Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #1

What is the most affordable Satellite Internet Service you can get now a days?????

When on Shore power most of the RV Parks offer Wi-Fi for high speed internet. Some offer direct wire through a cable company that is not DSL. Some offer DSL.
I had seen an ad/commercial for a couple who were boon docking and had Satellite High Speed Internet but paid no attention to it. Now I have heard more about it, and was wondering if it is all it is cracked up to be. Do any of you full time 5ver's have it and if so what is the cost of install and monthly thereafter if any.
I work in health care and most of the time I have to find a park that offers hard wired high speed internet for my job. I prefer hard wired TV cable High Speed over dial up or Wi-Fi as most of my work equipment is not wireless capable.

The Satellite may be a good option for me from a speed standpoint and as well work anywhere even when I am not in a park?

Any opinions out there or advice on the subject?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
The most affordable may not be adequate. I would check out Hughs Net (1-866-943-8644) they have been around for a long time and could have the answer for you.

Also I think some of the Cradle Point Routers and such have hard wiring capabilities that may suit you needs.

Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:14 AM   #3

We do not have satellite internet, but when we looked into it a few years ago high speed was not the selling point. Access everywhere you could see the sky was the big advantage. Initial equipment costs were very high, there were some pretty tight usage limits, and the monthly costs were not especially inexpensive. Datastorm seems to be a satellite provider name heard most often in rv circles.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I called Hughes Net when I first started full timing. They told me they would not hook up their service to an RV. It had to be a stationary structure. Maybe I was sold a line of stuff, but I've been using my wireless since.

I checked out data storm too but a bit too pricey for my blood.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
We do not have satellite internet, but when we looked into it a few years ago high speed was not the selling point. Access everywhere you could see the sky was the big advantage. Initial equipment costs were very high, there were some pretty tight usage limits, and the monthly costs were not especially inexpensive. Datastorm seems to be a satellite provider name heard most often in rv circles.
Basically what jzick said. The limits tend to be daily limits and reset. About $70/month in fees once you have the equipment which is $3k-$5k and up. Internet everywhere you can see the sky ios the main plus. The more $ (initial and monthly) the higher the speed and higher the limits. You can get faster than firehouse if you want.

Contact Mobil Satellite Technologies | Satellite Installation | Satellite Connectivity | RV Satellite they are one of the largest satellite installers and more importantly ISPs and sell a couple different providers - their whole business is mobile (cars, RVs, boats....). I use MobilSat (install and ISP) on a HughesNet dish/bird.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #6

Thank you for the information. I guess if I want the most affordable situation, it would be the Wi-Fi or hard connect through a cable company if offered at the Parks.

I will do some more research on the information you all provided me. :O)
Old 03-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #7

You can also get pretty reasonable internet service from the wireless phone companies. This would only work when there is cell service, so basically, if you can make a phone call, you would have internet. My wife and I have a gadget called a Mifi from Verizonwireless. You just push a button on this credit card sized little box and it connects to Verizon, and broadcasts a wireless connection. My wife and I can both connect our laptops at the same time and get pretty good internet service. Many of the new smartphones can also act like a Mifi and broadcast a wireless signal, but you can't use your phone while connected to the internet.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #8

A smartphone will work in several ways. Some (most?) can be hooked to the PC with a USB cable and allow the PC to use the data feature of the phone. Some have a Mobile Hotspot for WiFi and ususally up to 5 connected devices. The phone feature overrides everything, so you can make and receive calls and it temporarily suspends data service, which returns soon after the call is ended. Costs vary by carrier, minutes, and so on, but usually total in the hunderd $$ range.

There are WiFi cards available for most PCs and are plug and play if you do not have WiFi on the PC. Seem to rum about $30 last time I looked.

Depends on which carrier you would use and their coverage in the areas you go. Trees and overhead obstructions destroy most satellite signals and sometimes the phone signal as well.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:58 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Our MIFI (Verizon) works well, works most everywhere and most conventiently it works while traveling down the interstate it costs about $60 monthly. If you have a fixed land line with them the MIFI can be packaged at a discount.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #10

We have Wildblue satellite service at home because we live in the country and can't get anything faster. It only has a download top speed of 1.5 meg download. That's not very fast when you're used to getting 7 to 10 on cable. We are disappointed but it's the best we can get now. It's not fast enough to stream movies or use for a phone. The fastest speed is what we have and it costs $90 a month.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radargilb View Post
We have Wildblue satellite service at home because we live in the country and can't get anything faster. It only has a download top speed of 1.5 meg download. That's not very fast when you're used to getting 7 to 10 on cable. We are disappointed but it's the best we can get now. It's not fast enough to stream movies or use for a phone. The fastest speed is what we have and it costs $90 a month.
We used Hughesnet for many years- same thing, stick house out in the country with no alternatives.

The speeds are slow compared to cable (although I'm told they've gotten better in the last year), bandwidth is limited (although you have a "free download period" in the middle of the night, and customer service is in India.

We switched to Millenicom ($59/mo/20 gigs on the Verizon network)with a Novatel 760 aircard and a Cradlepoint CTR35 router and a and got better speed and more gigs of usage for less money than Hughesnet.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #12

You might consider Wifi. The WifiRanger is combination LAN device with four ports as well wireless broadcast. A Verizon network card can be plugged into the Wifiranger for an internet connection. If interested try www.wifiranger.net for the combination router and wireless local network. Look into Millenicom.com for an aircard. Depending on the plan they have Verizon or Sprint. Recommend Verizon as it has the widest and best coverage throughout the US. If only concerned with being close to cities then Sprint may work just as well. Finally this system can be used anytime and anyplace by you. Does not require anything special from you.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is not a lot of competition at the low end (price wise) I would suggest Hughes

However another suggestion: Many Thousand Trails parks still use Verizon 2-way Satellite internet. The performance is much like hughes. Spend a night at a TT park, or if there is one close enough, find out if they use Verizon sat internet and pay 'em a visit with your laptop.

This is not exactly the same, but unless there is heavy usage, it will be close.

NOTE: Some parks have "Upgraded" like the one where I'm at.

TT will let just anyone in now days for a small fee per night.

Tags
satellite, service