Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2016, 12:31 AM   #15

My old 94 Alpenlite 27sl has a lot of foam insulation and single pane windows. I am very impressed with it being air tight. I live in the desert where we have black out dust storms and it does not get dusty inside. I use a 6000 btu catalytic heater in 16 f weather with wind. It stays 48.. f inside. Turn on the forced air in the AM when I get up. Tanks are insulated and don't freeze up. Never camped in 14 f or lower temps. Could run gen and forced air in colder weather.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2016, 12:32 AM   #16

Excel Owners Club
There are endless designs and construction details in this industry. All I can say with any authority is what I have in my 2007 Excel Classic. The utility space is "isolated" from the main basement with two sliding wood doors. There is very limited open space between these two areas with the doors closed. The utility space which contains the sealed battery box directory above the furnace also functions as the cold air return from the living space back to the furnace. There is a grate in the bottom step going to the BR. Therefor, it gets the warmed return air plus whatever heat is transferred from the furnace and the connection plastic heat hoses. My fresh water tank is in the back portion of this space and has its own 2" heater hose. I think there is limited need to heat the rest of the basement, unless you store things in there that should not freeze. In which case I'd leave the sliding doors open some. All of my compartment doors, excluding the battery compartment have 1 1/2" thick insulated doors.

Other makes and models may share some of these design features, so your milage may vary.

rarebear.nm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:02 AM   #17

Great thought Garbonz, I never gave the shrink film a thought. I did that once in my S&B years ago on a window ,worked fairly well reducing a cold draft.

CLIFF
Old 02-05-2016, 05:07 PM   #18

All Montana 5th wheels. Are factory rated for zero degrees and have been for at least 10 years
Old 02-05-2016, 05:25 PM   #19

Excel Owners Club
My Excel is rated to withstand -10 F. Not that I will ever find out. They went out of business last year, but you might find a late model used unit.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:19 AM   #20

Go sit in your 2 " sidewall Montana in 10 deg the walls are insulated no different then any others in that price range including mine and l couldn't imagine how much propane l would have to go through at 10degrees. They all put the same hard stryofoam type insulation in them.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:53 AM   #21

I have no expertise, really, about arctic or four-season RV packages. I will relate, however, that a factory rep for a respected 5th wheel maker said he didn't think their double pane window option was much better than the single pane. I don't remember his reasoning for certain, but I think he said the two panes were so close together that there wasn't much insulation value in the air between them. Separately, double pane windows have been known to fog, sometimes permanently, if I recall correctly.

I did a little Googling on the subject and this report seems to come down on the side against them:
You Might Want to Forego Double-Paned Windows in Your Rig

On the same site is a DIY Reflectix solution:
Clever Mod for Cold Weather RV Window Insulation

I have no affiliation with DIYRV, nor any investment in the single or double pane window debate.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:46 AM   #22
JDT

Another plug for a used Excel. We are not cold weather campers but did get trapped in several days of weather in the low teens a couple of years ago. We had no problem staying warm or with anything freezing. In 2012 when we bought ours the dual pane windows were standard. I think they are Hehr brand, or something like that.
JDT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:27 AM   #23

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Most of them, check them out on line or go to an RV dealer.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:34 PM   #24

With dual pane windows l did not get the condensation on the windows and they are somewhat quieter
Old 02-06-2016, 04:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
Go sit in your 2 " sidewall Montana in 10 deg the walls are insulated no different then any others in that price range including mine and l couldn't imagine how much propane l would have to go through at 10degrees. They all put the same hard stryofoam type insulation in them.
Actually that is a wrong statement. There is different types of foam. There is open cell as in most units out of Indiana. Then there is closed cell used, such as the Blue Dow, in NuWa, Teton, New Horizons, and some other higher end units. Our heat pumps will keep us warm down to 28 degrees. furnace takes over then and it cycles. Dual pane windows help a ton. Lots of glass in a camper. Had a previous unit with 3.250 inch walls with batten insulation in them. It was cold unit and difficult to heat or cool. A good laminate closed cell foam wall is hard to beat in our units.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:10 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
With dual pane windows l did not get the condensation on the windows and they are somewhat quieter
That right there is what I've read too. Less condensation, quieter and even if they don't give all that much added R value its the quiet I'd be interested in. Browsing thru RVs at recent RV shows and stepping inside an Arctic Fox with standard DP windows, I opened and shut one for the heck of it. Way, way better sliding window than the single pane I've had before. Same brand too. The whole window assembly just felt more solid.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:02 PM   #27

I said in the average price range. Not upper end .
Old 02-07-2016, 09:24 AM   #28

We had both types of windows and stayed in both RVs on the cold fall days.
DP windows is a no brainer, we will never have standard windows again.
As for insulation foam walls are much better then loose wool 2/1.
I found FG insulation i oir back wall and it did not take long for me to install the foam though it was a pain.
We are very comfortable in 0degF days in our Heartland unit. It does not take much more to heat the unit with electric heaters. The propane furnace does it well but not efficient.

Tags
window