Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My old fifth wheel was about 11000 lbs with trailer tires(65psi). The only way I knew the trailer tire blew was smoke in the mirrors. No damage to the trailer. Also had a truck rear blowout but I knew it right away. No control problems and an easy pull to the side of the road.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #16

As was noted on a tandem axle trailer you probably won't experience any serious, or perhaps even noticeable, handling issues and you may or may not even know a tire has failed if you don't hear it. In that case the remaining tire on that side will be grossly overloaded and will likely fail soon as well if the overload isn't rectified. Then you will have both tires out on one side, and I expect that would be very dangerous and could lead to a loss of control. That is why a TPMS system is absolutely mandatory for safety IMO. A lot can happen while you are travelling down the road and merely checking pressures in the morning is simply not adequate.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bill Cosby, in one of his recorded monologs talked about the advice given by mothers "Always wear clean underwear cause you might be involved in an accident and go to hospital".

Bill's comment: First you say it, then you do it. (I'll let you figure out what "IT" is but trust me, after doing it, you will need clean underware,,,, again._

I have blown tires on cars at everything from too slow to measure to 82mph.. And to be honest, I did not find it that scary.. But then I know not to stand on the brakes, roll over, and die. Far too many do just that.

I do recommend "These videos which may save your life".

I believe they are linked to by a post here in these forums, or you can try RV Safety & Education Foundation for a link.. They are not kidding, I learned watching them.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #18

We've had 3 tires blow out (different times) with no loss of control. We didn't feel or hear anything with any of them. With the first one DH saw black bits coming out the side of the trailer. The second one I happened to be looking in the side mirror when it blew. The third one was on I 476 (PA turnpike) and we had to stop at a toll booth and I smelled burned rubber. Never any damage, Drv puts a metal shield above the tires and it helped protect the slide. I know other Drv owners that have had fender damage. No loss of control on any blowout, it would seem more likely to have loss of control with a MH.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #19

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Theres a loud pop and the air comes out.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Lost one on a Kountry Star that took out the wiring to the slide room. Never knew it let go till someone driving beside me flagged me down. Lost another the next year on 95 in South Carolina. had the window open and heard it blow. Blew another on a Big Horn that I again heard blow but still lost some aluminum panels behind the wheel. Never had any movement in the trailer.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #21

I had front right tire blow on a 38 foot gas newmar mountainaire.It was about 11:00 at night on 301 headed to Ocala fl. Luckily I had a stabilizer and did not have a problem except for haveing to change my pants.It did pull but nothing I could not control and did no damage to the front.Biggest problem was pulling off into the high weeds and getting spare down from underneath to change.I think we were back on the road in less than a hour.I now have diesel and will have to call for service if that happens.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Again, back on the subject of 5th wheel tire problems,,,,not motorhomes, I have heard a faint pop, but never had any loss of control. Again I have always towed my 5ers with a dually.
Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #23

Sorry,didn't see anyplace it excluded motorhomes.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't know, I've never had a blow out on an RV and only one on a car ('97 Jeep GC, GoodYear tire on the rear). But I've only been driving for 50+ years too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #25

We had a tire shred itself. When it exploded, My wife asked me if the car next to us had backfired. I said what car? The lane was empty. Trailer never swayed, truck never wiggled.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I only had one tire failure on a single axle boat trailer and that tire went slowly over 40 miles. I tried to limp it home by taking back roads and reducing speed to 25 - 30 mph but came up 10 miles short. There was no loss of control ever. I imagine it is different with a 15,000 lb. 5th wheel. So can only 1 tire get you home if you can slow down. What damage does the blown tire cause. How likely is a blown tire to happen? I would like to understand how to avoid it and what to expect if/when it happens. Also - is it less likely to happen on a cold day vs a hot day.
Just to keep the OP thread from being hijacked.

AS suggested a TPMS on a trailer makes cents/sense. Many times the booom can't be heard. Many times the tire ran hot from low pressure and started slinging itself to pieces. And most of the time a flat can't be felt on heavier trailers especially tri axles.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote