RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2018, 05:32 PM   #1

what do you consider heavy when towing a fifth wheel

when it come to the andersen ultimate 5w hitch, i hear people say:

i wouldn't use that hitch if i was towing a heavy 5W.

so here is my question: define heavy when it comes to a 5W using the AUH

2016 f350 6.7ccsb

2019 columbus 366rl

jrms88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2018, 05:54 PM   #2

it finally made it

are surprise came in today,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1334.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	208160  

Old 06-23-2018, 02:47 AM   #3

Listen, there are several videos available that show that hitch with bent tubes and damaged 5th wheels... I was in a RV shop and looked at one after seeing the videos.. I have been towing for over 25 years and moved from the Atwood stuff to the B&W goose neck and companion hitch after the Atwood stuff wore out.

I personally would be afraid of the Anderson stuff... and after the videos its almost scary....

I purchased my companion hitch in 02 and have had to buy several kits for the truck, as the truck manufacture has changed the bed configuration but I'm still on that first companion hitch. Now with at least 200K on it...

I had one of my employees total a truck and commercial trailer, bent the trailer frame, the truck frame but the goose neck hitch on the B&W system never came loose and never pulled loose from the frame... the trailer at the time weighed almost 22K lbs, and the frame on the truck bent like a pretzel...

Go and do the search... I'd hate to damage that wonderful new trailer... just my thoughts here..
Old 06-23-2018, 08:02 AM   #4

If it were me and I had the 5th wheel prep kit I'd go with a Reese Goosneck. Much cleaner and easier.
I have the 5th wheel prep kit but already had a rail version B&W so I just bought the rail adapter from Reese.
I would love it if someone took the heavy B&W off my hands so I could take the money and put it towards the GN. I've been using the B&W for 5 season, not towing heavy though. It's built like a tank. Zero issues.
I know this doesn't answer your question, just throwing out some food for thought.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:37 AM   #5

Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch is Rated at 24,000 lbs GTWR and 4,500 lbs tongue weight

Pretty much the same as a standard 5th wheel hitch

Failures......
YES

So has just about every other hitch made.
Man made it.man can destroy it

Sometimes it IS design flaws.......BUT Majority of incidents are Operator Failure either from improper installations to usages.
Man is a dummy and can NOT be fully protected from his stupidity

For the rest of us.......its a good hitch
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:50 PM   #6
IC2

Towing heavy to my thinking starts in at about 12,000 pounds and goes up from there to whatever the heaviest 5er weighs in at. Others may (will?) differ

As far as using an Anderson Hitch, I strongly suggest that you contact your RV manufacturer or Lippert who builds a majority of the current RV frames. Lippert is supposedly denying warranty work if you use an Anderson. That's hearsay but has been voiced several times on various RV forums so again, the RV manufacturer or Lippert would be the authority.

When we bought our last 5er, I called the manufacturer and they told me not to use a goose neck adapter or Anderson hitches.so went with a B&W though any of the other conventional hitches would have worked too plus maintained my warranty.

Your choice but be informed by RV manufacturers, not by any forum opinions.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:06 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Recently when from a 26K rail to the newer B&W companion. Easy assembly & install, tows my 12K+ 5W flawlessly. My favorite part is it is effortless to disconnect, no more pulling stubborn releases. Pull the locking pin and rotate the handle forward - done.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Towing heavy to my thinking starts in at about 12,000 pounds and goes up from there to whatever the heaviest 5er weighs in at. Others may (will?) differ
^X2 I'd tend to agree 12,000 for SRW, 18,000 for DRW. Each individual & vehicle can vary widely by the way it's equipped.

In my yrs. of driving I prefer the recent factory "Puck" type frame mounted towing hardware developments. With a load rating appropriate for the load plus reserve capacity.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Yamaha-G22E
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrms88 View Post
when it come to the andersen ultimate 5w hitch, i hear people say:

i wouldn't use that hitch if i was towing a heavy 5W.

so here is my question: define heavy when it comes to a 5W using the AUH

2016 f350 6.7ccsb

2019 columbus 366rl
We have the Anderson and pull a DRV Mobile Suites Estates. Dry weight is 16,000. Gross weight on the fiver is 21,000. There is nothing wrong with the Anderson or any other hitch for that matter. User error is the problem. I will leave it at that!
foretravelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:35 AM   #10

I have been towing heavy 5th wheels with the Andersen hitch for three years and about 30,000 trouble free miles. Our Mobile Suites 39DBRS3 weighs approx 21,000 lbs gross.

We have been coast to coast, north to south over all types of terrain towing with our Andersen. Towing is smooth and quiet - no clanging and banging when starting or stopping, no chucking. No climbing in and out of the bed or over the hips of the dually to hitch up or unhitch. The hitch can be easily installed or removed in a few minutes by one person.

I can't imagine why I would ever want to go back to a conventional hitch.

Happy trails,
Old 06-24-2018, 08:50 PM   #11

I towed with the Andersen for 5 years, 21k, 18k and 19k (until a few months ago), I have no trouble recommending the AUH. I would have kept it but it didn't work with the new truck due to the large footprint and height.

IMO, properly installed and used it is as strong as any other hitch in this weight category. I've seen people argue on another forum saying, 'I wouldn't trust that skimpy 2 5/16" ball towing my 12k trailer'. But funny, those balls never fail towing a 30k gooseneck. What you're never gonna see is a bent pinbox in combination with the AUH. As for anything else, if you come across a bent hitch, Andersen or 5th wheel, get the background information. Talk to owners at the campground when you see one.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Explorers View Post
I have been towing heavy 5th wheels with the Andersen hitch for three years and about 30,000 trouble free miles. Our Mobile Suites 39DBRS3 weighs approx 21,000 lbs gross.

We have been coast to coast, north to south over all types of terrain towing with our Andersen. Towing is smooth and quiet - no clanging and banging when starting or stopping, no chucking. No climbing in and out of the bed or over the hips of the dually to hitch up or unhitch. The hitch can be easily installed or removed in a few minutes by one person.

I can't imagine why I would ever want to go back to a conventional hitch.

Happy trails,
is your AUH the rail version or aluminum version?
Old 06-26-2018, 09:07 AM   #13

BIG TRUCK BIG RV on YouTube has the answers/evaluations/honesty....good guy. Many myths Ive clarified.....https://youtu.be/1EgAbrX3JCU
GypsyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:16 PM   #14
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyNomad View Post
BIG TRUCK BIG RV on YouTube has the answers/evaluations/honesty....good guy. Many myths Ive clarified.....https://youtu.be/1EgAbrX3JCU
....and who has updated to a B&W hitch after trying an AUH.

Tags
fifth wheel, tow, towing