Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2013, 09:07 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
What size portable Waste Tank for 5r?

Thinking of picking up portable waste tank/tote for KOTR 5r.
I have 2 grey water and 1 black holding tanks. I really do not want to go over board on size yet not too small either. Just curious what the best size tote anyone recommends.
Wife and I and we really would not want to do every day.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2013, 10:33 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Just like luggage, get one big enough to hold your [moderator edit] sewage/water . ...BUT not so big it is a pain to drag to the nearest dump site. Also keep in mind the place you plan to store the stinky thing when traveling.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm not sure, we have a 65 gallon grey tank and a 40 gallon black. No matter what size we'd buy it'd take more than one trip anyway.
Actually we've never felt the need for one.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #4

My 5er has a smallish 33 gallon holding black tank. We bought a 35 gallon tote. I always like the tote to be big enough to really reduce chance of overflow issues.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 30 or 32 gallon blue tote for the few times we need it.

Do look for one with the larger wheels.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #6

Angry

One item to consider is how much weight you can handle. At about 10 lbs. per gallon (sewer) it can add up quickly. Some come with a bail that you can attach to the tank and tow it with your truck. As posted above, you need one with the bigger wheels. And it is not a lot of fun to drag a couple hundred pounds of water up hill or to try to stand it up to empty at the dump station. A 35 gallon until could weigh up to 350 lbs. fully loaded.
Swamp Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought the 22 gallon size because it would fit inside my storage compartment. Also the weight of a bigger two wheel size is too much for this 73 year old man. If you have room for the four wheel model, you can go bigger because the tank does not have to be tilted like the two wheel models.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
IC2

We have a 22 gallon portable tank. It is a real hand full when it's full of nasties since each gallon of water weighs 8.34 ounds (~183 pounds worth) which I again proved to myself this season when we overloaded the black tank and I had to drag it to the CG dump station once full and once. Even if you have a way to drag it to the dump station with your TV, you still have to manhandle it to get it to the drain, open the cap then stand it upright
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #9

30G. blue tank, which we seldom used. It's probably traveled 40K miles and been used 3-4 times in 12 years, which was prior to learning how to practice water management (DW mainly) when dry camping. Since we bought the MH, the tank has never been moved out of storage.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Get a portable pump that grinds your Rv waste. Put a metal tank (or rubber bladder) in the bed of your truck. Pump the sewage into it and use gravity to dump. Eliminates storing and towing plastic blue tote and tank in truck carries larger capacity meaning less trips.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
THe tote should be AT LEAST as big as the largest tank full it has to tote.. NOTE. if you have 3 waste tanks, Nothing wrong with three trips

But trying to put 30 gallons of waste in a 20 gallon tote.. NOT going to work.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #12
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
THe tote should be AT LEAST as big as the largest tank full it has to tote.. NOTE. if you have 3 waste tanks, Nothing wrong with three trips

But trying to put 30 gallons of waste in a 20 gallon tote.. NOT going to work.
Let's see - 2x55 for our 5er I'm a tough OF, but 55gallons x8.34#/gal =~460# just ain't gonna be something anyone I know can handle

Sorry but I just had to say it

OK, back to being serious - you manage the flow with the knife shut off valves for each of those tanks. Yes, you may (will!)have minor spills, but regardless of how careful you are there will always be some drip when you use those blasted tanks. Also. wear your nitrile gloves (Harbor Freight $7.99/100 as of yesterday) if you are squeamish.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:00 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Let's see - 2x55 for our 5er I'm a tough OF, but 55gallons x8.34#/gal =~460# just ain't gonna be something anyone I know can handle

Sorry but I just had to say it

OK, back to being serious - you manage the flow with the knife shut off valves for each of those tanks. Yes, you may (will!)have minor spills, but regardless of how careful you are there will always be some drip when you use those blasted tanks. Also. wear your nitrile gloves (Harbor Freight $7.99/100 as of yesterday) if you are squeamish.
They sell a cap with a full indicator built into it. This will take care of the overfill problem.

Tags
tank