Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2006, 04:49 PM   #1

Well, this is a long story so I will say sorry now. I have done more reading than posting here, but I think everyone will be shocked by my story so with that here it is;

First, I had a 36' Grand Junction Fifth Wheel camper. I had put all the pots, pans, etc in it. I bought a TV for the bedroom, a new in motion satellite dish for the roof. I chairs, a grill, power cords, etc. My point is I bought a lot of stuff for the trailer over the 1 1/2 I had it. The thing that gets me the most is the redwood clock that I bought while in the Redwood Forest in CA. I can't go down to the store and buy one to replace it which is what ticks my wife off the most. She loved that clock.

The trailer was stored in a self store lot that had 24 hour video cameras, and a gate that you had to use a code to get in and out. You can see the trailer as you pass by on the highway, but only if you are in the right spot. My wife drives past the storage facility every day. She called me on a Thursday and asked if I had the trailer as I had been talking about cleaning the trailer out and winterizing it. I told her no, that I was on my way home from work. She informed my that she didn't see the trailer. Of course I told her that she was crazy. Where would the trailer have gone? My thought was she was not in the right spot to see it. She told me that she didn't see it on Wednesday either but just figured that she was in the wrong spot. So she looked for it on Thursday. I told her that I would stop by and check. As I came round the corner of a building my heart sank. No trailer. I stopped and stood where is was suppose to be. The wood blocks the legs sat on where going. There was a cement block that was sitting there that someone had left. It was gone too.

I raced up the the front office and asked it if they move stuff on the lot. Of course they said no. Then I explained that the trailer was gone. The manager and I started going through the video to try and find out just when it disappeared. We found that is was there Saturday, but not Sunday. So we started searching Saturday. Saturday night was a dark, windy, rainy night. We had severe thunderstorms that night. The video showed that at 10:40pm, a Ford 250 pulls up in front of the camper and two guys and a girl get out. They start messing around with the king pin. Note: that I had one of those king pin locks on the camper. It was dark and raining, so it was hard to see exactly what they where doing, but you see one of them walk to the back fence and come back. They they hook up and take off. Something about watching the camper disappear into the night knowing that you are not the one hooked up to it is just wrong. The bad part is it took them 27 minutes to come in, break the lock off, hook up and leave. If you watch when the truck came in the gate, you can see that the tail gate was down and no license plate on the back. The driver did try to over the camera on the keypad when he entered the code, but it was too late he was already on video.

Any case, we called the police. They came and the officer didn't get out of the car. She started filling of a report. She asked what the value was, and I told her about $46000. She stopped and looked puzzled. I then pulled out the insurance card with the VIN number and gave it to her. She grabbed some more paperwork and wanted to come in the office. She thought I had just lost a cheap trailer. After she saw the video, she understood what I was talking about.

The wife was ******, the kids where upset. What a mess. The manager went through the video and found where the guys and girl came in the office that same day around 2pm to rent a storage unit. One guy and the girl came in together and claimed to be brother helping his sister move to town. I gave a SC drivers license that turned out to be fake and paid in cash. They arrived in a white dodge Ram 1500 and backed into a parking spot so the camera did not capture the license plate. The second guy waited a few minutes and then came in the office. While the manager was busy showing the storage unit to the guy and girl, the second guy was stealing money out of the charity bowl that was sitting there. All three went out and got into the truck and left.

The next day, I talked to the storage manager and found that they found the lock. It was broke in two places. I also learned that they found the fence was cut. They also found on the video when two guys and a girl cut the fence and then walk around the lot looking at all the 5th wheel trailers sitting there. So, they decided that mine was the one to take, and they knew what they had to do to take it. The funny part is that these people send the key to the storage unit back via UPS from AL. Since we caught that the trailer was stolen in time, they now have a location that the key was sent from. I think the manager was ****** as he had to call all the people who have campers stored there to inform them that there was a theft and that they need to check their campers for damage or missing items.

So, fast forwarding. The manager has been contacted three times to date from the guy wanting is deposit for the storage unit back. They also got a call from someone asking about a insurance claim. The police believe that they are trying to find out if the trailer being gone has been noticed yet or not. And/or they want to move the trailer but don't want to be caught with it on the road if it been marked as stolen. The police have found out who the guys are. They are members of a group called the Irish Travelers. If you search the internet, you will find a lot of interesting things their into. But most likely they are living in my camper. And at some point will likely sell the camper to some person. Of course, then the new own tries to register it, they will be in for a surprise. I have been told that I will never see the camper again.

So, I'm looking for the positive in this. We learned what we liked and didn't with the old camper. So I get to pick out a new camper that will fit our needs better. But we will have to wait until toward the end of 2007 before I can get it which is killing me. Insurance settled the contents of the camper within 2 weeks after being reported, but took almost two months to settle the camper itself. End result, I'm out about six thousand dollars.

So, a reminder to everyone, the king pin locks will slow a thief down. But will not stop them from stealing your camper. Next camper will have a lock, boots on the wheels. I went to school for electronic engineering, so I'm going to modify the trailer to present all kinds of problems for the next person how whats to steal my camper. If they are going to attempt to steal it, I want them to feel as much pain as possible.

Any case, Merry Christmas everyone. Anthony

lanwangeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2006, 04:49 PM   #2

Well, this is a long story so I will say sorry now. I have done more reading than posting here, but I think everyone will be shocked by my story so with that here it is;

First, I had a 36' Grand Junction Fifth Wheel camper. I had put all the pots, pans, etc in it. I bought a TV for the bedroom, a new in motion satellite dish for the roof. I chairs, a grill, power cords, etc. My point is I bought a lot of stuff for the trailer over the 1 1/2 I had it. The thing that gets me the most is the redwood clock that I bought while in the Redwood Forest in CA. I can't go down to the store and buy one to replace it which is what ticks my wife off the most. She loved that clock.

The trailer was stored in a self store lot that had 24 hour video cameras, and a gate that you had to use a code to get in and out. You can see the trailer as you pass by on the highway, but only if you are in the right spot. My wife drives past the storage facility every day. She called me on a Thursday and asked if I had the trailer as I had been talking about cleaning the trailer out and winterizing it. I told her no, that I was on my way home from work. She informed my that she didn't see the trailer. Of course I told her that she was crazy. Where would the trailer have gone? My thought was she was not in the right spot to see it. She told me that she didn't see it on Wednesday either but just figured that she was in the wrong spot. So she looked for it on Thursday. I told her that I would stop by and check. As I came round the corner of a building my heart sank. No trailer. I stopped and stood where is was suppose to be. The wood blocks the legs sat on where going. There was a cement block that was sitting there that someone had left. It was gone too.

I raced up the the front office and asked it if they move stuff on the lot. Of course they said no. Then I explained that the trailer was gone. The manager and I started going through the video to try and find out just when it disappeared. We found that is was there Saturday, but not Sunday. So we started searching Saturday. Saturday night was a dark, windy, rainy night. We had severe thunderstorms that night. The video showed that at 10:40pm, a Ford 250 pulls up in front of the camper and two guys and a girl get out. They start messing around with the king pin. Note: that I had one of those king pin locks on the camper. It was dark and raining, so it was hard to see exactly what they where doing, but you see one of them walk to the back fence and come back. They they hook up and take off. Something about watching the camper disappear into the night knowing that you are not the one hooked up to it is just wrong. The bad part is it took them 27 minutes to come in, break the lock off, hook up and leave. If you watch when the truck came in the gate, you can see that the tail gate was down and no license plate on the back. The driver did try to over the camera on the keypad when he entered the code, but it was too late he was already on video.

Any case, we called the police. They came and the officer didn't get out of the car. She started filling of a report. She asked what the value was, and I told her about $46000. She stopped and looked puzzled. I then pulled out the insurance card with the VIN number and gave it to her. She grabbed some more paperwork and wanted to come in the office. She thought I had just lost a cheap trailer. After she saw the video, she understood what I was talking about.

The wife was ******, the kids where upset. What a mess. The manager went through the video and found where the guys and girl came in the office that same day around 2pm to rent a storage unit. One guy and the girl came in together and claimed to be brother helping his sister move to town. I gave a SC drivers license that turned out to be fake and paid in cash. They arrived in a white dodge Ram 1500 and backed into a parking spot so the camera did not capture the license plate. The second guy waited a few minutes and then came in the office. While the manager was busy showing the storage unit to the guy and girl, the second guy was stealing money out of the charity bowl that was sitting there. All three went out and got into the truck and left.

The next day, I talked to the storage manager and found that they found the lock. It was broke in two places. I also learned that they found the fence was cut. They also found on the video when two guys and a girl cut the fence and then walk around the lot looking at all the 5th wheel trailers sitting there. So, they decided that mine was the one to take, and they knew what they had to do to take it. The funny part is that these people send the key to the storage unit back via UPS from AL. Since we caught that the trailer was stolen in time, they now have a location that the key was sent from. I think the manager was ****** as he had to call all the people who have campers stored there to inform them that there was a theft and that they need to check their campers for damage or missing items.

So, fast forwarding. The manager has been contacted three times to date from the guy wanting is deposit for the storage unit back. They also got a call from someone asking about a insurance claim. The police believe that they are trying to find out if the trailer being gone has been noticed yet or not. And/or they want to move the trailer but don't want to be caught with it on the road if it been marked as stolen. The police have found out who the guys are. They are members of a group called the Irish Travelers. If you search the internet, you will find a lot of interesting things their into. But most likely they are living in my camper. And at some point will likely sell the camper to some person. Of course, then the new own tries to register it, they will be in for a surprise. I have been told that I will never see the camper again.

So, I'm looking for the positive in this. We learned what we liked and didn't with the old camper. So I get to pick out a new camper that will fit our needs better. But we will have to wait until toward the end of 2007 before I can get it which is killing me. Insurance settled the contents of the camper within 2 weeks after being reported, but took almost two months to settle the camper itself. End result, I'm out about six thousand dollars.

So, a reminder to everyone, the king pin locks will slow a thief down. But will not stop them from stealing your camper. Next camper will have a lock, boots on the wheels. I went to school for electronic engineering, so I'm going to modify the trailer to present all kinds of problems for the next person how whats to steal my camper. If they are going to attempt to steal it, I want them to feel as much pain as possible.

Any case, Merry Christmas everyone. Anthony

Old 12-26-2006, 07:14 AM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
So sorry that happened. Let's hope that all campers that have to store thoir unit, learn from this.

Make it tough for the thieves. Lock wheels, etc. The sercurity of the storage yard certainly should not be relied upon totally. Good luck finding a replacement.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 12:17 PM   #4

Sure am sorry to read about your predicament. Hope the Law catches those jerks & punishes them good.

I stored my trailer at an indoor facility this year. The guy driving the tow vehicle is an expert because he fit the trailer into an extremely tight spot. There is so much stuff around it that it can't be moved w/o moving a lot of it. I also pulled the battery with the power tongue jack extended so that would make it bit tougher to steal (or they'll break it off). Also have the normal locks in place. Guess there's no guarantees though.

1998 TowLite 18TD
BigPackFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 05:25 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
un believeable. i am sorry t hear your rig was taken
wow,
i may lock mine a bit better now with wheel locks
sure hope they catch the fools that did this

were your slides out??
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 02:14 AM   #6

Sorry for the loss, I know its upsetting. I've done extensive investigations concerning those travellers and they are very well organized. Whole families make livings from their numerous scams.Usually they stay just long enough in an area to cause havoc then move out just as quickly as they arrived. Good luck.
Buzzcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 02:59 AM   #7

I can only imagine your feelings. I don't know what we would do if ours were stolen. Nothing will stop a determined thief. Our only protection is to make our posessions so difficult to steal the thief moves to an easier target.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 06:19 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by powerboatr:
un believeable. i am sorry t hear your rig was taken
wow,
i may lock mine a bit better now with wheel locks
sure hope they catch the fools that did this

were your slides out?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The sides where in at the time. I'm not sure why my camper was picked. Granted a lot of people that stored their campers there had left for the winter. And yes mine was among a few large ones there. But the thing that gets me, is most of the campers are just sitting there with no locks or anything. Yet, they choose mine. They question I will never know is why. The bad part is I expected someone to break into the camper and steal the TV's, stereo, etc. I never dreamed they would take the trailer too.

At least the police have figured out who did it. But they have messed up vacations for 2007. The worst part of this whole thing is that my kids have taken this really hard. No only did they lose there toys, but they loved to go camping every weekend.

It's been my goal to show the kids all fifty states before they hit college. I want them to realize there is more to life than the city we live in. I want them to realize that the world is in their hands, they just have to choose to do something with it.

I have started looking for a new one. I'm just have to wait a little bit until I'm done with the home remodel. I realize that this most likely never happen again. But I'm going to spend a few extra bucks to ensure that this never happens again. If it does, I want it to be a royal pain the the southern region to pull off.

Any case, thanks for the comments. And if for nothing else, take away the thought that if you store the camper in a public place that you think is safe, it may not be as safe as you think. Happy camping..... Anthony

Old 12-27-2006, 11:20 AM   #9

Guess I am lucky. I store mine at home and there is usually a vehicle parked in front of it most of the time.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:09 PM   #10

Anthony,

Holy Crap!
As others have said, I'm sorry for your loss. We had those Irish Travelers come through the area a few years ago and they're just plain bad.

We keep our TT at my Dad's farm, and where it's at it can be seen from the road, so I'm kind of worried about it with just the hitch lock on it and have been considering getting a heavy duty motorcycle cable, a boot or something for the wheels. I googled "trailer wheel lock" and there's any number of possibilities out there.

As the esteemed Top Sergeant said, hopefully make the thief move on to an easier target.

Maybe you can pick up a (gulp) family sized tent for this year and still get the kids out and about in nature.

Good luck to you...

"The pursuit of perfection is frustrating and a waste of time. The pursuit
NT-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:01 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Anmthony & family
My condolences as well - a hassle for sure. your shared lessons: additional locks to slow them down. Would a small umbrella policy cover the $6K loss? You did a good job: extra locks, and picked a good business having video security. Those gypsies are full time thieves.

Mike-n-Teri

97 Dodge 3500 Diesel 2nd owner
Mike-n-Teri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:14 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Would a small umbrella policy cover the $6K loss? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My biggest mistake was no GAP insurance. GAP insurance will cover any difference between the value of the trailer at insurance will pay and what the loan amount is. They didn't offer GAP when I bought the camper. I carry it on all my other vehicles and it is fairly cheap. That would have dropped my loss down to my deducible on the policies. I had looked at the RV specific insurance, but they wanted over twice as much a month. Yeah the offer add benefits, but I can get the basically the same with my insurance and GAP and pay a lot less.

I have learned a great painful lesson. If for nothing else, I hope you can take something a way from this and prevent if from happing to you too. Anthony

Old 12-29-2006, 09:33 AM   #13

Again, many deep condolences on the loss.

The FBI should be involved in this as it appears "the crime" crossed state lines whilst telephone communications were also utilized in connection with it. Definately sounds like Federal "juice" should be involved...It's an organized crime ring, of sorts..

My wife is always fond of two different philosophies concerning situations such as yours..

First, there WILL be some good come out of the entire predicament. What it is is anyone's guess. But I maybe think, especially after reading your post about how you had dissected your camper and the things that you didn't like about it, that maybe a new and much improved version of the fiver awaits you! One with more bells and whistles than you could imagine. One with everything right about it that you found wrong with the former...

And, as the wife also expounds phophetically (and with a startling accuracy!), they way that you treat others, the things that you have done good and, the things that have been done bad to others, WILL come back to you in spades.

I will say that this gang of outlaws WILL get what's coming to them in due time. How or what is anyone's guess. The Earthly possibilities are endless.

But God knows all..He knows who, what, when and where...And He WILL punish those responsible..In His way, in His time..

Good luck with your situation!
Old 12-30-2006, 01:29 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OMG that's devastating....I'd have to mess somebody up on that one!

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote