nose and used a telescoping ladder anchored against the hitch in the bed of the truck. Put some cut up pool noodles on the ladder to protect the trailer and put it up at the same angle as the nose of the trailer. The ladder was 12' so it reached the top. Note that this was on a Titanium 5th wheel which has a pretty shallow angle so I needed to reach much farther that a regular 5th wheel.

Of course since then I have gotten lazy and just hire it out! $10/ft seems to be the going rate.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:25 AM   #13

pool noodle.....now we're getting somewhere. We have a couple of old ones in the shed. I also like your idea with the truck. Think we may have a winner here.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:46 PM   #14

I have a low profile as well. I do climb up on the roof for the upper part of the front cap. I'm 63 and I don't like it either.
For the rest of the cap I do back my truck under the front and use a regular 8' ladder. That gets me down to the lower part that starts to curve under. Then I pull the truck out of the way and use an 8' ladder and a 4' ladder to finish.
I can do my front cap in about 2-3 hrs using a Harbor Freight RO polisher with a 3 step cutting, waxing and polishing process. I just use reg wax on the sides. Takes me 2 days working about 4-5 hrs a day to get the sides and back done.
Other than paying someone I really haven't found any special tricks or waxes that make it easier.