RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2019, 07:44 PM   #1

What are the good brands of 5erís?

We had a class A, going to move to a 30-35 ft fifth wheel pretty soon. Reading reviews, etc seems like they all can have issues, but some seem better than others. Recommendations?

Samc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2019, 08:11 PM   #2

If you live oit west, anything from Northwood MFG or OutdoorRV in a reasonable price range. Heartland appears to have good rwviews in more expensive trailers. Northwoods Arctic Fox is in the 50-70K range. Hesrtlands can go over a hundred K.

450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:28 PM   #3

There are a lot of us that love our Grand Design products. Every trailer will have some issues, but it's the after the sale customer care where G.D. excels compared to a LOT of other brands.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:53 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Another vote for ORV or Northwood Mfg.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:57 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
One fifth wheel to consider would be the Vanleigh products. Very good after sale customer service. They have contracted with an independent repair facility literally around the corner from the factory. Vanleigh's are all they repair. Check it out.
It is now a division of Tiffin Motorhomes.
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 01:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
We had a class A, going to move to a 30-35 ft fifth wheel pretty soon. Reading reviews, etc seems like they all can have issues, but some seem better than others. Recommendations?
We sold our Dutch Star DSDP and bought a JAYCO fifth wheel. When you own one you can tell JAYCO has been producing RV's for over fifty years. The only manufacturer that designs its own chassis which is model specific. Check them out.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 01:23 PM   #7

Montana has been the #1 selling for about 15 years.
That should tell you something.
Yes there are issues but remember people that are happy rarely post about how good things are.
2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
There are a lot of us that love our Grand Design products. Every trailer will have some issues, but it's the after the sale customer care where G.D. excels compared to a LOT of other brands.
yes, there are a lot of people who love GDRV, but there are also many who arenít enamored with them. I can only speak with personal experience to the one I own. In my case, itís my opinion that they are no better than all the other ďvolume manufacturersĒ, and that in some cases they are worse.

When we were doing our due diligence on our new fifth wheel (2020 Riverstone 39FK), GDRV was not on our short list. I found their product to be poorly constructed, with safety hazards (numerous NHTSA complaints filed against them and LCI for faulty brake seals that splattered grease all over the inside of the brake drums) that they refused to acknowledge, plumbing that has fundamental design flaws that they refuse to acknowledge (research water heater hose failures, as well as the infamous Kantleak water manifold system), and their customer service was lacking unless you purchased new (I purchased a 9-month old 313RLTS and was basically not given the time of day by their excellent customer service because it was ďusedĒ).

All manufacturers have problems no doubt, but I have firsthand experience that I can speak to as it pertains to GDRV.
jim1521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:31 PM   #9

Riverstone

We began our search for a fifth wheel about 18 months ago. The GDRV 313RLTS was my first RV, so I didn’t have a baseline to compare to prior to it. I joined the GDRV forum and learned a great deal about them - good and bad. In the process I also learned about other manufacturers, and my general observation was that they are all basically the same, built “mostly” the same, using the same components (Lippert, Furrion, etc.). Some people that have been around the RV lifestyle for a long time told me to pick out the floor plan that suits you the best, then look at the various manufacturers to see how they’re built, as well as get feedback from actual owners.

We wanted a front kitchen floor plan, and there were very few manufacturers with that plan, so we also put 1.5 bath models on our list. The next factor for us was full timing. In our case the shortlist was Riverstone and DRV Mobile Suites. We liked the Riverstone models from both a floor plan perspective as well as from a construction perspective (3”+ walls for insulation was a biggie) so it was the 39FK for the front kitchen, or the 39RKFB for the 1.5 bath. We then looked at the DRV models, and the 44 HOUSTON model fit the bill for the 1.5 bath (again, 3”+ walls).

Of the three, after speaking with a number of owners of the DRV products, we decided to drop them out of the running as there were just too many concerns that I had (perceived or otherwise) to consider paying a premium for their product. Conversely, speaking with a number of Riverstone owners I didn’t get many (quite frankly ANY) issues with them. So in the end, it was just the front kitchen vs. 1.5 bath decision.

I’m going into this with eyes wide open. I knew what questions to ask - ESPECIALLY regarding warranty service and how to get it - and I know that there will be some problems at the start. And I’m OK with that. We’ve worked extremely closely with my dealer and Riverstone/Forest River directly. They’re been great to work with. We’ve been in regular communication regarding status, engineering change requests, customization, and they have ensured that everything is as I’ve requested.

Of course, the proof will ultimately be in the end product itself when delivered. I’m looking forward to writing a summary of how Riverstone and Jeff Couch’s RV Nation did afterwards, but so far they’ve exceeded my expectations.
jim1521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:44 PM   #10

My Rockwood 5er by Forest River has been really good for us.....4 cross country trips and I spend 6 months a year in Arizona with it.....it's a rear kitchen and has big windows...
Old 09-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2late View Post
Montana has been the #1 selling for about 15 years.
That should tell you something.
Yes there are issues but remember people that are happy rarely post about how good things are.
We just spent 30 days in 6 states and I can say for sure that there were more Solitudes and Montanas combined than any other brand in all the places we stayed at.
After it would be Cougar and Reflection 5th wheels.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:59 PM   #12

Good depends on the task you ask it to do. Weather you ask it to endure. And lastly budget helps too. If you want top of the line best of the best. Get a Continental by Forks RV. they went out a few years aho but a better 5ver you prob wont find.Or a spacecraft. next tier down would be New horizons.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:51 PM   #13

I hav e a 2003 Teton and it is in grat shape after all these years full time in it. Sadely only way to get this quality now is custom build.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2015 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:52 PM   #14

Arctic Fox 5th wheels are probably built the most solid of the mass produced 5th wheels. Since you live in New Mexico they are a least within a few hundred miles to see one. I just looked at them a few days ago in Hammersville Ohio 35 miles east of Cincinnati.

But the top dogs are the custom builders New Horizons, Spacecraft and Forks RV. The trouble with these 5th wheels is I can afford the 5th wheel or I can afford the truck to pull it...but not both.

I would then say the Augusta Luxe and DRV Mobil Suits. I think Augusta Luxe is still in business.

Then you have all the rest like Jayco Pinnacle, Heartland Landmark, and the like top 5th wheels from the mass producers.

tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote