Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2015, 08:45 AM   #15

Hmmm...it appears I need to begin a lottery ticket subscription.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2015, 08:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan76 View Post
Read quite a few posts that refer to "chucking". Can someone explain?
TheOldMan
See: https://www.etrailer.com/question-13754.html

Old 12-09-2015, 11:51 AM   #17

A Moryde pin box will just about end chucking. Trail air offers pin boxes with air bag and shock. Check them out on line.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:52 PM   #18
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan76 View Post
Read quite a few posts that refer to "chucking". Can someone explain?
"Chucking" (as far as I've ever known) has to do with an improperly adjusted 5th wheel hitch. ie: play in the hitch setup allowing unnecessary movement and causing jarring on take off and braking. It can even affect the ride over humps.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:27 PM   #19

I think if you ask ten different people what causes it, you will get ten different answers and they likely all will be right in their situation.

Steve
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:20 PM   #20

My hitch was so worn out that it made a clunk sound on take off and stopping. I had 3/16 inch slop from wear. I am near level. Stock factory shocks on 5r. 1800# hitch weight. Pin is 1/2 inch forward of axle. Never had chucking with this TV or the last one.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:47 AM   #21

"Chucking" has nothing to with a sloppy hitch that is just hitch slop! Chucking is the fore and aft tugging pushing that the RV does to the TV when going over bridge for example.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:31 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
"Chucking" has nothing to with a sloppy hitch that is just hitch slop! Chucking is the fore and aft tugging pushing that the RV does to the TV when going over bridge for example.
Maybe, but amplified with a sloppy hitch.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:52 PM   #23

In my mind this is what happens- Chucking

Assume that you are going down the highway in a steady state condition. Level ground, constant speed, smooth pavement etc. this would take a constant amount of power (energy). Now you come to a concrete slab that is say 1 inch higher than than the previous slab.

When the front wheels of the TV contacts the higher slab the front of the TV has to raise which also compresses the front springs to absorb the 1 inch change. It takes energy to raise the TV and to compress the springs (i.e. the TV is going up hill). This energy is subtracted from the energy that is maintaining the constant speed which momentarily slows the TV. At the same time the RV momentum is pushing the RV ahead, Chucking! The same thing happens when the rear wheels of the TV contacts the higher slab, Chucking!

When the RV tires contact the 1 inch higher slab the same thing happens except that the RV momentarily slows while the TV is continuing to maintain the constant speed. Chucking!

When the TV comes down off the higher slab the TV momentarily gains speed (i.e. It is going down hill) while the RV is maintaining your constant speed, Chucking!

When the RV comes off the higher slab, same thing except the opposite- The RV momentarily speeds up while the TV is maintaining constant speed, Chucking.

Of course the more slop there is between the hitch pin/hitch jaws and in fact the whole hitch assembly the worse the Chucking. From some of the TDR comments it seems that some outfits are worse than others.

I am sure that some member that is more of a mathematician than me could calculate the energy gain/loss for say a TV with a 3,000# front axle/ 5,000 rear axle weight and a RV with a 10,000 axle weight.
1998 Hitchhiker ll, mod#31RLBGBW, RBW L'tl Rocker Hitch, Generac NP50 G generator
richardcoxid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:14 PM   #24

Oops forgot to x the email notification option!
1998 Hitchhiker ll, mod#31RLBGBW, RBW L'tl Rocker Hitch, Generac NP50 G generator
richardcoxid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:18 PM   #25
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardcoxid View Post
In my mind this is what happens- Chucking

Assume that you are going down the highway in a steady state condition. Level ground, constant speed, smooth pavement etc. this would take a constant amount of power (energy). Now you come to a concrete slab that is say 1 inch higher than than the previous slab.

When the front wheels of the TV contacts the higher slab the front of the TV has to raise which also compresses the front springs to absorb the 1 inch change. It takes energy to raise the TV and to compress the springs (i.e. the TV is going up hill). This energy is subtracted from the energy that is maintaining the constant speed which momentarily slows the TV. At the same time the RV momentum is pushing the RV ahead, Chucking! The same thing happens when the rear wheels of the TV contacts the higher slab, Chucking!

When the RV tires contact the 1 inch higher slab the same thing happens except that the RV momentarily slows while the TV is continuing to maintain the constant speed. Chucking!

When the TV comes down off the higher slab the TV momentarily gains speed (i.e. It is going down hill) while the RV is maintaining your constant speed, Chucking!

When the RV comes off the higher slab, same thing except the opposite- The RV momentarily speeds up while the TV is maintaining constant speed, Chucking.

Of course the more slop there is between the hitch pin/hitch jaws and in fact the whole hitch assembly the worse the Chucking. From some of the TDR comments it seems that some outfits are worse than others.

I am sure that some member that is more of a mathematician than me could calculate the energy gain/loss for say a TV with a 3,000# front axle/ 5,000 rear axle weight and a RV with a 10,000 axle weight.
Why don't they call that "Bucking" as it's an up and down motion like a bronc?
Old 12-12-2015, 07:39 PM   #26

People also call it Proposing.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:27 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
People also call it Proposing.

Heh. Some might say that proposing is a risky endeavor.

Porpoising?
Old 12-13-2015, 11:50 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurg View Post
Heh. Some might say that proposing is a risky endeavor.

Porpoising?
OOPS! Auto correct got me. Thanks