Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2015, 07:46 PM   #1

What are the top 4 Fifth Wheels these days ..in order of priority

Like the title says

It's been a while since I looked at new fifth wheel trailers.

What are the best ones available these days . By priority one thru four...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2015, 08:11 PM   #2

1. Continental Coach, SpaceCraft, New Horizons - tied

2. DRV Mobile Suites, Augusta Luxe - tied

3. LifeStyle
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:15 PM   #3

Augusta Luxe???? Not enough info yet. Can't find anyone that has one that posts either.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:45 PM   #4

This question needs to be modified to What's the best fifth wheel trailer for $______ that's ______ feet long and has the following furniture configuration: ____________.

Everyone has different needs for a trailer. Not every person needs a 17,000 pound fifth wheel trailer that almost requires a medium duty truck to tow. Not everyone lives full time on the road.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:28 AM   #5

I agree with Bamaman not everyone wants the same thing in a 5'er. What works for one person don't work for everyone. It's a matter of personal taste and budget.
sunnybrook3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
1. Continental Coach, SpaceCraft, New Horizons - tied

2. DRV Mobile Suites, Augusta Luxe - tied

3. LifeStyle
This
The op dint mention dollars so tuff 's list is correct (imho)

Op you want to spend $$$,$$$.$$ ? they are beautiful.

I have seen video tours of all the coaches above , posted on U tube.
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:51 AM   #7

I have a 40' Diesel Alpine now....but have had 5er's

I'm helping a friend that is retiring in January.

"Nice" ...but best bang for the buck. Definitely not looking for a cheaply made unit...but not excessive posh ( Prevost type) if you get my drift.

I've had several 5ers thru the years...this is his first. He wants a nice 36' or so...$70-$80K??

He has a new one ton Long Horn Dodge Dually to pull it with.

Thanks...Stan
Old 03-28-2015, 09:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by StansCustoms View Post
I have a 40' Diesel Alpine now....but have had 5er's

I'm helping a friend that is retiring in January.

"Nice" ...but best bang for the buck. Definitely not looking for a cheaply made unit...but not excessive posh ( Prevost type) if you get my drift.

I've had several 5ers thru the years...this is his first. He wants a nice 36' or so...$70-$80K??

He has a new one ton Long Horn Dodge Dually to pull it with.

Thanks...Stan
If you want to stay in the mid-price range of 5er's then I would suggest the following.

Forest Rivers top of the line models such as Dynamax, Blue Ridge, Cardinal, and Cedar Creek and then the Keystone line of models such as Alpine and Montana to name a few. Also the Solitude by Grand Design and the Artic Fox by Northwood manufacturing. There maybe others that are available but these where the ones that I considered when looking for a new 2015 fifth wheel. I ended up with a Cedar Creek 34RL for my needs.

Jim W.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:59 AM   #9

New DRV owner

I am a new Mobile Suite Owner and spent countless hours doing my due diligence prior to the purchase...IMO at my price point I could not find a 5th wheel that was comparable in quality and construction to this unit...It has a 15"frame 17.5"H rated tires 3.25" walls filled with wool insulation...It is also equipped with Trailair suspension and Trailair pinbox...It is a 38RSSB3 model,it is 101" wide...The downside, it is very heavy but my truck handled it perfectly,I purchaced it 800 miles from where I live...We have not been out in it yet but will be in the next two weeks...My previous 5th wheel was an Excel 35FLE Limited it was a good unit but not as well built as this one...
suiteowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:47 PM   #10

In that price range DRV is likely best choice. Should check out Augusta Luxe Rv but I cannot recommend them since so little info is available.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 03-29-2015, 10:15 AM   #11

If he is looking new, $70-80k isn't going to get much in a DRV...maybe a base 32, or a base Traditions. If looking used, that would get some nice ones.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:21 AM   #12

I priced a new 38' MS 2 years ago for 83,000 from Gilette Rv.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:48 PM   #13

The 80K mark will buy a very nice rig but not the top tier.

I would look at a late model used DRV Mobile Suits...not the much lower Tradition.

Most of the more common top model's by the mass producing manufacturers can be had for 70 to 80k and would make an ok unit. Like the Solitude, Columbus, Montana, Cardinal, Infinity, Lifestyle, Trilogy, Stoneridge, Pinnacle, Brookstone and a few others.

From what I can tell these 5th wheels can come with some nice options. Residential Refrigerators, 6 point leveling, huge TV's, large showers, stacked washer/dryer, Dual pane windows etc.

Once you get past the custom rigs. You still have DRV and Lifestyle as the top dog. If you drop into the mass produced units it becomes more difficult to say which ones are better than the others. Is a Montana better than a Solitude or Infinity or Cedar Creek? Who knows?

Good luck trying to lead your friend.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:06 PM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
We have been driving around the past few weekends looking at fivers as well. We are considering changing our 45'DP for a fiver for full timing. Anyway here is what we have looked at so far, and our only real must have was auto leveling and 38'+.

DRV MS, Lifestyle, Grand Design Solitude, Redwood, Cedar Creek, Rushmore, Columbus, Cardinal, Montana, Trilogy....I think that is it so far.

In order based on construction, cabinets, eyesight quality and hominess:

DRV and Lifestyle hands down (was actually very impressed with the Lifestyle)
Trilogy, good looking rig
Redwood, Cardinal (couldn't tell much difference)

And then the rest. Again though in our opinion the DRV and the Lifestyle were tops out of what we have looked at so far.

Now I did talk to a guy at New Horizons last week on the phone (they are way out of our budget, but were talking used). And I was actually surprised that he flat out said that in his opinion the best mass produced fiver on the road was hands down the DRV.

Anyway, I don't know if we will even look at much more as I don't think there is anything better out there than what we have already looked at without getting into big $$$. So now to decide whether to go the fiver route or stay with the coach.

BTW, you can find a 2014 DRV MS in the 36-38' range that is practically brand new for 75-80K