Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2009, 05:04 PM   #1

What are quality Full-Time Brands?

Hi Especially to you Full-timers.

My wife and I have made the decision to upgrade our RV to a fifth-wheel large and roomy enough to go full-time. We have looked at some brands such as Everest, Excel and Cardinal. They all look good, but I'm really concerned about quality. This purchase has to be reliable and last for a number of years. I'm hoping some of you folks can give me the benefit of your experience in helping us choose on the basis of overall quality.
Thanks,
Dennis and Lori

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If I was thinking in terms of fulltiming: I would definately be looking at Excel, NUWA, Carriage and Mobile Suite....the rest that are still in business are not really good for full timing. JMHO

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
The manufacturer of Select, Mobile and Elite Suites recently changed their name from DoubleTree RV to DRV in case you're trying to do a Google search. HERE is a link.

I'd add the Newmar 5th wheels to the list to check out as well.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would duplicate Woodburners list. Problem is that with so many going under, the lsit is getting shorter.

Ken
Old 03-11-2009, 08:02 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yeah, I think I remember Richard telling me NuWa is out of the high-end 5r business. Of course, you can still get any of the mfr's units if you're willing to go used.

Jayco might be another one to add to the list. I've heard they have excellent build quality & everyone I know of that's owned a Jayco has been satisfied.

BTW, I see it's your first post (assuming your post numbers are accurate, unlike the rest of us ), so WELCOME! Glad to have you here.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:06 PM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Yeah, I think I remember Richard telling me NuWa is out of the high-end 5r business.

Lori-
I did, but they're starting back. Click here for the thread.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:17 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
That's great, Richard. With all the bad news about rv manufacturers swirling around, one coming back, especially a quality one, is a little bit of sunshine.

Another quality one (or at least it used to be) is Newmar. They're still around, aren't they?

Lori
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
Old 03-11-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
As far as I know Newmar is still producing 5th wheels.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:08 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
BTW, there's some late model 5-r's (3 of the mfr's listed in this thread) on iRV2's classified that look pretty nice. Might be worth checking them out.

Lori-
Old 03-12-2009, 03:44 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
buy quality

I have been really stuck on the Carraige line myself. Here are two RV online trader sites offering some real deals that can be had. Here is the first one RV Online and 2nd one RV Trader .

What is really important to me is the over-all "fit & Finish" of how the whole rig is put together. I look at how clean and finished the cabinets are put together. I look in the storage areas "trunk" ceiling to see if things look neat. O by the way. Not to sound like a plug for Carraige But, that they have a rear storage trunk too. Kind of cool. I look at the slide mechanism. I look at all the exterior trim pieces. Are screws that were ment to be counter-sunk nice and flush. Is the caulk smooth and just where it needs to be. It reminds me, On my current RV trailer (Aerolite) the caulk job was 100% complete, But they had so much excess caulk on areas of the trailer's sidewall surface. It was if the person doing the caulking had a rag with excess caulk rubbing up against the side of the trailer. But over-all I'm 100% satisfied with my purchase. At the time of purchase (05') I was willing to pay more to get quality. The Aerolite's were about $1-2k more than the other light-weight hybrids at that time. In 4 seasons covering about 200+ nights I couldn't be happier... In the end the fit and finish pays off, especially the cabinets.....

My retirement rig will be a quality 5er. I don't think I could ever "full time" but we will be going for a month of two at a time. While still working now I do a lot of 9 -16 day vacations over the summer months. My employer doesn't see me much in the summer.... O well,
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:43 PM   #11

Thanks for sharing all your knowledge and experience. At this point, we're leaning toward a NuWa Hitchhiker or Excel. BTW, I called NuWa today and they informed me they stopped production of fivers in January, but will start up again in April with maybe fewer models. They definitely plan to "Hang in there".

Dennis and Lori
Old 03-12-2009, 11:43 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
We did a lot of research prior to going FT last year. While we had a 5th wheel already, and enjoyed it a lot, we knew it wasn't rated for FTing. We ended up with Excel, which is definitely built for and warrantied for full-timing. So far, we have been very happy with our decision. Good Luck!
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:25 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Aside from Newmar; I forgot to add KZ which makes the Escalade and a couple others that are suitable for full timing.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:37 AM   #14

DynaMax is now offering 5er's. Can't attest to them personally, but they do look interesting:

http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/products....cf600f1b32c1b3

Tags
heartland, kz-rv