Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2019, 10:10 PM   #15

Yup...garbage can works for me...

White one covers the surge protector and the black one the freeze-less spigot.

Although I’m not in a campground. [emoji851]

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7113.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	819.9 KB
ID:	269411
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2019, 06:45 AM   #16

my cover closes around plug? maybe u could try some wx proof door/window foam when closing and use a zip tie to keep closed?? good luck
meseahunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 06:37 PM   #17

Our first one got water intrusion and they replaced it free. I thought it was waterproof. After learning it was not, on the second one we use a Walmart plastic bag, upside down with a hole in the bottom. Tie the carrying handles to keep it tight.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:24 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
On every MH I ever owned my solution solved both water and theft issues.

I mounted the surge protector in the bay. On several coaches the power cord was directly wired to the electrical system. On these, I cut the cord and put a male connector on my new short end to the coach. I put the appropriate female end on remaining cable remnant. Just plugged the surge protector in and ready for easy removal if necessary.

My current coach has the marine style screw on connector. For this one, I just bought a adapter plug to make the connection inside the bay. I didn't cut the original cord, just got a new one with the appropriate female end. Saved the original cord as an emergency option or so I can take the surge protector with me if I ever trade in the coach.
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 08:32 PM   #19

Weatherproofing surge protector

Our surge protector has a heavy metal ring on it so we use a heavy-duty coated cable lock to secure it to the post. The cable slides through the lock mechanism making it adjustable. We snug it down tight under the metal box so it can't be slid up and over the top. We have found that some electrical boxes have a hole for a cable to pass through too.
A couple of months ago we were at a new RV park and saw Webber style grill covers being used over the electrical post to keep water out of the surge protector. We bought one and just got back from Gulf Shores where we used it for two weeks without a problem.
Weese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:59 AM   #20

KZ RV Club
Bags, buckets, whatever, over the pedestal are bandaids covering up the problems with the newer PD surge protectors. Another decent company plagued with issues after a buy-out. :-(

Lyle
Old 12-16-2019, 12:36 PM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't care how big your cable lock is, a thief with a $10 cutter sold at Home Depot can cut it in seconds. How do I know this???

Because I had a 1/2" cable lock on my $600 mountain bike, and a thief stole it while I was in the doctors office. He left the cut lock there to show me.

They keep honest peeps honest is all.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:28 AM   #22

I don't get all this covering up. These things are made to be outside. As long as they're not submerged in water they should survive. I have extension cords outside for Christmas lights every year at the house, laying in the rain and buried in snow and never had a problem. With the EMS I keep it hanging upright (my plug on my cord won't let the cover close tight either) to let the rain run off.
JK
Jkjavelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 11:33 AM   #23

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkjavelin View Post
I don't get all this covering up. These things are made to be outside. As long as they're not submerged in water they should survive. I have extension cords outside for Christmas lights every year at the house, laying in the rain and buried in snow and never had a problem. With the EMS I keep it hanging upright (my plug on my cord won't let the cover close tight either) to let the rain run off.
JK
Operative term being "should". When lots of people report failures if these due to moisture/water intrusion that didn't happen with the older models, then there's a problem.

Lyle
Old 12-19-2019, 01:02 PM   #24

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Well, we've used our 50 amp PD EMS for 3 years in rain and sprinker systems shooting water all over it. RV parks are notorious for this.

Never been and issue. always works. Plug it in, wait 2 minutes and power.

I just wouldn't submerge it in water!

Same for me going on 18 months.
Regards Ron
baranski37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof