Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2017, 10:09 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBabysDaddy View Post
.... I found this very helpful. I still refer to it, when I see a rig, and want to be nosey about what it probably looks like inside.
RV Manufacturers: Sorted by Brand
But, come on guys... Let's talk some fifth wheels here!!
Thanks for that link. I found your continued use reason entertaining
Brad W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2017, 10:23 AM   #44

I find the number of builders, brands, and floor plans, mesmerizing. It blows me away how many choices there are. When looking at some floor plans, sometimes I don't even see a difference between two listed from same maker

To the OP - Jayco has the Eagle HT line with 12 floor plans noted. Forest River has a number of brands with "lite" or "lyte" in the name. I've not seen any in person but the online pictures even back up some previous statements about fit and finish; they just seem a little lower end

We won't be as concerned with weight as much as wanting to keep trailer length in the low 30's

In googling I can see lists of popular brands (best selling), but in struggling to come up with the top 5 or 10 makers as it relates to quality craftsmanship and reliability. Any suggestions from the veteran fivers?

Thanks
Brad W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:22 PM   #45

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Hey, it's an all about me and I don't care what you think world. OP just pick out the 5th wheel you like and then get a truck that has the payload capacity to carry the loaded pin weight. It's as simple as that. Figure about 400-500lbs added to the dry pin weight.

Head down to your nearest truck stores and open the doors and look on the door jambs. You'll see a yellow "Tread Act" sticker that shows how much weight the truck can carry.

Add up the pin weight, passengers and gear, if the total's under the door sticker then you're good to go.

It ain't rocket science. Buy the biggest baddest truck you can afford and never look back.

Just an FYI, I wouldn't trust the door sticker. I got burned on my 2011 f150 eco-boost. Sticker said 1798 but when I weighed it and added stuff up it was only 1450. I was ok towing a 31' Outdoors Wind River. I was closest on the hitch rating of 1150, I was 1040 with a scale. On my current dually, '15 f350, sticker said 5860, dealer let me weigh it before I bought it and it was 5660 which was good for me. Be aware of ratings, weights etc.
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:54 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad W View Post
I find the number of builders, brands, and floor plans, mesmerizing. It blows me away how many choices there are. When looking at some floor plans, sometimes I don't even see a difference between two listed from same maker

To the OP - Jayco has the Eagle HT line with 12 floor plans noted. Forest River has a number of brands with "lite" or "lyte" in the name. I've not seen any in person but the online pictures even back up some previous statements about fit and finish; they just seem a little lower end

We won't be as concerned with weight as much as wanting to keep trailer length in the low 30's

In googling I can see lists of popular brands (best selling), but in struggling to come up with the top 5 or 10 makers as it relates to quality craftsmanship and reliability. Any suggestions from the veteran fivers?

Thanks
Take a drive over to McCord Toyota......RV Dealership....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:09 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
Eegads! Where did you come up with that bit of misinformation?!? New-to-us- see post #10 for more accurate info.
Sorry, I prefer to do my own research.... I am not sure how a different opinion is "more accurate", nor how the specs from the manufacture is misinformation.

Chevy 1500 crew cab standard box.
Length 240", width 80"

Chevy 2500 crew cab standard box.
Length 240", width 80"

Chevy 3500 crew cab standard box.
Length 240", width 80"

Chevy 3500 crew cab long box dually, expected to be longer and wider.
Length 258", width 95"

Ford F150 super crew standard box.
Length 231", width 80"

Ford F250/350 super crew standard box.
Length 250", width 80"

Ford F350 super crew long box dually.
Length 266", width 96

Dodge 1500 crew cab standard box.
Length 237", width 80"

I am not chasing down the numbers on the rest of these.....

All of these full sizes trucks are basically the same size. All are the same width. Going from extremes of length there is only 3' difference. Yes some sit higher then others.

I still stand by my original statement. If we were comparing compact trucks like Rangers, S-10, Dakota, ect to full size trucks I would agree that there is a difference.

I routinely have either dive or have driven many of these different vehicles. In my I am actually much more comfortable diving my Chevy 3500 dually long box, then I am my work F150.

Last night I had a F350 SRW, Chevy 1500, Chevy 3500 DRW, 2 Dodge 1500's in my driveway. The difference in physical size between them in practical terms is minimal.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:44 PM   #48

Order the tow mirrors on an F150 and it's the same exact width as an F250/350.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:58 PM   #49

Yep...same exact size...hardly any difference at all! Granted that Chevy looks a little lowered....But the point remains. that dually is 1+ foot wider, 1+ foot taller, and 3+ foot longer.

Not exactly the same size truck. 1 foot in each direction probably is nothing to some people. but its a difference between a compact and medium or full sized car in the car world..They are not the same.

Its all perspective, of course. a Shortest wheelbase possible HD 2x4 SRW with regular mirrors would be similar in size a 1/2 ton.

But that's not how anybody orders them. Throw in the tow mirrors, throw in the 4x4.... and the longer wheelbases...Not so much.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote