Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2019, 03:54 PM   #1

What is the switch go to?

I don't think that the year really matters or the model but this is a 1996 travel supreme 5th wheel and near the sink above the oven is a switch and above that switch is a light and when I flip the switch the light turns on and generator kicks into high gear I'm trying to figure out what it goes to my thought is that it's the switch to turn on the battery charger. There's another switch it's a dometic water heater switch with a light that's similar but more 12-volt style switch so I know it's not that the only other thing I could think that would draw a bunch of power would be the refrigerator or furnace it's not the AC because that was running before I put the sweat I'll also mention that the switch was on when I bought it. Sorry about the grammar this is a voice to text from my phone.

Bottom left switch with the light above it too looks like a light switch sidewaysClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191105_174902643.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	265958
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2019, 05:47 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
while either plugged into outside source or running the generator have the switch off. Have several of your ceiling lights on. Flip the switch on. If the ceiling lights brighten up even a little bit you are correct in assuming it is your converter/charger.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:54 PM   #3

My guess is it’s the 120vac switch for the electric element of the water heater—that is if you have a dual power water heater. Turning switch ON would cause the generator to speed up as the element is drawing amps.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:00 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Holy run-on sentence, Batman! I agree it is likely the water heater. Placement does not make sense for battery charger.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:45 PM   #5

I agree it is the water heater element switch. Take the cover off your water heater. On the lower left corner there should be a small black rocker switch. Turn that to the off position then try your switch inside. If your generator doesn't rev, you have your answer.

The small red switch is for the propane portion of your water heater.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:39 AM   #6

Thanks guys, good info!
Old 11-06-2019, 06:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Holy run-on sentence, Batman!.
I don't know how old the OP is but I have noticed a lot of younger folks email & post like they are texting. I am horrible at grammar, but I find this annoys me occasionally. I guess it really shouldn't matter cause they are getting their point across.
PulNSerenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:11 AM   #8

Another vote for the electric water heater element.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:16 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Laser cannons...
Old 11-06-2019, 08:28 AM   #10

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulNSerenity View Post
I don't know how old the OP is but I have noticed a lot of younger folks email & post like they are texting. I am horrible at grammar, but I find this annoys me occasionally. I guess it really shouldn't matter cause they are getting their point across.
I use speech-to-text all the time and I still use proper grammar and punctuation. "Hi hon (period) Can you please give me a call (question mark)" I'm good enough that it frustrates me when I want use more specific punctuation, like colon, semi-colon, parens, etc. I use it so much that if I leave a VM for someone I'll start doing speech-to-text. :-) Catch hell for it, too. :-)

FWIW, back in the old dial-up BBS days of off-line mail readers, there was one character on one of the fora that I read that was so notorious for his lousy writing skills that most of us simply kill-filed him as we didn't have the time to decipher his messages.

Lyle

Tags
switch