Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #15

I use a lot of internet data, what we are doing now is moving ever month or two. We stay at parks that the cable company will sell me internet with no contract while I am there and I can get 60mbps speeds and unlimited download.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #16

Read the fine print on the catv speeds, that is burst data for 2 seconds, then nothing for 28 seconds. I really love how they can LIE TO CUSTOMERS and get away with it!

Old 05-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #17

IMO toy haulers wouldn't be good for fulltiming, You mentioned a deck/porch, I personally don't think those are practical. We live in ours fulltime, love it however, we jumped the gun and bought the first fifth wheel we looked at and we regret it, not enough room. Be sure you look at alot of rvs before you buy. They depreciate so be careful. We have been looking to upgrade asap, we will lose money but we now no what we are looking for. We have looked at just about every brand/model there is, I have pissed a few sales people off because I knew more about their units then they did. We know we want a seperate bathroom, with large shower, a kitchen thats in the middle, with a large refrigerator, and we want a king bed. Also, look at insulation, how much weight your truck can tow, how its built. We want auto leveling, etc. I can not stress enough do your homework. Also, when fulltiming you need fulltime insurance, regular car insurance won't cover it. If any more questions just ask. We have looked for 18 months, gone from TN to TX to FL to VA to look at all the models we like. Warranty is another thing. Heartland Big Country, Big Horn & Landmarks have a 2+5 warranty and fulltimer coverage. Anyway, good luck.

Brenda & Delbert

In Alabama at the present, next move to Tennessee.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #18

JMO but it may sound great now and be fine for 6mth to a yr but your financing that TH for 12-15 yrs. Plus your truck. You need a diesel 1 ton for towing. If you decide to bailout then you'll take a huge hit on the TH, Truck not so. I've only been RV'ing for 3 yrs, not full timing and there's nothing cheap about it. For most it's just a nice way to get away from the house. Lots of people FT, and you sound like you may be able to grind it out. But how long did you live in your car or on the boat. A few months or was it 4-5 years? I''d think long and hard about it. It's easier when you're retired and don't have many demands.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #19

Toy haulers are not the optimal trailers for tastes of full timers, the "garage" makes the living space a bit skimpy. Full timing is more a state of mind rather than a rig, I've known couples who can't stand each other for more than a week in a half a million bus and I've seen persons full time in a van conversion.
We started (42 years ago) in a tent, then went through 11 foot slide on, 32' fifth, 36' fifth and now a 40' fifth. Other than the tent we could spend long expanses of time in any of them, but it was the 40 footer that gave me (us) the "feeling" that I didn't need the house. We did 11,000 miles in it over 4 months three years ago.
If you need to work on the road you will need a "work space" (computer space) away from the main living area and a "real door" that you can close. In my instance I have a computer desk in the bedroom that I can close off.
You are starting pretty young (younger than us), congratulation, I don't look at the various RV's I had as "mistakes", it was just phases of what I could afford at the time and what served our purpose at the time. Although I admit that the 36 foot Corsica (bought very cheap new at an auction)

was an absolute piece of crap and literally fell apart after few years. The RV industry still manufactures lot of glitzy crap so you need to educate yourself on which rigs are more suitable for fulltiming vs. weekend RVing
You might want to start your "education" with Lippert. https://www.google.com/search?q=lipp...hrome&ie=UTF-8

hjs
Old 05-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #20

hjsdds x2 on the Lippert fiasco. That's why we went with a Northwood product. They make their own frames. They do have some Lippert items on them. Hard to get completely away from Lippert as they have gobbled up many RV part manufactures.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #21

I have to agree. I did not listen to my wife's requirements and now I am paying for it. I bought a smaller 5th wheel unit with limited space but easy to pull with my 3/4 diesel. She wanted more space in the kitchen, she wanted a bed she could walk around and she wanted a glass shower unit. Now I am looking at larger 5th wheels or Class A units and taking a beating on this unit as a trade in.

Good luck
Mike
Old 05-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #22

Well I can say one thing.. Even with a high jncome I was declined financing :/

I'll have to figure something out soon but I'd prefer to get a larger more comfortable space.

I guess a toy hauler wouldn't be my best option but at least I tried. Now to find a different one.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJSureshot View Post
Well I can say one thing.. Even with a high jncome I was declined financing :/

I'll have to figure something out soon but I'd prefer to get a larger more comfortable space.

I guess a toy hauler wouldn't be my best option but at least I tried. Now to find a different one.
Most dealers & lenders will not finance if you tell them you will be living in it. We had a problem a few months ago while trying to trade our unit, we will try again next month in the state we use our homestead state.