Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2018, 11:51 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbonnet View Post
We owned a keystone prior to the Vilano order we just made. While we never had an issue with the keystone product. The service we got was crummy(yes that is a per-dealer thing) and the build quality was not nearly as nice. We did look at the Montanas and we prefered the Vilano. Good luck! btw, I certainly hope that we dont lose 50% of our investment in 4 years. That seems a bit steep based on the research Ive done on used Vilanos. That said there arent many used ones out there. We dont plan on selling this one anyway this will probably be our last 5th wheel based on our age and budget.

Congrats on the Vilano! If your worried about losing 50% of your investment don't buy an RV! We looked at the Vilanos when they first came out along with other similarly priced 5ers. Grand Design, Keystone, KZ, and Jayco but then looked at the Heartland Landmark and bought it. Vilanos factory service is very good. Hope you can find a good reputable dealer. Safe travels!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2018, 06:11 AM   #16

Gooseneck question i.e. trailer weight

Reece Gooseboxs seem to come in two variants, a 16k and a 20k. The camper has a GVWR of 16k (Vilano 365RL). The 20k hitch is about $300.00 more money.

Would you get the 16k or 20k and spend the money on something else?

I doubt with just the two of us we would ever have 3k of stuff in there. I don't dry camp or tanker around stuff in the tanks except maybe what is left in the water heater.

The camper service department said 16k should be enough hitch.

As an update, we bought the truck used. It already had a gooseneck ball installed.
deltam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:34 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Congrats on the 365RL We really enjoy ours. As far as the rating on the goosebox, all I will say is when we ordered our hitch from etrailer, I bought the B&W 25000 lb companion hitch for the safety margin it would provide. Your choice, but I know which goosebox I would buy. Vanleigh will add 8k axles as an upgrade if you ever feel the need.
Enjoy the adventure.
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:02 AM   #18

When we did the purchase, i negotiated on an out the door price. This helped keep the purchase in prospective.

I found out that banks are a bit more eager to lend mone now than 7or so years ago. They give the dealer a rebate of 2k if the buyer finances. Simple interest, no prepay penalty. Our plan is to pay off truck and camper to get a managable monthly payments before building our house. We both have credit scores well North of 800 which helps.

One area I Was not anticipating was the after the sale service contract stuff. The dealer's offering was in 5 parts. There was a bumper to bumper part for 5 years with any Valano dealer or Tifon dealer or if none available, a mobile technician. I'm pretty handy and like fixing stuff if I have time. The lady doing the paperwork said no, service techs "are" to fix stuff. We will have to see how this goes.

We could pick and choose parts of the warranty.

I didn't want any except the one year Vanleigh warranty but my wife insisted we do some of the line items. If you are buying a camper be aware this most likely will be offered. My feelings on insurance is it is for a loss that would be intolerable if the worst happened.

One part I killed right away was what I called "the flat tire warranty". They send someone out to fix-a-flat.

Another I deferred was payoff the camper in the event of a total loss. They called it "Gap insurance". Most people get upside down in what they owe and what the insurance company figures it is worth. This part would pay the difference. We plan to pay off the camper before we start building our house in 8 or so months so this part would be of little value.

As I said I would not have bought any of these but my wife wanted them. Sometimes you have to chose you battles.

Another part I didn't like is they roll the cost of this "insurance" for the full term into the amount financed, meaning they get their money up front. If we sell within 5 years we do get a rebate for the unused part, and this funky warranty is transferrable if we sell this 5er?

Just be warned this type of extra profit thing is out there.
deltam is offline   Reply With Quote