Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2019, 07:50 PM   #1

Weatherproofing a Progressive Surge Protector

Hi all..I currently own a new Jayco Eagle Ht fiver. Recently purchased a new Progressive 50 amp surge protector. All works well but I cannot use the Progressive clear weather enclosure over the plug-in because the Jayco 50 amp handle on the plug makes it too deep to fully close. Has anyone experienced this problem, and does anyone have any kind of resolution they can share to make this connection weatherproof? Thanks
Whammon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2019, 08:20 PM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Is it possible to exchange it for the hard-wired model? No worries of weather or theft!
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:21 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammon2 View Post
Hi all..I currently own a new Jayco Eagle Ht fiver. Recently purchased a new Progressive 50 amp surge protector. All works well but I cannot use the Progressive clear weather enclosure over the plug-in because the Jayco 50 amp handle on the plug makes it too deep to fully close. Has anyone experienced this problem, and does anyone have any kind of resolution they can share to make this connection weatherproof? Thanks
I have the Progressive EMS-PT50X and my RV plug fits inside the closure lid without a problem. Perhaps you could attach a picture.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:34 PM   #4

I have a 50A portable PI from 2007----Open face
It has hung from power pedestals all over the USA during our 7 yrs FTng
In Rain, In Snow, In Sleet, In Ice, In Dust Storms, In extreme heat......name it
Still working as designed w/o issues
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:40 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Maybe you could cut/saw the grip off to permit a better closure. Our plugs keep the clear cover open a bit, maybe 20%. No problems in 10 years.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:58 PM   #6
Btm

Quote:
Hi all.. Has anyone experienced this problem, and does anyone have any kind of resolution they can share to make this connection weatherproof? Thanks

2 gallon zip lock freezer bag--cut slot in bottom long enough to put progressive plug thru hole-- close hole by taping slot shut and to progressive round chord. It's open at the bottom, but water proofs plugs.

Btm
Btm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:09 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Weatherproofing a Progressive Surge Protector

I place a cut open 13 gal kitchen garbage bag over the autoformer and Progressive EMS. I tape it to make a little tent and all has been good.
Also, I set both on a couple of leveling block to raise them off the ground.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:58 AM   #8

KZ RV Club
Quote:
That is probably the most common complaint about the newer portable PD units. That, and moisture getting in. Wonder why? I want one, as we rarely camp in CGs, but will likely end up putting in a hard-wired unit. So far, PD has yet to address these issues, from everything I've read.

Lyle
Old 12-04-2019, 11:59 AM   #9

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I have a 50A portable PI from 2007----Open face
It has hung from power pedestals all over the USA during our 7 yrs FTng
In Rain, In Snow, In Sleet, In Ice, In Dust Storms, In extreme heat......name it
Still working as designed w/o issues
That was the "old" model, O-B. The newer units have been having this issue since they came out, as well as water intrusion.

Lyle
Old 12-04-2019, 12:29 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have 2 rigs- on one I have the new 30a unit and on our daughter's trailer the older style without cover. Never a problem with either one being at the pedestal hanging straight down- rain or not. I'd just close the cover as far as it goes until it hits the plug and leave it that way. As long as the unit doesn't get submerged you're ok. Someone else suggested cutting the handle- you could do that I guess. I believe covering it in a bag could cause condensation which is exactly what you're trying to avoid.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:02 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Put a large black plastic trash bag over the whole power pedestal problem solved. Plus the unit is out of sight and out of mind for sticky fingers.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:27 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, we've used our 50 amp PD EMS for 3 years in rain and sprinker systems shooting water all over it. RV parks are notorious for this.

Never been and issue. always works. Plug it in, wait 2 minutes and power.

I just wouldn't submerge it in water!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:45 PM   #13

Small tarp or big trash bag over pedestal allways works for me . I never let it get submerged . And always unplug from pedestal during a lighting storm, and run generator til storm is over. I have been in a campground when lightning hit a tree and ran over to a pedestal then ran to other pedestals in campground and did damage to R/V’s....
Florida Rang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:02 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I seen people put the unit in a plastic can that has two slots cut in the side wall. The cables go in the slots, connect the plugs and the lid goes on.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof