Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #1

What do you think...?

We're about to buy our first 5th wheel, a 2007 Travel Supreme River Canyon 34 RLTSO FW in apparently very good condition. We're told by the dealer, Endless Summer RVs in Thurmond, MD, that this is a very good 4 season unit with a long life expectancy.

Thoughts?

Suggestions?

Comments?

Anything?

Anyone?
tgrichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Be sure to check the floors under the slides for soft spots and rot. Make them pull a few screws from the slide lower trim edges, if they break off or are rusted that will mean water intrusions.Not good. Run the slide in and out MANY times. Should be smooth with even operation and binding. Check all slides for a good seal. Get a water hose out and spray them down both open and closed posistions. Enjoy.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:40 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Do not believe ANYTHING a dealer tells you until you verify it for yourself. There is a reason a unit that new is for sale on a used RV lot. Chief has some good advice. I would suggest you insist on talking to the previous owner before you do anything else. If the dealer refuses or is reluctant, walk away. A reputable dealer won't hesitate to put you in contact with the previous owner . . . unless he has something to hide.

JP
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrichards View Post
We're about to buy our first 5th wheel, a 2007 Travel Supreme River Canyon 34 RLTSO FW in apparently very good condition. We're told by the dealer, Endless Summer RVs in Thurmond, MD, that this is a very good 4 season unit with a long life expectancy.

Thoughts?

Suggestions?

Comments?

Anything?

Anyone?
This was my advice to someone else who was looking for a 4-seasons fifth wheel.
"Hi, first welcome to the forum.
You are on the right path in looking for information on a good four seasons 5er.
I would recommend purchasing a membership into RV consumer reviews. This is a non-profit organization that reviews RV units from 5ers to motor homes and everything in between. Most dealers use this as the bible for rating RV units and what they will pay for on trade-in.
Here is the link. http://www.jrconsumer.com/default.asp
Most good quality four seasons units will be in the $75,000 neighborhood and you will need to tow then with a 1 ton Dually or larger. Such as a 4500 or 5500 Cab and Chassis truck with a 5er package on it.
Just my $0.02."
I am a member of "TDR" which is a Dodge Cummins forum and several members state this same advice every time someone ask about a RV unit. This is the best money you can spend and will save you money in the long run.

Jim W.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #5

Thanks, Jim W.

Thanks for your suggestions. I did purchase a report as you suggested. I have to say I was disappointed in the quality/content of the report on one particular 5er I'm considering, an 07 River Canyon 34 RLSTO. And, when I expressed my dissatisfaction jrconsumer.com offered and refunded my money.
tgrichards is offline   Reply With Quote