Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2016, 07:13 AM   #15

You will learn from experience. Here's 3 of my stupid stuff.

1. Forgot to put the antenna down. Didn't realize until on the way home as I went under a railroad overpass I heard a 'Tink!'. Tink? What goes tink? An antenna does as its being sheared off. Discussion with my DW about who's job it was to lower the antenna. She does inside stuff and I do outside stuff. Apparently because the antenna was outside it was my responsibility.

2. Drove off after dumping with the steps down. Grab handle out. Door wide open. Had a car pull up beside me and tell me. No damage done.

3. Did you know that with enough effort, it is possible to pull out of a site with the X-Chocks still installed? Again, no damage.

I used to worry about what others were thinking when they would watch me take 3 or 4 tries to back into a site. Until I started watching others take 3 or 4 tries.

I did have some much appreciated help from a couple of campers once helping me negotiate around some low hanging branches.

Have a good working relationship with your wife if she guides you while backing up. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people arguing due to a lack of communication. Shirley does a great job of guiding me. The only problem we have is when she want's me to somehow magically move the whole unit sideways. But we're working on that.

Best advise I have is !

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #16

Great advice! I ordered the optional G rated Goodyear tires with the trailer.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:23 AM   #17

We need to categorize and number these, especially our goof ups.
#5. Oh yeah, I did that once
#32. I did that one 3 times before I learned
#49. Yep, that was a biggie
We have all pulled some pretty good boo boos from time to time, but most likely somebody else has already done that one. It's certainly best to learn from our mistakes, but I do prefer learning from someone else's mistakes.
Like every one else I have made my fair share, and looking through the other responses I haven't come up with a new one , so far anyway. So far no serious damage.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:52 AM   #18

Checklist

I wonder how many of you have gone to the trouble of writing up a checklist of things to do before pulling out? Maybe one for outside and one for inside with the last step of each being to make sure the other was done? Laminated so you can check off with a dry erase marker as you go? Perhaps another list for all the steps of dumping or whatever. Or is that excessive?
Old 07-06-2016, 01:02 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Another Checklist

X2 on the Checklist. We have a motorhome and always use a laminated checklist before departure. It's surprising how many times we forget simple things.

Regards, Jerry
Old 07-06-2016, 06:35 AM   #20

Friends bring their own trailers or tents or they don't go. Especially if they drink. And turn out to be bad drunks that want to fight then worship porcelain all night. Gross but it happens. Only once for us.

"I wonder how many of you have gone to the trouble of writing up a checklist of things to do before pulling out?'

That's exactly what I do. I keep a Google Doc that's easily update able. Accessible with my phone, anywhere I have service. Print it new each trip. Place it On the counter with a pen to check things off. I have one for inside and one for outside.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:40 AM   #21

"I used to worry about what others were thinking when they would watch me take 3 or 4 tries to back into a site. Until I started watching others take 3 or 4 tries."

The EXACT reason I now go a day earlier. And to have a day without anyone there if someone else is going. But watching people park and couples fight over parking it here or there. It's especially fun when after multiple tries, the wife throws a fit and wants it back where it originally was.

A camp site next to a boat ramp is just as entertaining.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:46 AM   #22

I completely agree with everything said so far and would only add:
Since everyone else is in a hurry, you should slow down. Besides, you're bigger and it will take you longer to stop when they all slam on the brakes.
Backing is easy when you remind your extra set of eyes that if they can not see you, then you can not see them. Also, if you don't know what to do, stop and get out and find out where your partner is.
Almost all campgrounds have Wi-Fi, don't expect it to work (get a DVD player and know where the Red Box is for rainy day back-up entertainment).

Remember- this is supposed to be fun!
Old 07-06-2016, 09:09 AM   #23

"Almost all campgrounds have Wi-Fi, don't expect it to work (get a DVD player and know where the Red Box is for rainy day back-up entertainment)."

I set my phone on the counter and leave it unless I hafta hafta pick it up and we tossed our tv out years ago. Just give me cold ac, cold Dr Pepper, shade and a chair, and a river or a lake. Anything else left behind, oh well.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:25 PM   #24

You can create an easy checklist using "Google Keep" (App in the App store/Google Play) and once checked off, just go back and "uncheck" prior to your next trip. Google Keep does a lot more, but great for checklist.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:49 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamyb View Post
I completely agree with everything said so far and would only add:
Since everyone else is in a hurry, you should slow down. Besides, you're bigger and it will take you longer to stop when they all slam on the brakes.
Backing is easy when you remind your extra set of eyes that if they can not see you, then you can not see them. Also, if you don't know what to do, stop and get out and find out where your partner is.

Remember- this is supposed to be fun!
DO NOT let inconsiderate drivers ruin your day. You can't change their behavior on the road. Ignore them and have a laugh. Learned this next one while driving an 18 wheeler. Never back any further than you have to. This rule is primarily for outside of CG driving.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:26 PM   #26

Buy a Tent ! Lol
Old 07-06-2016, 01:29 PM   #27

The backups usually go great when no one is around to see your skills in action . Lol
Old 07-09-2016, 12:27 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Get a Camco Stop Leak Connector

Get a: Camco - Stop Leak Connector

Stop Leak Connector - Camco

This is a simple plastic connector that attaches the the end of the hose that brings city water to your coach or trailer. It seems like normal hose connectors tend to leak water at this connection. This has a thick gasket that makes a great water seal and the plastic will not damage your water input to your trailer.

Leaky water hoses are one of my pet peeves....

Also be sure you get a water pressure regulator for the hose. Some RV parks have high water pressure that may damage your plumbing.

Regards, Jerry

Tags
advice