Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #1

Weights and full time rv

My wife and I have been researching rvs for full time use. My full timing is probably somewhat misleading. I work shutdowns and travel all over the USA. We're sick of apartments and their lease terms (my job frequently lasts 4 to 6 weeks) and hotels are just no longer acceptable. My tow vehicle will have to be daily driven (commute to work and back). We believe we can be satisfied with a 4 slide 35'. Some of the high end units this length are very heavy. We understand quality construction = heavy. I really don't want to commute in a MDT. Perfer a 3500 Dodge dually. Is this practical. Is their a full time quality 5th wheeler in the 35' range light enough for this truck?
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2009, 11:02 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Welcome to iRV2, we’re really glad to have you here as a new member and are looking forward to reading your posts about your RVing experiences and adventures. You’ll find a great bunch of folks on this site who are very knowledgeable of RVing, the rigs we use, and the places we go in them. There are lot of 35' 5th wheels that can be towed by a 1 ton dually, Click on this link to see some of them. My trailer is 37.5' and I use a 1 ton with no problems at all.

Again, welcome to iRV2, we’re glad you joined. :wave:

Old 03-20-2009, 09:00 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
A Dodge 3500 dually will certainly handle most 5ers out there. They are very rugged TV's. Like you, I too did not want to drive around in an MDT so I went with a Ford F-450. Tow ratings are nearly the same as an MDT but it is that size of any other dually pickup.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You probably are not that much different from the rest of the full timers - most move around every month or so - and there are also those that move around two or three times a year and some that are always on the go. I am not sure how far you would move each time so that will make a difference in both the RV and TV. Personally, I feel the less slides, the better as they can become a major problem if they malfunction or leak - however you can not deny the amount of space they add to a unit. I see now where some larger units are measuring by the square foot. The 30-35' range is probably the right size for what you want to do. Some of the things that seperate camping units from full timing units are better appliances (more like home) and washer/dryers for laundry - they willl also have larger refers and hot water heaters. The place where most people make the mistake with 5th wheels is underestimating the pin wt and they find themselves going over either the GVWR or GAWR of the truck. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 1ton duallys - GM, Ford, or Dodge as either a daily driver, or tow vehicle.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:13 PM   #5

We will be moving around a lot. Going from Houston, TX to Tuscaloosa, Al Tuesday. Work there 4 weeks and then to Tyler, Texas. Go up North later on. I'm leaning hard toward a Nu-Wa. In trucks I prefer Cummins engines. They just happen to be in a Dodge. My dream TV is a 6.7 Cummins in a 08 Ranch King Ford backed up with an Allison tranny donated from a Chevy. I dream in techno color though.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:58 PM   #6

Glen,

I went with the dodge for the engine. I'm in love with that Cummins TD. Don't forget about comfort though. I love my truck, but if you spend that much time towing in it, you might consider the ford or the chevy, both of which have more comfortable seats than my dodge. I have the 8 way power seat, which helps, but on those long hauls, it gets a little annoying.

Don't get my wrong, I wouldn't trade my dodge for the chevy or the ford, but there are trade-offs in any purchase. Comfort is the trade off for the CTD. Also, I am a big-framed guy. I'm 5'9" and I weigh in at 265, so that might affect my comfort level.

I agree with all, you can find a NICE fiver for fulltiming with that any of the dually (and some srw) one tons.

K-star: I thought the F450 was in the MDT range? Am I mistaken on this?
Old 04-28-2009, 05:28 PM   #7

Carriage makes several in their Cameo line that could be handled by your Dodge. Carriage makes an excellent full timer rig that is considered to be one of the "top of the line" companies. Take a look at their products.
Bob