Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2019, 08:21 AM   #15

I had never towed a 5th wheel before, but my Pullrite sure makes it easy, I didn't want the opportunity to forget to move a manual slider and wrecking my truck

2006 Keystone Raptor 3712
waterjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2019, 11:24 AM   #16

a link to look at and think about. bes of both worlds superior hitch and a slider. scroll down to view

http://www.trailersaver.com/product/...pickup-trucks/
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterjosh View Post
I had never towed a 5th wheel before, but my Pullrite sure makes it easy, I didn't want the opportunity to forget to move a manual slider and wrecking my truck
X2

I have also used a Superglide and I would highly recommend it. If you use a static hitch and the ground is uneaven you may hit the glass in your truck. Happy trails good luck
sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:55 PM   #18

hitch

In my 16th year with a 16K Pullrite Superglide.

Tremendous hitch!

No second thoughts about making tight turns, U-turns, or jackknifing.

C.B.
C.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:46 PM   #19

Don't have a toy hauler but do have the superglide on a 12500lb trailer and 6.5box truck I would not go back to a manual slider or risk a cab impact. Love the superglide.

RoadrunnerII
Old 06-18-2019, 09:10 AM   #20

OK I'll confuse your issue even more. An air cushioned hitch might be the way to go, but I've never used one, so can't really comment. I have towed 5ers with 4 different short bed trucks and 5 different 5ers. Never used a slider. Never had a cab strike but have been close. I'm currently using a B&W puck mount with the companion hitch. I don't back into places I need to go over 90* and I can do 90 without a cab strike. Could I do a cab strike?--Yes would be easy to do if you keep going. I usually hesitate to go more than 45* if on pavement due to the stress I think it places on the trailer suspension. I'll go a bit more if I'm on gravel. I've talked to a number of other 5er haulers and find a lot of the slider owners never use them. I also talk to some who swear they would never tow without one. From what I can tell, those who say you should never tow a 5er with a shortbed without a slider have not done it. The newer radius front are very easy and two of the campers I towed had flat fronts and I did have to be more vigilant with them.

Hope this helps.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:37 AM   #21

The difference is do you want to tow with hitch where you do not have to worry about angle when backing up or are you extremely vigilent what angle you are when backing up. That is the choice so you do not have to say. Oh ____ I broke the glass in my cab. What is that worth.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:43 AM   #22

The choice is whether you want to back up with no concern or you can be very vigilent with the angle when backing in. It's to late when you say oh ____! I broke the glass in my cab. What will that cost.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnick2401 View Post
Ok thanks, so the Andersen wont be a good choice for our camper? Some people have told me they use a fixed .... some use the Andersen. Some have said they have a slider but have never needed it. So many conflicting opinions lol. Makes it all very confusing

You keep mentioning the Anderson, since your RV is a 2017 your warranty is up so using the Anderson won't void the warranty. However you have been given some really good recommendations on slider hitches but for some reason I get the feeling you're waiting for an Anderson recommendation. If you want the Anderson then get one, if it works for you then great, if not then you go back to a Slider or something else. The only thing I will tell you is the overhang frame on your RV is not as strong as one would think, a ridged hitch/truck combination could be damaging to the frame under certain vertical pin box impact conditions, just something to consider.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:56 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnick2401 View Post
Ok thanks, so the Andersen wont be a good choice for our camper? Some people have told me they use a fixed .... some use the Andersen. Some have said they have a slider but have never needed it. So many conflicting opinions lol. Makes it all very confusing
Keep in mind what works best for one truck will not work the best for another.
Ram/Ford and GM all have different C/A cab to the trucks rear axle....plus trailers can have different front corner configurations.
Plus pin location in the bed plus with many folks their brand hitch is the best.

Same with the need for a slider. GM has the longest C/A dimension so many GN owners won't need a sliding hitch. I've seen more than one GM shortbed owner go with the Superglide....then later report he sold it for a much lighter weight conventional hitch. His trailer was made with the rounded/notched front corners. He didn;'t do his homework and bit into the "you gotta' have a sliding hitch". Your rv dealer or the hitch mfg can give you tech advice for making that decision.

Just like which brand/size of truck you need..... everyone has a opinion on what you should have.
JIMNLIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 01:47 PM   #25

Blue ox super ride!
Old 06-25-2019, 01:34 PM   #26

My 5ver toy hauler is my first RV. I knew I was new. I knew I was gonna make mistakes. I read much here and other places before registering. I'm overly analytical. I was also trying to set up so my wife would drive the rig while I rode the motorcycle ( that will never happen).

I am happy with my Pullrite Autoslider. Pulling into a campsite in the rain, and I don't have to unlock and slide manually to back in or just to get to the campsite.

50% we camp primative, on private property in Tennessee and West Virginia. Sometimes it's tight!

If I get another short bed truck, I do another auto slider!
Old 06-26-2019, 08:10 AM   #27

Hitch

I use the Demco Superslide 5th wheel hitch in my 6'-6" RAM 2500 bed. The hitch is the best on the market with zero worry about the trailer hitting the cab. My only complaint is amount of bed space required for any slide hitch.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:38 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
At 20,000 pounds GVWR I sure hope you have a dually.
How does a hitch question go to having a dually?
dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel