Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
Just came across this on from Reese hitch setup instructions:

DO NOT TOW MULTIPLE TRAILERS: Do not attempt to tow any type of trailer behind another trailer. Towing multiple trailers may cause severe instability, loss of control and/or structural failure, and may result in vehicle accident, property damage and personal injury. Towing multiple trailers is illegal in many jurisdictions.

Hadn't thought of this. If for some reason you just have to tow a second trailer despite all sane reasons not to, what would you do about the WDH?

Thanks for all the posts! I am familiar with tandem towing. 10 years ago, I bought a new 5th wheel trailer and wanted a trailer hitch on the rear. The dealer fabricated one and I towed tandem for several years. Going down hills can be tricky if one is not watching their speed. Around that time, there was a guy towing a boat behind his 5th wheel trailer. He decided the car ahead of him was going too slow so he started to pass on the down hill. He ended up rolling the rig, both he and his wife died. I digress. Anyway, I will bring the trailer to the local shop and have them fabricate a hitch for the trailer. It will cost $350, but I'll know it was done right.

BTW, what is WDH?????

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2013, 03:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by menoble View Post
Yes I see, the boat looks like it weighs much less than 4,000 lbs.
Not an advocate for or against...it all depends, most folks I know that pull setups like this do not go cross-country but only on weekend trips to lakes in their local area...to me this is acceptable and perfectly doable, if they were going cross country at minimum they should have weight distribution on "both" hitches to eliminate sway and distribute weight evenly, mainly on the boat I would use an anti-sway device so it tracks controllable behind the trailer...

Common sense is not so common anymore...

Old 07-13-2013, 03:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by radnur22 View Post
Thanks for all the posts! I am familiar with tandem towing. 10 years ago, I bought a new 5th wheel trailer and wanted a trailer hitch on the rear. The dealer fabricated one and I towed tandem for several years. Going down hills can be tricky if one is not watching their speed. Around that time, there was a guy towing a boat behind his 5th wheel trailer. He decided the car ahead of him was going too slow so he started to pass on the down hill. He ended up rolling the rig, both he and his wife died. I digress. Anyway, I will bring the trailer to the local shop and have them fabricate a hitch for the trailer. It will cost $350, but I'll know it was done right.

BTW, what is WDH?????
Weight Distribution Hitch
Old 07-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
Not an advocate for or against...it all depends, most folks I know that pull setups like this do not go cross-country but only on weekend trips to lakes in their local area...to me this is acceptable and perfectly doable, if they were going cross country at minimum they should have weight distribution on "both" hitches to eliminate sway and distribute weight evenly, mainly on the boat I would use an anti-sway device so it tracks controllable behind the trailer...

Common sense is not so common anymore...
The furthest I go is 55 miles to Holter lake or 80 miles to Elwell lake.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #19

Quote:
The furthest I go is 55 miles to Holter lake or 80 miles to Elwell lake.
And to me that is very acceptable as you are not going through "windy" mountain passes or high wind areas on Interstates and running next to 18 wheelers doing 70-80 mph...
Besides it sure is fun when you get there and get out on the water I am sure!
Old 07-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #20

Here's what I am mounting on my 5th Wheel to tow my Jeep:
41991-07 Draw-Tite Ultra Frame Receiver Bracket Kit -e Custom Hitch
Specs:
  • 62" wide trailer hitch receiver
  • 7" tall bracket kit must be welded on to hitch and tow vehicle
  • 2" square receiver tube opening
  • GTW capacity rated up to 16,000 lbs.
  • Tongue weight capacity rated up to 1,600 lbs.
41991-07 Class IV Weld-On Ultra Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver and Bracket Kit by Draw-Tite, Hidden Hitch and Reese
Old 07-14-2013, 05:04 AM   #21

hitch

I removed old cheap bumper and fabbed up heavy bumper,bolted and welded to frame,added 3 receivers to mount my genny and other things. I could tow with it if I need to.

jasult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #22

jasult, Is that 1/4" or 3/16" 4x4 square tubing?
Old 07-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #23

Quote:
jasult, Is that 1/4" or 3/16" 4x4 square tubing?
1/4 inch
jasult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
Here's what I am mounting on my 5th Wheel to tow my Jeep:
41991-07 Draw-Tite Ultra Frame Receiver Bracket Kit -e Custom Hitch
Specs:
  • 62" wide trailer hitch receiver
  • 7" tall bracket kit must be welded on to hitch and tow vehicle
  • 2" square receiver tube opening
  • GTW capacity rated up to 16,000 lbs.
  • Tongue weight capacity rated up to 1,600 lbs.
41991-07 Class IV Weld-On Ultra Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver and Bracket Kit by Draw-Tite, Hidden Hitch and Reese
No question the receiver bracket is adequate for the task, so long as the trailer frame it's being attached will hold it. The whole 'house built upon sand' concept. Some frames are up to it, what I've seen on the newer 'ultra-lites', the steel is just barely enough to carry the designed load and too often poorly assembled, IMO.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #25

Quote:
No question the receiver bracket is adequate for the task, so long as the trailer frame it's being attached will hold it. The whole 'house built upon sand' concept. Some frames are up to it, what I've seen on the newer 'ultra-lites', the steel is just barely enough to carry the designed load and too often poorly assembled, IMO.
2 X 10" in front and 10" in the back...
Old 07-14-2013, 11:57 PM   #26

Well, I am vacillating back and forth. Now I am planning on welding the receiver hitch on. I will be cutting the thin walled bumper off and welding a 1/4" 4x4 square tubing butted up to the 2x4 channel iron frame. On the flat side of the 2x4 channel iron, I will weld a 3/16" 1"x1"x2" bracket on the top and bottom of the butted joint. 2' back on the frame, I will weld a 1/4" 2x2 square tubing in place. Then I will weld the receiver to the bumper, 2x2 angle iron (already in place 8" from the bumper) and then to the 2x2 square tubing. Then I'll weld diagonal cross supports with 3/16" 2x2 angle iron from the 2x2 square tubing, the 2x2 angle iron and then the bumper. Comments???

Old 07-15-2013, 05:23 AM   #27

Quote:
Well, I am vacillating back and forth. Now I am planning on welding the receiver hitch on. I will be cutting the thin walled bumper off and welding a 1/4" 4x4 square tubing butted up to the 2x4 channel iron frame. On the flat side of the 2x4 channel iron, I will weld a 3/16" 1"x1"x2" bracket on the top and bottom of the butted joint. 2' back on the frame, I will weld a 1/4" 2x2 square tubing in place. Then I will weld the receiver to the bumper, 2x2 angle iron (already in place 8" from the bumper) and then to the 2x2 square tubing. Then I'll weld diagonal cross supports with 3/16" 2x2 angle iron from the 2x2 square tubing, the 2x2 angle iron and then the bumper. Comments???

You've got your triangles in there right for the lateral tug, 4x4x1/4 should be plenty to hold the tongue weight, now it's just a matter of your welding talents, make them all count.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:32 AM   #28

Quote:
Yes, it will work. If you can trust a semi-anonymous blogger to tell you so.
It's even worse when a person trusts some looking at you in the eye and saying "Yea, that hitch will work, just weld a bracket here". I cut the bumper off and it's a good thing I erred on the side of caution. The seam/weld on the 4x4 bumper was separating. The bottom of the channel iron was barely welded to the bumper. I have yet to grind down the other side.