Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #1

We're thinking of buying

I'm 23 years old and own a web development company, the reason I'm sharing that is because I'm able to work anywhere in the world with an Internet connection or data plan via my phone.

Our thought was to buy a toy hauler, store a motorcycle in the garage and live full time (I've lived in a car and in boats before).

Our current rent is around $1625 a month for a pretty big house with a pool and hot tub but we feel we could save a lot of money and enjoy life more simply with an RV.

Any suggestions or tips?

Justin

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #2

I'd like to point out we are looking at a Road Warrior 310 and the price is $57,000 after taxes.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Need to carefully consider your internet access needs. WiFi in campgrounds varies in speed and quality. Something like a 4G hotspot can become expensive with high usage. Unlimited data plans can carry throttling restrictions above a set usage.

Etc. Etc.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #4

The payments on a trailer and a tow vehicle + an RV park's monthly/ weekly rate + fuel + phone internet access, could easily top what you are currently paying for rent. So be very careful what you include when looking into full timing as simply a money saver. JMHO.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #5

While I know nothing about the internet, web development or the like, seems to me if TV stations can send and receive signals in order to broadcast, your superior knowledge should enable you to do likewise.

Sixteen and quarter is pretty hefty especially if you don't use or need a lot of the stuff associated with that much money per month. Do the math and if it works, do it!. The life experiences, things you will see and people you will meet and most importantly, the confidence you will gain in yourself are really priceless.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
you didnt say what you are getting for the $1625/month? I figure I could live at a campground fulltime for around $400/month... dependent on location. That leaves $1225 on the table for the rest.
I get stir crazy after a rainy weekend in my rig.
I lived on a boat for 6 months. It was a houseboat... and it was always parked. If was fun for a week. Couldnt ever sleep late whether it was weekend warrior fishermen or late night partiers.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #7

RVing is not cheap. Lots of other things to add onto just the price of a camp ground.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you are talking about a toy hauler MH, I suggest you look at getting more living quarters and pull a trailer with your toys in it.

5er toy haulers are very nice and have more room if you are looking at a new one. Older ones don't have the living space. And if you are going FT you will need more living space than toys. IMO

Dave
Old 05-22-2013, 09:24 PM   #9

A house is a investment. A RV is an expense (depreciates fasttttt!)
HHIDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #10

Justin,
Like what was said a average park runs around $400 a month including everything, that leaves a lot on the table for fuel and vehicle. After figuring all the expense in there is quite a bit of savings, because besides your rent there are a lot of other expense with a house that drives that prices up fast. We fulltime and love it the people you meet and the RV lifestyle is wonderful we have fallen in love with it and we are in our twenties. The biggest suggestion is do more research on a rig. Most of the toy haulers look nice but I don't think they would hold up to alot of traveling and fulltiming.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:47 AM   #11

I really appreciate the feedback wow. The toy hauler I'm looking at has a patio, full diner and bed for when the motorcycle isn't stored.

Also to clarify my rent is $1625 on a 4 bedroom house with a pool and hot tub. Adding on other bills for maintenance and utilities and its around $2500/mo which isn't fun to me.

My payment on the RV would be $436/mo and since I've lived on boats and in a car is be perfectly fine in the RV so long as I can find a decent net connection and enjoy the outdoors as much as possible.

My only worry is that I won't be able to find a good wifi signal but I am willing to get multiple data plans if that's the best route. Just need to find a way to connect to the net.

If all else fails I can also get an office/warehouse building that can fit the RV for $750/mo and get a wifi signal there for when I need it.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only hitch I see in getting a loan for an "RV" at such a young age is the lender might ask for additional collateral or security since basically you can move off into the sunset to never been seen again!
Old 05-23-2013, 06:53 AM   #13

LA Gulf Coast Campers
RVing is not cheap.. With upkeep, cost of RV, rent, moving from one location to other. (Personally after a couple of weeks....gotta get home to space.)
Sounds like you would be ok though, but I say....don't do it to save money. Where I'm from monthly rate ranges 400 to 600. And you pay electricity, cable, any phone lines etc. State Parks have a limit on how long a stay.....also MOST campers are nice , just sometimes, not so nice...... just my take. .
Rushmore2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJSureshot View Post
I really appreciate the feedback wow. The toy hauler I'm looking at has a patio, full diner and bed for when the motorcycle isn't stored.

Also to clarify my rent is $1625 on a 4 bedroom house with a pool and hot tub. Adding on other bills for maintenance and utilities and its around $2500/mo which isn't fun to me.

My payment on the RV would be $436/mo and since I've lived on boats and in a car is be perfectly fine in the RV so long as I can find a decent net connection and enjoy the outdoors as much as possible.

My only worry is that I won't be able to find a good wifi signal but I am willing to get multiple data plans if that's the best route. Just need to find a way to connect to the net.

If all else fails I can also get an office/warehouse building that can fit the RV for $750/mo and get a wifi signal there for when I need it.
Go for it. I presume you will do the development on your workstation, then upload it to a server, and test via the web. Research the cost of service from Verizon or Millenicom: Millenicom.

Visit the 3G Store 3Gstore.com, 3G/4G Routers, Antennas, Amplifiers, WiFi, Extended Batteries, Data, IP Switch & CloudCam - you can call them to determine what you will need. I am thinking an external antenna and booster would be wanted for areas where the signal strength is a little low. You won't want to rely on campground wifi, as it can get really slow at peak times. I am betting your cost for data + rig payments + campground expenses, etc, is going to be considerably less than the rent + utiliites you're paying now.

Jim